collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746814 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #4590 on: May 28, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
Telegraph reckon majority keen to restart 19/20th June, with our game against Sheff Utd possibly played a few days before.

So 10 games to play in 5 or 6 weeks, after months out, and with coronavirus still a thing.  Great.

No cricket before August 1st.

Money.
Well yes, and probably the very existence of some clubs.

Premier League clubs?
Very possibly, didn't the likes of Bournmouth and Watford say they would struggle to survive?  I thought I'd heard something along those lines anyway. 

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #4591 on: May 28, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
Also some vague talk about having friendlies against each other before it starts.

This surely has to be nonsense?

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4592 on: May 28, 2020, 03:18:55 PM »
BREAKING: The Premier League will restart on June 17th with Aston Villa at home to Sheffield United and Manchester City at home to Arsenal.

A friend of mine who works in a senior role at the football league (not the premier league) told me two weeks ago that the first games would be us vs Sheff Utd, and Man City vs Arsenal. He claimed it was because as soon as everyone is on the same number of games, they'll feel much more comfortable 'ending' the season, without the pressure of having to get everyone level.

I told him to stop indulging in conspiracies.

I can't help but think it's an absolute must-win, which is a pain, as they could get into a European place if they win, so will be VERY motivated.  I would much prefer such a potentially important game to be against someone with nothing to play for.

Offline aev

« Reply #4593 on: May 28, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »
The integrity of the competition is compromised, and 3 teams are going to suffer and will feel rightly miffed once they are relegated.

It doesn't say where the games are to be played - isn't it down to each individual police force to give it the ok?

Also, what happens if teams suffer with players availability if the are forced to self isolate? Do teams play youth team players?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4594 on: May 28, 2020, 03:23:00 PM »
The integrity of the competition is compromised, and 3 teams are going to suffer and will feel rightly miffed once they are relegated.

It doesn't say where the games are to be played - isn't it down to each individual police force to give it the ok?

Also, what happens if teams suffer with players availability if the are forced to self isolate? Do teams play youth team players?

They don’t care. They just want to finish their season.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #4595 on: May 28, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »
2 games in 3 or 4 days straight away for us.

Offline kieron

« Reply #4596 on: May 28, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »
Too early for a pre-match thread?!

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4597 on: May 28, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
BREAKING: The Premier League will restart on June 17th with Aston Villa at home to Sheffield United and Manchester City at home to Arsenal.

A friend of mine who works in a senior role at the football league (not the premier league) told me two weeks ago that the first games would be us vs Sheff Utd, and Man City vs Arsenal. He claimed it was because as soon as everyone is on the same number of games, they'll feel much more comfortable 'ending' the season, without the pressure of having to get everyone level.

I can't help but think it's an absolute must-win, which is a pain, as they could get into a European place if they win, so will be VERY motivated.  I would much prefer such a potentially important game to be against someone with nothing to play for.

Assuming the Telegraph story is correct, the straw that I'll be clutching to is the interruption of momentum for both Sheffield Utd and Villa (theirs great, ours terrible) might act as something of a leveller.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #4598 on: May 28, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »
Well I figure us having to play another game within a few days of the first could go either way. We’ll either be sharper than the team playing their first game in months or we’ll be absolutely fucked after playing that first game. Especially since our lack of squad depth doesn’t allow for much rotation.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4599 on: May 28, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
Too early for a pre-match thread?!
May give us a slight advantage in our second game as our players will be more up to speed and familiar with the process?  Could well cause fatigue a little later on though.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4600 on: May 28, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »

This would not surprise me in the slightest. Just win please, Villa.

Offline aev

« Reply #4601 on: May 28, 2020, 03:56:58 PM »
Mind you, although it ensures the teams have played the same number of games they wont all have been under the same circumstances.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #4602 on: May 28, 2020, 04:05:48 PM »
don't we have a 100% win ratio for winning games behind closed doors ?  :)

Seriously just win Villa.

hope you all keeping well

UTV
The Doc

Offline Villan82

« Reply #4603 on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »
Football can get to F**k. Punishing three teams, whoever those 3 teams will be, is an absolute farce. Relegation should have been scrapped.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4604 on: May 28, 2020, 04:17:27 PM »
La liga not starting back till 20th June
Serie A due to make a decision this week but looking at resumption in week of 13th-20th June.
Uk 2-3 weeks behind these countries re covid but the pl determined to start back just as early if not earlier. I wonder why?
Deflection/distraction tactics? It's all about the money, money and of course come what may lobscouse need to get their hands on that trophy.
Everyody will see this differently of course but imo it's just a faux football farce.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal