collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Rotterdam Day  (Read 17238 times)

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: Happy Rotterdam Day
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2021, 07:32:45 AM »
Great photos Weedy.

Happy days indeed.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
Happy promotion day everyone!

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »

2 years and we've come a long way already.

BUT

The journey continues.......

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
Playoff final Just popped up on my Facebook memories. A photo of me, Olaftab, Brazilian Villan and Pat McMahon ( with his lucky Rotterdam Union Jack) in the pub in Kilburn. I say Facebook “memories” - I can’t remember a thing, let alone that photo being taken

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
Had a great afternnon/evening yesterday myself and four mates met up to have a memorable session but the good thing about the day was the fact i hadn't
seen two of my mates for over 15 months because of Covid. So made the day extra special.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
Playoff final Just popped up on my Facebook memories. A photo of me, Olaftab, Brazilian Villan and Pat McMahon ( with his lucky Rotterdam Union Jack) in the pub in Kilburn. I say Facebook “memories” - I can’t remember a thing, let alone that photo being taken

Mine too.  Abiding memory of the day, after getting to Wembley early and trying to get a 2nd ticket for my 18 year old lad to no avail, was him staying with me right to turnstiles and then saying "Surely you're gonna let me have it? You saw us win the European Cup, please let me see us win something"  I gave him £30 and said go find a pub!  Met him back on the green after, beer soaked..."Best day ever" he said!  I do wish I could have got him in though!

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2021, 01:23:25 PM »
I went with the Travellers Club on coach one that included an overnight stay. Memories include arriving in our Amsterdam hotel to discover it had vending machines that dispensed cans of beer. When we got back after the match (I recall it was a fair distance from Rotterdam to Amsterdam) everyone flooded into the hotel bar to top up as you'd expect, then well before closing time the hotel said they'd ran out of beer!
Anyone else on here remember that?

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »
Got a train from new st on the tuesday night. The drinking started on the ferry and didnt stop till the following sunday night. Not sure how I made work on the monday

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2021, 09:57:21 PM »
And you too!
Seems much longer than 2 years ago after everything that's happened in the world. Does anyone else get flashbacks of those never ending 7 minutes at the end of full time?  :o

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2021, 12:24:51 AM »
Father in Law said all the Dutch people they met were wishing us luck

Those that I had contact with certainly did. 

Same here. I was stood next to a meaty Feyenoord fan and had countless people wishing us luck in the city centre during the afternoon.

I went to Rotterdam a couple of years ago after a work trip to Amsterdam and headed over to De Kuip. Brought back a load of memories. I managed to sneak into the ground and get into a box and then what is now the main stand, which is now on the opposite side to where the trophy was presented. Luckily the old main stand still has the Feyenoord stadium letters in white which I recalled so well, as well as the old external staircases.

I would love to have taken the train from Centraal to the stadium but the train only runs on match days.

Those who were there may remember the Double Diamond pub. It is now a Chinese restaurant so I couldn’t have a celebratory pint. :(

You could have had a celebratory Baijiu, mate!

Half a bottle of that stuff and no need for a Covid vaccine - kills all known living things, notably brain cells.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2021, 12:27:19 AM »

I have that photo too. We were fairly compos mentis in the pub after given the joy of the day. The Union Jack needs washing but it would fall apart if I did

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2021, 08:29:13 AM »

I have that photo too. We were fairly compos mentis in the pub after given the joy of the day. The Union Jack needs washing but it would fall apart if I did
I've a Villa scarf like that Pat. College stripe, wool bought from Harry Parkes over 50 Years ago. It's been at so many Villa occasions good and bad, it's survived scrapes and theft attempts around the country.I reserve wearing it for big games now as it's held together by the patches I've sewn on over the years. Actually it's not even claret and blue any more as the colours have merged!

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2022, 11:08:52 AM »
Only one more sleep to the great day.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
I was a bit surprised to shed so many tears having my little one waving a flag on my shoulders, as the 'old men' of 81/82 got their guard of honour & parade 10 days ago at Villa Park.
Something about having been deeply privileged as a little one myself back then to have been taken by my elders to some of our finest moments, and now bringing along the next generation.

Though usually singing it loud, I've perhaps had mixed feelings about the Ole Ole Ole chant -  does 'we *even* conquered Europe in 1982' sound a bit lacking in ambition - but hearing little AV amaze her grandparents by reciting it last week made it feel special.

I've probably shared these pictures before, but as ever eternal gratitude to my family still around and passed on, as well as to those that fulfilled our dreams.

Offline CJ27

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2022, 04:38:37 PM »
Who would have thought it, 40 years tomorrow. I was lucky enough to to fly over, as my birthday is the 27th it was a present, however what an early birthday present it was beating probably the best team in Europe at the time. Still got my old scarf too, tattered and worse for wear now having travelled the country from when we were in the 3rd division to Highbury in ‘81, Rotterdam, VP in ‘83 against Barca. Then last week those legends walking round the sacred turf, not a dry eye in the house. What they wouldn’t have given to play on the pitches we have now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal