collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Rotterdam Day  (Read 17240 times)

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Happy Rotterdam Day
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2022, 07:21:46 PM »
OK, let the anniversary begin! This time  this evening,  40 years ago we were gathering in my mate's front room comparing final 'get-up' before we headed off to Villa Park to catch Travellers Club coach 2 to fantasy land! :)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2022, 07:50:16 PM »
For a warm up the play off final is on now on Sky Sports Football. Villa v Derby.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2022, 08:42:31 PM »
Happy Rotterdam Day. Who can believe it was 40 years ago.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2022, 08:43:21 PM »
For a warm up the play off final is on now on Sky Sports Football. Villa v Derby.

Hope we win.

Offline ventnorVillain

« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2022, 09:02:03 PM »
40 years ago, and I still remember it as if it was yesterday. In fact, I still think about it every day. I still have my ticket, programme and travel ticket (David Dryer Travel). Train from New Street to Folkestone (train left at midnight), ferry then coach to Rotterdam. The two things that really stick out in my mind is the noise as the team made their way to the Villa end with the cup and a Dutch woman emptying a bucket of piss from an upstairs window on a group of Bayern fans and shouting abuse at them. I didn't understand up to that point how much the Dutch hated the Germans. All the locals wished us well and fervently hoped we would win. What a time. I was 20 and naively thought that those times would last forever. How wrong I was...

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2022, 10:18:45 PM »
a Dutch woman emptying a bucket of piss from an upstairs window on a group of Bayern fans and shouting abuse at them.

;D ;D

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2022, 03:24:46 AM »
This date pops up on my diary every year and I always try to watch the match DVD on the date each year.
I was already here in Perth, West Aussie and was lucky that the SBS TV network (great for football always show the World Cup and do a great job with it) which we didn't get here in Perth at the time allowed a commercial TV station here to show the satellite feed.
I was so nervous I couldn't sleep prior to kick off which I think was about 3am here.
The problem with the commercial TV station showing the game was that they had ad breaks while the game was on.
I can still remember the first ad break after about ten minutes in and when the game came back on, Jimmy Rimmer was coming off the pitch shaking his head!
When Peter Withe scored that goal and at the final whistle I just went mental, lucky I was living on my own at the time but I can remember the neighbours dogs barking their heads off.
The period between the goal and the end was the most nerve wracking period of my life.
They were all over us but Nigel Spink had a blinder in his second first team game.
The biggest regret of my life was not being there.
Wonderful memories.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2022, 03:32:37 AM »
Happy Rotterdam Day everyone.  Watched it round a mates house as the Villa supporting adults in the street watched it round ours - understandably they didn't want the kids around.

Recall the last 15 minutes feeling like 15 years but absolute euphoria afterwards. Went straight outside for a celebratory kick around, I can still see those images in my mind now.

A wonderful time to be alive.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 03:35:36 AM by OzVilla »

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2022, 05:58:53 AM »
Happy Rotterdam 40 Day.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2022, 06:12:37 AM »
I still have all my memorabilia and memories from the day. My Villa travellers club card, coach ticket on coach number one, match ticket, official programme, unofficial programme, memories of enjoying vending machines in the Amsterdam hotel that sold cans of beer outside of bar opening hours which was something I'd never seen before, being draped in a huge union jack that I'd borrowed from my Civil Service office (it used to be flown from the building on special occasions), the hotel bar having to close early after we'd returned from Rotterdam as it had run out of beer, photographs taken over the days there, the glorious ferry ride home with fellow jubilant Villa fans, everything recalled like it happened yesterday.

To those of us who were there, we were privileged to witness an unforgettable occasion. Happy 40th anniversary to us all.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 06:16:58 AM by Dick Edwards »

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2022, 06:57:17 AM »

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2022, 07:02:33 AM »
AV40! Happy Anniversary Villans!

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2022, 07:16:12 AM »
I was at all the home legs and had been at Highbury but never got to Rotterdam as my Mum wouldn't agree to me going after the violence in the semi-final. My Dad and older brother went and I watched it at home. The feeling when the goal went in was incredible. I still feel it's a very underrated goal, probably because of the scrappy finish. Winning the ball back, getting it back to Spink and then working it through from the back, great skill by Shaw and Morley before Withe stuck it away. A cracking goal.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2022, 08:55:45 AM »

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2022, 09:04:08 AM »
Happy 40th anniversary Villa, the greatest day in our history.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal