collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your all time, ultimate shit Aston Villa line up  (Read 24382 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Your all time, ultimate shit Aston Villa line up
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2020, 12:15:46 PM »
I don't think current players should be included, especially youngsters and/or those who have only been playing for us for a few months. Plenty of time to improve. Angel and Petrov would have been contenders based on their starts, for instance. It would be ludicrous to include them now. Just as it would be mad to include Ehiogu based on that disastrous debut against Norwich.

Obvious exception of Hogan who is, quite clearly, never going to play for us again.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2020, 12:22:35 PM »
I don't think current players should be included, especially youngsters and/or those who have only been playing for us for a few months. Plenty of time to improve. Angel and Petrov would have been contenders based on their starts, for instance. It would be ludicrous to include them now. Just as it would be mad to include Ehiogu based on that disastrous debut against Norwich.

Obvious exception of Hogan who is, quite clearly, never going to play for us again.

That’s effectively trolling, you know that don’t you?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2020, 12:43:05 PM »
Kinsella, forgot about him. He was very shit and a strong consideration for the worst ever 11. I also forgot about Drinky who contends heavily for the most shit and the team of c***s.

Konsa, don't agree with that one at all. I think he's a young player with real promise. I can think of many players just in his position that were a lot worse.
Karim El Ahmadi was one i considered, another player that played way too many times for us.

Leonhardsen was certainly one of the most underwhelming deadline day signings but he actually did quite well on the right side of midfield. I think he scored 3 goals in maybe 10 games and always looked capable of setting others up, i think he did have a few assists.

I remember John Blackwell trying to convince us that Leonhardsen was one of the greatest 10 players to have ever played the game.

Ha ha, John Blackwell, fucking hell.

On the topic of Kinsella, whilst he was clearly not the required standard, am I imagining it or did someone post on here that he is apparently a huge Villa fan and was overjoyed to just have the chance to pull on the jersey?

To be fair, he played like a fan that had won a competition.

He was a solid player for Charlton and ROI. Our first choice was Matt Holland wasn't it but he didn't want to uproot his family. He then actually moved to Charlton to effectively replace Kinsella.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
I think Wesley must be in with a shout of being on the list.

Even if you limit this to the last 10 years there is no way Wesley deserves to be considered even top 5 when compared to Helenius, Gestede, McCormack, Hogan, Bowery and Holt. There's probably others ahead of him as well, I stopped thinking about it when I got to 6 because it was making me annoyed by the amount of shit forwards we've signed.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2020, 01:11:43 PM »

Rumbled. ☹

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2020, 01:23:02 PM »
Kinsella, forgot about him. He was very shit and a strong consideration for the worst ever 11. I also forgot about Drinky who contends heavily for the most shit and the team of c***s.

Konsa, don't agree with that one at all. I think he's a young player with real promise. I can think of many players just in his position that were a lot worse.
Karim El Ahmadi was one i considered, another player that played way too many times for us.

Leonhardsen was certainly one of the most underwhelming deadline day signings but he actually did quite well on the right side of midfield. I think he scored 3 goals in maybe 10 games and always looked capable of setting others up, i think he did have a few assists.

I remember John Blackwell trying to convince us that Leonhardsen was one of the greatest 10 players to have ever played the game.

Ha ha, John Blackwell, fucking hell.

On the topic of Kinsella, whilst he was clearly not the required standard, am I imagining it or did someone post on here that he is apparently a huge Villa fan and was overjoyed to just have the chance to pull on the jersey?

To be fair, he played like a fan that had won a competition.

He was a solid player for Charlton and ROI. Our first choice was Matt Holland wasn't it but he didn't want to uproot his family. He then actually moved to Charlton to effectively replace Kinsella.

From memory i think they played together in the 2002 WC for Ireland and looked a really good pair. We wanted both but only managed to get Kinsella, who i actually couldn't believe was so shit for us after watching him for Ireland.

EDIT: And no, Wesley shouldn't be in there although you knew at least one or two would. He has disappointed so far in truth but the story is not over and he's not as bad as Carlton Cole or Cascarino (under the circumstances), or Gestede for that matter. Probably plenty of others i could think of.

I laughed earlier when someone put Carlton Cole's stats up, something like 3 goals ion 27 games. He scored 2 on his debut v Southampton from memory and looked unplayable. 1 in 26 after and looked like he needed a lie down.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:27:04 PM by Clark W Griswold »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2020, 01:35:14 PM »

Rumbled. ☹

He’d make my ultimate shit Aston Villa debut XI.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2020, 01:57:07 PM »
Noone will ever have such a good debut as Spink in 1982.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2020, 02:04:32 PM »

It was his second game. I think the first was Boxing Day 1979 at home to Forest. I would imagine he clocked up an impressive amount of appearances in the Central League/reserves. To be fair he eventually racked up a lot of first team appearances too, despite competition from Day, Poole, Butler, Sealey and Bosnich.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »

I don't think there is any denying Ugo had a mare in that game against Norwich. I remember following Villa home and away whilst Ugo was still trying to establish himself and was often a sub. It was always great fun waiting to hear the latest pronunciation of his name from the home stadium announcer. I lost count of the different versions of his name I heard read out. Some of the guys on the PA systems bottled it completely and just quickly mumbled something totally intelligible. Those of us in the away end looked forward to hearing their attempts every other week. It was a big part of the away day experience for a while.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2020, 02:16:09 PM »

It was his second game.

I feel such a fool! 😥

Offline Damo70

« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »

It was his second game.

I feel such a fool! 😥

To be fair it was his European Cup debut  ;)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »
Wait, have I ended up trolling myself? 🤔

Offline Damo70

« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »
Wait, have I ended up trolling myself? 🤔

It is better than soiling yourself.  ;)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2020, 02:37:11 PM »
You're assuming I haven't done that, too...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal