collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Was The First Player(s) You Saw Get Sent Off?  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Who Was The First Player(s) You Saw Get Sent Off?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »
Brendan Ormsby (I think) away at Wolves in about 1979.
Steve Bull elbowed him in the face in an aerial clash. Ormsby decked him with a right hook and they were both sent off. 1-1 draw.

Steve Bull didn't make his league debut until 1985 and that was for West Brom. I think Andy Gray may have been sent off against us whilst playing for Wolves around that time. Possibly for a foul on Dennis Mortimer? I think it was in the early eighties in a League Cup tie.

John Riochards was involved in the fight with Ormsby. Gray was sent off in a League Cup tie in 1981-82.

Andy Gray admitted in his autobiography that he never liked Dennis Mortimer as Mortimer was close to Ron Saunders. He also admitted that he deliberately went out to 'do' Mortimer that night.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 10:47:10 PM »
I was typing my response - Roger Johnson for SHA in 2010 - then I looked it up to check it was indeed Johnson, only to read that he wasn't sent off at all.

I had been going to games for over ten years by then, so I must've seen red cards before. But that was the earliest one I could definitely remember, and it didn't even happen!

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »
Similarly here I'd been going for years and remember Lee Hendrie getting sent off at QPR.
There was a game previously where we beat Arsenal one nil with a Yorke penalty and we were down to ten men.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:40 PM »
The first one I remember, and I wasn’t there but it was on telly, was Leighton Phillips for sticking 2 fingers up at the referee. I remember it being really shocking at the time.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:55 PM »
When I was a kid our local park team had a Centre forward whose name was Malcom McDonald, the team also used to playin Black  and white stripes.
Anyway said player fouled their Centre half and the ref got his book out,
Ref “  Name “
Player “Malcom McDonald”
Ref “ enough of your funny business” and the ref duly sent him off.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 11:02:35 PM »
I recall being down at the Dell as a young kid and we ended up losing 4-1. It must have been Bosnich maybe who was sent off as Neil Cox ended up going in goal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »
I recall being down at the Dell as a young kid and we ended up losing 4-1. It must have been Bosnich maybe who was sent off as Neil Cox ended up going in goal.

I remember being at Highbury and Spink was sent off or injured (I can't remeber which now) and Platt went in goal. I think we lost 5-0. We missed the first thirty minutes of the game attempting to park somewhere.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 11:34:50 PM »
Whoever was the first player to be sent off at Villa Park in 1988/89, probably.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 11:45:02 PM »
Mine was that previously mentioned red for Gray at VP in 80/81, quite a surreal thing for me seeing someone I’d previously admired getting sent off. Oh well

Online aldridgeboy

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 12:35:44 AM »
Alan Evans, 1983 against Barcelona. They’d already had 2 sent off. Weirdly, not the goalie who kicked Sid about 4 feet in the air when he scored his penalty.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2020, 12:46:28 AM »
Ugo v Arsenal, coming from behind on Ian Wright.

We still won. Yorke chipped penalty game.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2020, 06:04:07 AM »
I think Collymore in that crazy 4-2 defeat to Liverpool in 98. Cracker of a game, though.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 06:50:21 AM »
Brendan Ormsby (I think) away at Wolves in about 1979.
Steve Bull elbowed him in the face in an aerial clash. Ormsby decked him with a right hook and they were both sent off. 1-1 draw.

Steve Bull didn't make his league debut until 1985 and that was for West Brom. I think Andy Gray may have been sent off against us whilst playing for Wolves around that time. Possibly for a foul on Dennis Mortimer? I think it was in the early eighties in a League Cup tie.

My mistake! It was John Richards.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2020, 06:59:28 AM »
I think the Clive Clark Harry Burrows was first although the one I really remember is Denis Law I couldn’t believe it.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2020, 07:17:28 AM »
I remember Tony Morley getting sent off, it was at half time as they walked off the pitch and I’ve got a feeling that it was in a period when they’d stopped actually showing actual cards. You could see that something was going on from the Holte, he was arguing with the ref and a few around me said he’d been sent off but nothing was confirmed until he didn’t come out for the second half.

Around the same time I remember Ian Bowyer getting sent off in a Villa - Forest game but the memory of that is hazy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal