collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 09:46:01 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 09:41:35 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by The Edge
[Today at 09:37:36 PM]

Season Tickets by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:31:00 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Kits 24/25 by nigel
[Today at 08:53:25 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 09:46:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by trinityoap
[Today at 09:44:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:43:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by robleflaneur
[Today at 09:41:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 09:41:35 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:40:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Clampy
[Today at 09:40:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Beard82
[Today at 09:39:18 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 767595 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #3840 on: May 10, 2020, 11:53:54 AM »
I think the only reason relegation is still included in the discussion is because of the TV angle of it keeping interest for the viewer.

I am thinking that the whole issue is now centring around the so called money that the Premier League would have to give back to the broadcasters.  It is time that this is put to the test.  Will they have to or not.  There would probably still be the loss from foreign broadcasting of future matches still to be played but it is the SKY/BT deals that keep on being mentioned.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3841 on: May 10, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
Well, I can tell you now, I will not be watching this farce if there is relegation.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3842 on: May 10, 2020, 12:21:51 PM »
Well, I can tell you now, I will not be watching this farce if there is relegation.

You will though mate and I reckon we all will.  Much as i disagree with their rule changing and disgraceful antics, I will be watching because I don't want Villa to go down.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3843 on: May 10, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »
I agree with Frank

if we don’t finish the season we will go down in my opinion

They have us over a barrel
for those pinning their  hopes on a legal battle they won’t give a toss

we will be battling in court not knowing what league we will be playing in and everyone else will be preparing for it
it’s a nightmare scenario

Online aj2k77

« Reply #3844 on: May 10, 2020, 01:02:27 PM »
Another Brighton player tests positive. He remains unnamed and has to self isolate for 14 days.

This desperate plan is unworkable, unless you are willing to accept infections and passing on the virus. It is impossible to carry on without doing so.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #3845 on: May 10, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »
At the end of the day it IS some pretty shabby performances over the last half dozen games or so that have put us where we are.  If that team had gone into an immediate 9/10 game shoot out we were as good as down.  I think it is wrong we should be denied home stadium even with no spectators and honestly can't understand the willingness by supporters to support - other than of cause it won't significantly impact them.

At least if we are playing we have a chance to come out fighting and build some early momentum to ensure that once 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' have won the league and everyone then agrees it should stop we are not relegated on PPG.  If it doesn't get that far then we have to take it to the courts.  The board have a responsibility to protect the shareholder interests and being relegated is certainly not that.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3846 on: May 10, 2020, 01:03:28 PM »
our owners have deep pockets and presumably, if it comes to litigation, they will seek an injunction stopping a resumption until a hearing happens.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #3847 on: May 10, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
our owners have deep pockets and presumably, if it comes to litigation, they will seek an injunction stopping a resumption until a hearing happens.

If it ever came to that there would be a financial settlement out of court, there's no way we'd disrupt the football calendar, the negative publicity would be suicide.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3848 on: May 10, 2020, 01:11:20 PM »
So it's probable we'll have to try and stay up playing behind closed doors and at neutral venues with the backdrop of a deadly virus.

We're Aston Villa: we've never done anything the easy way!

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #3849 on: May 10, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »
Is voiding the league not actually allowed or something because that would have and would be solution then move in to next season

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3850 on: May 10, 2020, 01:23:41 PM »
I would suggest our negotiating position would be if we go along with this, then relegation can only be served by playing out the season.
Ie, if for reasons beyond our control we can not complete the season then relegation can not be forced upon us.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #3851 on: May 10, 2020, 01:24:22 PM »
A third Brighton player test positive for COVID-19. Restart my arse.

Mark Goldbridge of "United we stand" already saying it's "convenient" that this has happened to Brighton and pretty much saying they've done it deliberately. Also mentioned Jack being out (how many weeks ago) as another sign of a club not wanting a restart.

This will, I assume, be a typical reaction from one of the Sky favourites.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #3852 on: May 10, 2020, 01:34:18 PM »
I was so looking forward getting those tossers to Villa Park and seeing Jack destroy them

« Reply #3853 on: May 10, 2020, 01:35:18 PM »

If it ever came to that there would be a financial settlement out of court, there's no way we'd disrupt the football calendar, the negative publicity would be suicide.

Can you see the EFL accepting that the relegated teams not only get the current parachute payments but financial compensation as well.  They are making noises about the inequality as it is.

The only way I think court action will work is if you threaten it if they do not agree to the status quo (no, we are not down, down, yet) remaining the same and see if they blink.  Clearly, legal advice would be taken in the background to ascertain the chances of success.

« Reply #3854 on: May 10, 2020, 01:39:47 PM »
A third Brighton player test positive for COVID-19. Restart my arse.

Mark Goldbridge of "United we stand" already saying it's "convenient" that this has happened to Brighton and pretty much saying they've done it deliberately. Also mentioned Jack being out (how many weeks ago) as another sign of a club not wanting a restart.

This will, I assume, be a typical reaction from one of the Sky favourites.

I suppose he is also saying that other people have conveniently caught it to get out of work and have gone on to die.  I doubt it.  What an insensitive comment by him and shows how sickening this has all become.  You cannot isolate football from life in general and put it in a bubble.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal