collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:13:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 757316 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #4830 on: June 05, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »
No.

There's something I find very sinister about this talk of pumping in crowd noise. Something about simulating genuine human emotion and interaction for the sake of the plausibility of the broadcast product that doesn't sit right with me.

Sends a message that the supporters don't really matter, they're just part of the entertainment that can be switched on and off. It's a bit The Running Man.

'Sinister' seems a bit hyperbolic conspiracy theory to me.  'Wank' would seem a more apt description to me.   

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #4831 on: June 05, 2020, 09:35:38 AM »
I think the main thing from the Benfica game was that the guy in control of the crowd noise obviously had a sense of humour as he played boos and whistles if a decision went against them and also if an opponent committed a foul.

As a neutral it made it far more interesting to watch, something that the commentators regularly mentioned as did everyone I saw comment online. Whether I’d feel the same about it being done for a Villa game, I’m not sure.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #4832 on: June 05, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »
No.

There's something I find very sinister about this talk of pumping in crowd noise. Something about simulating genuine human emotion and interaction for the sake of the plausibility of the broadcast product that doesn't sit right with me.

Sends a message that the supporters don't really matter, they're just part of the entertainment that can be switched on and off. It's a bit The Running Man.

Escape to Victory

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4833 on: June 05, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »
No.

'Sinister' seems a bit hyperbolic conspiracy theory to me.  'Wank' would seem a more apt description to me.

I don't think there's any conspiracy, I just don't like the thought that the fans are there to generate an atmosphere for the TV audience, and if the fans aren't there, no matter - we can just simulate some.

I never watch football on TV - it's being there in person or nothing for me - so I'm sure most will disagree. This just strikes me as another attempt to engineer the game to suit commercial purposes.

I don't expect people to agree - I think all cup competitions should be randomly drawn straight knockouts, and every league game should be a Saturday 3pm kick off. I'm just a bit old-fashioned that way.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4834 on: June 05, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »
Having McGinn back will be a bonus but we still need some beef in midfield.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4835 on: June 05, 2020, 10:59:40 AM »
I just think they are trying to make the viewing experience more normal / enjoyable, it's nothing to do with disrepecting supporters or sending any hidden messages.

I personally think it's a bit strange, but then I havent watched any closed doors games with or without it to make a judgment.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #4836 on: June 05, 2020, 11:03:14 AM »
pumping in crowd noises sounds like something that lot over Bordesley way and the stripey wankers would do...

UTV
The Doc

Offline Dave P

« Reply #4837 on: June 05, 2020, 11:17:43 AM »
pumping in crowd noises sounds like something that lot over Bordesley way and the stripey wankers would do...

UTV
The Doc

And we all know what chant would be pumped through.

Offline Rory

« Reply #4838 on: June 05, 2020, 11:40:52 AM »
I just think they are trying to make the viewing experience more normal / enjoyable, it's nothing to do with disrepecting supporters or sending any hidden messages.

I personally think it's a bit strange, but then I havent watched any closed doors games with or without it to make a judgment.

I get that, but things aren't normal, so I'm not sure why they feel the need to pretend they are. Not accusing them of deliberately undermining supporters, I just find it all a bit weird and contrived.

Either the whole experience is important, in which case live supporters are integral and football shouldn't be played without them, or it's what happens on the pitch that matters, in which case why bother artificially generating an atmosphere?

Just my view. I think that there's enough that's artificial about the game already.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #4839 on: June 05, 2020, 11:47:12 AM »
I still think that they should put up big screens in the stands where those watching online appear on the screen along with sound. This could create a new interactive experience of watching matches online, where fans can shout and sing into their computers and be heard in the stadium. No idea if this could work, probably not, but I like the idea. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4840 on: June 05, 2020, 12:20:21 PM »
I'd only be in favour of piping in canned laughter when players do something really shit.

Using that logic the entire Lambert years would have been played out with a canned laughter soundtrack.  ;)

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4841 on: June 05, 2020, 12:23:19 PM »
I think the last 'behind closed doors' game I saw live on TV was an International game on SKY. On the odd occasion I have watched a behind closed doors game on TV I have always found it difficult to get into with no crowd.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4842 on: June 05, 2020, 12:53:00 PM »
I still think that they should put up big screens in the stands where those watching online appear on the screen along with sound. This could create a new interactive experience of watching matches online, where fans can shout and sing into their computers and be heard in the stadium. No idea if this could work, probably not, but I like the idea. 

They've done that (in a way) in the Danish League and it's apparently one of the options they're looking at for the Prem, albeit using the current big screens rather than new screens in the stands.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4843 on: June 05, 2020, 12:53:11 PM »
I think the last 'behind closed doors' game I saw live on TV was an International game on SKY. On the odd occasion I have watched a behind closed doors game on TV I have always found it difficult to get into with no crowd.
It will be odd but I'm quite looking forward to seeing it now.  I'm pretty sure I'll get into it as it's Villa playing and the games have massive importance.  I think if we were mid table I'd be a lot less bothered.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4844 on: June 05, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »
AVFC provisional fixtures up until July 2nd:

17th June: Sheffield United 6pm (H) (Sky)
21st June: Chelsea 4:30pm (H) (Sky)
24th June: Newcastle 6pm (A) (BT)
28th June: Wolves 12pm (H) (BT)
We should be match fit by end of June.

Wonder how many minutes Matt Targett can handle
He's rife for being injured.
I won't say I told you so when the inevitable happens but I will say  I told you so !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal