collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Rotterdam Day  (Read 17243 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Happy Rotterdam Day
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2022, 11:30:20 PM »
Fair enough but the fact that Hansen only got 26 caps for Scotland suggests their selections sometimes left a little to be desired.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2022, 11:31:48 PM »
It's hard to accumulate caps when you've been knocked out 🥺

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2022, 11:35:26 PM »
Not helped by the fact they preferred to use the Aberdeen partnership of Willie Miller and TSM in that era.

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2022, 11:52:12 PM »
Ok, so at 11.52 all those years ago we were back on Travellers Club coach two and heading back along the Northern European Continent  sea coast. It may surprise you that, after the euphoria , the coach was really quiet. Tiredness played it's part but I think the magnitude of what we had just witnessed was sinking in.We were Champions of Europe and had a title to defend.Not bad for a club that we were following in Division Three just ten years before! We are so lucky to be part of this stage of the Villa journey - 40 years and counting!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2022, 12:26:05 AM »
A lot of very good internationals in those days ended-up with modest numbers of caps. I guess there were less friendlies and not as many qualifiers.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2022, 03:13:01 AM »
Just watched the game back and the three things I picked up from this viewing.

The ref gave us nothing all game.
Gary Williams had a really good game.
How did Ken McNaught never win and International cap?

And Bremner only one for Scotland. I know they had Archie Gemmill and all those sexy players but still.

Gemmill had gone by 1982. The midfielders chosen were Asa Hartford, Davie Provan, John Robertson, Graeme Sounness, Gordon Strachan and John Wark.

Was before my time so not sure if all of them deserved to be ahead but guess Wark and Sounness both played in Bremner's position, more or less, and were pretty good.

They had some pretty decent centre-halves keeping McNaught out, notably Hansen, McLeish and, of course, Evans.

Still got knocked out in the sodding Group Stage.

Shoulda played three at the back.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2022, 08:49:31 AM »

And Bremner only one for Scotland. I know they had Archie Gemmill and all those sexy players but still.

Gemmill had gone by 1982. The midfielders chosen were Asa Hartford, Davie Provan, John Robertson, Graeme Sounness, Gordon Strachan and John Wark.

Was before my time so not sure if all of them deserved to be ahead but guess Wark and Sounness both played in Bremner's position, more or less, and were pretty good.

They had some pretty decent centre-halves keeping McNaught out, notably Hansen, McLeish and, of course, Evans.

To be fair, those players you named were all very good.  I didn't know too much about David Proven and I never thought Robertson was as good as most people seemed to think he was but the rest of them were top class players so removing my claret and blue glasses I can see why Des was overlooked, deserved more than one cap though.

Offline Coop

« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2022, 10:54:18 PM »

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2022, 10:55:39 PM »
Great stuff. Thank you.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2022, 11:58:30 PM »

To be fair, those players you named were all very good.  I didn't know too much about David Proven and I never thought Robertson was as good as most people seemed to think he was but the rest of them were top class players so removing my claret and blue glasses I can see why Des was overlooked, deserved more than one cap though.

I disagree there Dave.

At Forest, everything but everything went through John Robertson. He was brilliantly balanced and able to wrong foot defenders to make a yard of space for a cross. Cloughie accused him of living out of a chip pan but Twinkletum became the pivot for that team’s success.

In my opinion he was the most underrated player of the 70s, and without him Forest would have been nowhere the team they became. He was also one of the few players who absolutely, utterly destroyed John Gidman, notably in a 4-0 trouncing at the City Ground around 1978.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2022, 08:22:14 AM »

Evans never went back with the squad from Rotterdam and missed the open top bus parade, as he went straight to Hampden for the game against England. Can't remember if he played in that game, but he started alonside Hansen for the first WC match in the 5-2 win against New Zealand, but was dropped for the other two games. The 2 stupid goals given away in the 2nd half (one of which was at least partly Evans's fault) cost Scotland dearly, going out on goal difference again. 'Who were the 3 Scotland players in Villa's European Cup team' is a good quiz question. I follow Scotland as I have Scottish parents, and no non-Villa Scottish friend or relative ever gets it.

Online dave shelley

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2022, 09:00:57 AM »

I disagree there Dave.

At Forest, everything but everything went through John Robertson. He was brilliantly balanced and able to wrong foot defenders to make a yard of space for a cross. Cloughie accused him of living out of a chip pan but Twinkletum became the pivot for that team’s success.

In my opinion he was the most underrated player of the 70s, and without him Forest would have been nowhere the team they became. He was also one of the few players who absolutely, utterly destroyed John Gidman, notably in a 4-0 trouncing at the City Ground around 1978.

I just never got it with Robertson Pat, every time I watched him against us he just looked like your every day run of the mill winger.  I was at that drubbing and yes, you're right he did give Gidman a going over.  Maybe. I had a blind spot as far as he was concerned.  Different opinions, it what adds to the beauty of football.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2022, 10:11:47 AM »
Robertson was the best player in Europe for two seasons, absolutely unplayable at times. Completely two footed and amazing ability to drift past players. Set up the winner in one European Cup final, and got the winner the following year.

Online dave shelley

« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2022, 01:01:15 PM »
Robertson was the best player in Europe for two seasons, absolutely unplayable at times. Completely two footed and amazing ability to drift past players. Set up the winner in one European Cup final, and got the winner the following year.

Perhaps that's why I didn't like him.  😋

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2022, 01:26:35 PM »
Allan Evans only got 4 caps for Scotland. I thought he was a brilliant centre half.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal