collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Rotterdam Day  (Read 17294 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Happy Rotterdam Day
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2022, 09:09:48 AM »
Is this what Legion posted?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UHQuo2T9cK4

No. Mine was just the goal and the lifting of the cup. Got removed by YT a couple of years ago.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2022, 09:11:04 AM »
I'd forgotten all about that, thanks for reminding me Perce.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2022, 09:11:07 AM »
Happy 40th anniversary Villa, the greatest day in our history.

Offline tricky dicky

« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2022, 09:15:45 AM »
Happy Rotterdam day

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2022, 10:08:43 AM »
Happy Rotterdam Day!

According to the Express & Star, Bob Mortimer believes Villa should name the North Stand after Ron Saunders.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2022/05/26/bob-mortimer-name-villa-park-north-stand-after-ron-saunders/

Offline Coop

« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2022, 10:43:59 AM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2022, 10:45:01 AM »
Actually an underrated goal. Obviously Withe couldn't miss, but the work by Shaw and Morley was brilliant.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2022, 02:00:09 PM »
Couldn't miss but nearly fcuking did!

Offline eamonn

« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2022, 02:03:57 PM »
For the auld ones on here...speaking honestly, was our victory given the coverage it merited on a national scale compared to Forest's wins or Liverpool the year after etc. ?

Did we suffer from "Well, any old English team could win that trophy" snobbery/jealousy, or with the '82 World Cup round the corner and little Villa participation, was it quickly relegated as a footnote?

I guess you could make the argument even now that the only people who really care about any success are the supporters of said club. And all the media channels that need to fill-out their coverage.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p088z78l

The 1982 European Cup Final was played on 26th May. English champions Aston Villa defeated West German league winners Bayern Munich 1–0 at De Kuip in Rotterdam, Netherlands in-front of 46000 people to win the European Cup for the first, and so far, only time, and continue the streak of English teams winning the competition, being the sixth consecutive victory by an English side.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 02:19:59 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2022, 02:17:19 PM »
What a day that was; the return fare from Birmingham New Street all the way to Rotterdam via train, ferry and coach, plus the match ticket, cost £29.   

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2022, 02:37:20 PM »
For the auld ones on here...speaking honestly, was our victory given the coverage it merited on a national scale compared to Forest's wins or Liverpool the year after etc. ?

Did we suffer from "Well, any old English team could win that trophy" snobbery/jealousy, or with the '82 World Cup round the corner and little Villa participation, was it quickly relegated as a footnote?

I guess you could make the argument even now that the only people who really care about any success are the supporters of said club. And all the media channels that need to fill-out their coverage.

My mom recorded the game at home for us when we got back from Rotterdam, the coverage ended abruptly as far as I remember when Dennis Mortimer lifted the trophy and a brief chat ensued in the studio afterwards then that was it. Now that was on ITV probably Thames TV so coverage may have been different away from London. One thing that irks me to this day is the UEFA bloke who handed Dennis the cup lifted it aloft before he gave it to Dennis to do the same, like he stole Dennis's thunder, watch it back for yourself the bastard.
In terms of the printed press I bought up all the papers from the following day when we got home that newsagents hadn't returned to WHSmiths, again London papers, they're all in boxes in the old folks loft still. Pretty average coverage, can't say as I remember any centre spreads like the Argus and The Mail did.
The European Cup in those days really did bring English football supporters together behind the English team, I watched all 3 Liverpool wins at the time and Forest's 2 as if I was one of their fans, not a chance I or many would do that today, money changed all that.

One thing that does still stands out in my memory is Brian Clough saying 'We've done 'em' at the final whistle, Clough, saying we've done 'em, fantastic.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2022, 03:00:23 PM »
What a day that was; the return fare from Birmingham New Street all the way to Rotterdam via train, ferry and coach, plus the match ticket, cost £29.

DISGRACE.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2022, 03:06:59 PM »
I think I've said this a few times and in the grand scheme it doesn't matter, but the fact that most of our players swapped shirts with their Bayern counter-parts meaning there's a host of red shirts in our celebration photos really pisses me off. Thankfully Dennis Mortimer had the sense to wait/not bother.

I know it was common to swap jerseys with the guy marking you, but are pictures and video of other clubs' famous Cup triumphs marred by the photo-bombing of rival colours? Cos I ain't seen any. What we needed was a John Terry full-kit wanka ethos from all our boys.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal