collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Was The First Player(s) You Saw Get Sent Off?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline brackley

• GM : 13.04.2025
Re: Who Was The First Player(s) You Saw Get Sent Off?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2020, 08:47:57 AM »
The first one I remember, and I wasn’t there but it was on telly, was Leighton Phillips for sticking 2 fingers up at the referee. I remember it being really shocking at the time.
I can’t remember if this was the same incident but I remember Leighton Phillips headbutting Terry Yorath.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2020, 08:51:04 AM »
Garry Thompson for Coventry against us at Villa Park.  1982 or 83 I think.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2020, 09:04:11 AM »
The first I can remember was Denis Law at Villa Park in 1963 in a game we won 4-0 (yes hard to imagine that score). He aimed a wild kick at Alan Deakin.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2020, 09:06:37 AM »
The first I can remember was Denis Law at Villa Park in 1963 in a game we won 4-0 (yes hard to imagine that score). He aimed a wild kick at Alan Deakin.
Whoops, sorry border villain, just read the whole thread. Already mentioned.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
The first one I remember, and I wasn’t there but it was on telly, was Leighton Phillips for sticking 2 fingers up at the referee. I remember it being really shocking at the time.
I can’t remember if this was the same incident but I remember Leighton Phillips headbutting Terry Yorath.

I remember Leighton Phillips lifting, I think was Terry Naylor of Spurs from the floor by the front of his shirt and nutting him square-on which was missed by the referee and both linesmen.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »
I recall being down at the Dell as a young kid and we ended up losing 4-1. It must have been Bosnich maybe who was sent off as Neil Cox ended up going in goal.

It was Spink who was sent off. That was the game when we piled onto the pitch at the end and broke the crossbar

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »
I really can't remember. I do remember Andy Townsend getting sent off in a 4-3 defeat against Wimbledon in BFRs final game. He then returned from his suspension to be sent off at Arsenal on Boxing Day. The media  in some sections were trying to make out he was a dirty player which was nonsense. Then the following season he was unluckily sent off Vs Forest. There must have been others before his but these are the ones that come to mind.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »
I recall being down at the Dell as a young kid and we ended up losing 4-1. It must have been Bosnich maybe who was sent off as Neil Cox ended up going in goal.

It was Spink who was sent off. That was the game when we piled onto the pitch at the end and broke the crossbar

After all these years you are finally confessing to this?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2020, 04:09:02 PM »

I remember Leighton Phillips lifting, I think was Terry Naylor of Spurs from the floor by the front of his shirt and nutting him square-on which was missed by the referee and both linesmen.

Didn't Naylor and Yorath look rather alike? Thinning blonde hair?

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2020, 06:27:50 PM »

Didn't Naylor and Yorath look rather alike? Thinning blonde hair?
Was it away against Blues in late 76-77? I remember as a kid being taken by my dad and for some unearthly reason we stood on the Spion Kop and Phillips got sent off but I can't remember the circumstances.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »

Cheers, I wasn't confident it was Bosnich. I must have been 6 or 7 at the time and was spirited away pretty sharpish. I guess it must have been because trouble was brewing.

Offline ez

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2020, 09:01:15 PM »
I remember Tony Morley getting sent off, it was at half time as they walked off the pitch and I’ve got a feeling that it was in a period when they’d stopped actually showing actual cards. You could see that something was going on from the Holte, he was arguing with the ref and a few around me said he’d been sent off but nothing was confirmed until he didn’t come out for the second half.

Around the same time I remember Ian Bowyer getting sent off in a Villa - Forest game but the memory of that is hazy.

Tony Morley sat in the dugout with his back to the pitch for the whole of the second half.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »
Dennis Law on his way off the pitch having done Alan Deakin.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:11:10 PM by Flamingo Lane »

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Not sure, but the first one I really remember was whilst listening to the audio commentary on BRMB (?) when Lee Hendrie got his marching orders vs QPR.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »
I have apologised before for being a late arrival on the football scene due to my globetrotting as a child.  My first of any note, or certainly the first that had an impact, would have been Ray Wilkins in England vs Morocco at the 86 World Cup.  I think he was captain as well (?) and as a cricket fan felt this was entirely unbecoming in one charged with such a distinguished role... I realised later that the captaincy in the two sports beared little resemblence...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal