collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby's shirt - being raffled to help the NHS  (Read 4102 times)

Online SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
Gabby's shirt - being raffled to help the NHS
« on: April 23, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »
We probably all condemned him for being an arse the way that his career petered out at Villa Park, but this is a great gesture.

Reading his story of the goal against the 'noses three things shine through:

- his love for the Villa
- how much the shirt means to him
- his hatred of Blues

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/23/gabby-agbonlahor-raffling-aston-villa-shirt-for-nhs-coronavirus-birmingham?

Ps - when did he become so eloquent?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Gabby's shirt - being raffled to help the NHS
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
We probably all condemned him for being an arse the way that his career petered out at Villa Park, but this is a great gesture.

Reading his story of the goal against the 'noses three things shine through:

- his love for the Villa
- how much the shirt means to him
- his hatred of Blues

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/23/gabby-agbonlahor-raffling-aston-villa-shirt-for-nhs-coronavirus-birmingham?

Ps - when did he become so eloquent?

Good lad.

He fucked up, no doubt, but provided more joyous moments that many better players that have worn the shirt.

And I honestly don't think I've ever celebrated a Villa goal with as much laughter as the goal in the article. It was piss funny seeing them wilt as soon as he came on the pitch, despite the fact he'd been no use for ages.

Online Villan82

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »
Gabby gave good service from 2006-2015. Sherwood's run at the end of 2014-15 is the last time Gabby showed quality. Maybe it's a pity he didn't drop down a division to another club at that point?

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 05:43:19 PM »
He turned that game because they were shit scared of him and he shithoused them and their fans. When he put the shoulder in then faced down the filth in the lower Witton Lane it bought about the biggest cheer of the game, at least until he scored.
I do have one question though, if he lives on his own why has he got a trampoline?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 06:13:31 PM »
He turned that game because they were shit scared of him and he shithoused them and their fans. When he put the shoulder in then faced down the filth in the lower Witton Lane it bought about the biggest cheer of the game, at least until he scored.
I do have one question though, if he lives on his own why has he got a trampoline?

I seem to remember that he may have a child, I suppose they might visit?

Or else there's a fit bird lives over one of the fences.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 07:24:37 PM »
Still only 33...  Nice gesture.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 08:17:05 PM »

He turned that game because it was the only time in the last few years of his career when he actually cared about football and decided to play like we knew he could.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 08:18:27 PM »
Can I ask a genuine question: what did Gabby do to piss us off so much around that 15-16 season? I've heard lots of references to him being pissed in hotel rooms and a 'santa video'.

I was unemployed at that time so couldn't afford to go to games, and not entirely 'present' due to being in a relationship with various substances. After getting myself sorted, I haven't wanted to revisit it because I prefer to remember Gabby in his '07-'10 peak.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 08:52:18 PM »
Good for him.

He's not all bad.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 10:05:36 PM »
Can I ask a genuine question: what did Gabby do to piss us off so much around that 15-16 season? I've heard lots of references to him being pissed in hotel rooms and a 'santa video'.

I was unemployed at that time so couldn't afford to go to games, and not entirely 'present' due to being in a relationship with various substances. After getting myself sorted, I haven't wanted to revisit it because I prefer to remember Gabby in his '07-'10 peak.

Gabby was a disgrace to the shirt that season. Remember Neville and Lampard laughing at him at half time at Spurs given his lack of effort in the first half. He had a brief resurgence for a while under Lambert one season where we scraped past relegation, got back in the England reckoning but didn't bother showing up if I recall. But that was it really from the post MON days, practically washed up at 24 years of age. Huge disappointment given his potential, remember him torching the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and United on great away days.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 10:45:45 PM »

I seem to remember that he may have a child, I suppose they might visit?

Or else there's a fit bird lives over one of the fences.

He does have a child. Regularly used to take him to kids football matches held at the EDC in Walsall. He always used to stand well away from everyone with his hood up.

Online Stu82

• GM : 29.09.2024
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 10:48:07 PM »
Good on you Gabby

Shows how vicious this virus is hitting an athlete for six like that.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 11:02:10 PM »
Maybe something was happening off the pitch with his personal life, (it was a mess afterall) or something else but my take was he fell out of love with his job. He was never naturally skillful but had pace*. Things started to go downhill when he decided to bulk up in the one summer. This cost him his fastest pace but also meant his body shape changed enough that he started to get more niggly injuries. However he still gave his all but deep down it was still just a job. Then as the injuries kept on building up, his money meaning he was pretty much set and the club starting to decline, he "stopped" working. I would say his last big hoorah was when him, Benteke and the Weeman was in a three. Maybe because the pressure wasn't on him, maybe because of Sherwood or maybe because he was playing for a new contract, but he seemed to be at his best then.

Of course as fans, we can forgive a lot but not appearing to even try during a match is not one of them. And especially as we know Gabby is a fan and we have several seasons of seeing what he can do. So when he can't be arsed and is one of the best paid players at the club and captain, plus the off field antics mentioned and the general malaise at the club, someone was going to get it.

TBH, retiring just past 30 with no injuries shows his attitude to the game at the end. Compare to Petrov for example who just wanted to play even after his fight for life.

*Nike setup Gabby and Lennon to see who was the fastest with and without the ball, Gabby won the foot race but Lennon the one with the ball and the overall although admittedly it was 10ths of a second.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:04:17 PM by Somniloquism »

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 11:04:13 PM »
Fair play to him for this, even though I used to refer to him as Flabby Onegoalayear or Flabby Aintgonnascore at the end of his time with us thanks to BE!

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 11:16:31 PM »
I'd almost forgotten that derby. Just spent the last 20 mins or so watching YouTube clips. Had to be him that scored didn't it? Hilarious stuff, shame they fluked staying up again that year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal