collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 756578 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #5220 on: January 07, 2021, 04:14:47 PM »
Only a matter of time before the season is postponed imo, this is only going to get worse over the next few weeks. I can see the Euros being kicked cancelled too.
t some point football is going to have to prioritise which events take priority.
with the vacine there is every possibility the euros and domestic leagues will complete.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #5221 on: January 07, 2021, 04:18:53 PM »
If football is so important to the mental health of the nation, why haven’t the PL secured vaccines to take away the fear of cancellation?

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #5222 on: January 07, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
Only a matter of time before the season is postponed imo, this is only going to get worse over the next few weeks. I can see the Euros being kicked cancelled too.
t some point football is going to have to prioritise which events take priority.
with the vacine there is every possibility the euros and domestic leagues will complete.

I hope you're right, but I think a PL break is inevitable at the moment. Any postponement is bound to put the Euros in jeopardy. As well the cross-Europe format is exactly ideal in the current situation, it should really be held within one country, if it's going to go ahead.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #5223 on: January 07, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »
If football is so important to the mental health of the nation, why haven’t the PL secured vaccines to take away the fear of cancellation?

I don't think that would be to well received amongst frontline NHS staff atm.

Offline frank black

« Reply #5224 on: January 07, 2021, 04:31:10 PM »

I don't think that would be to well received amongst frontline NHS staff atm.

Just imagine (righty) the outrage

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5225 on: January 07, 2021, 04:37:00 PM »

If their infections keep increasing present rate they will soon have herd immunity.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #5226 on: January 07, 2021, 04:38:54 PM »

Footballers have been the worst breachers of the regulations. IMO they should be at the back of the queue.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #5227 on: January 07, 2021, 05:00:50 PM »
As Rob Dorsett on Sky has said, the Spurs and Everton matches must also be in doubt, if the whole squad have to self isolate for 10 days, that takes them up to the day before the Everton match, so it would not be realistic for them to play that game, having not trained for 10 days.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #5228 on: January 07, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »

What’s a girl supposed to do?

I don't know, did you ask her?

Online tomd2103

« Reply #5229 on: January 07, 2021, 05:12:42 PM »

I hope you're right, but I think a PL break is inevitable at the moment. Any postponement is bound to put the Euros in jeopardy. As well the cross-Europe format is exactly ideal in the current situation, it should really be held within one country, if it's going to go ahead.

Just can't see how it is all going to be fitted in as there are World Cup qualifiers as well.  If there is a break, there is just going to be an unmanageable backlog of domestic fixtures and then the Euros on top of that. 

The one thing that keeps cropping up in my mind is the date of the World Cup in 2022 and the wriggle room that might give.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #5230 on: January 07, 2021, 05:32:40 PM »
this was only a matter of time I'm afraid - I just can't see how this season carries on if the numbers of positive cases remain going up.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5231 on: January 07, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »
Take a 6-12 week break, elongate the season to the calendar year (club games at a leisurely place either side of the Euros), do the same next year and finish up that October ahead of the World Cup in Qatar at the end of 2022.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #5232 on: January 07, 2021, 05:46:24 PM »
{alt}
Take a 6-12 week break, elongate the season to the calendar year (club games at a leisurely place either side of the Euros), do the same next year and finish up that October ahead of the World Cup in Qatar at the end of 2022.

Think that could be an option to be honest.  We have gone through an interrupted season already, so cannot see it being much of an issue now.   I guess the only thing then would be the start date of the following season and coordinating tournaments with other countries.  Couldn't start in August 2023 as that would be too big a gap.  Maybe start in March 2023, have no midweek fixtures and a proper winter break in January 2024 and finish at the normal time in May 2024.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:53:11 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #5233 on: January 07, 2021, 05:54:32 PM »

And then what? Start the following season in January?

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #5234 on: January 07, 2021, 06:03:44 PM »
Just play domestic leagues. Forget about Euros etc. It would provide the space to complete postponed games until we have a handle on the virus.
Stay safe stay home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal