collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 754786 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #2055 on: April 12, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
I’d suggest that even playing matches behind closed doors depends on a vaccine being available and effective for all the clubs and officials involved in the professional game.

We seem to be some way off that, at the moment.

Also, I can’t be the only person who hears a chorus of Behind Closed Doors by Charlie Rich every time the phrase comes into discussion.

I think I raised this earlier in the thread but what about players' insurance.  What if a player was to pick up the virus even though a game was played behind closed doors and was put out of the game for some time or, heaven forbid, died through it.  A player's insurance company would certainly be looking at that scenario and either would refuse to insure or force a new greater risk policy on the player.

Sorry I missed it, omvf.
The scenario you describe of Covid 19 being passed on would be inevitable if clubs go ahead and hold matches without vaccinating everyone. It’s not as if players can wear PPE.

I appreciate Brassneck’s technical point about not being able to prove they caught it at the match and testing everybody beforehand. I think it would be cold comfort for anybody who tested positive days after a match, though. I don’t think there’s a test that can definitely rule it out, yet; perhaps there will be one later this year? 

The insurance companies, PL, FIFA players and clubs must be having interesting discussions about this at the moment, given lockdown dates being extended. And Sky.

There will have almost certainly have been discussions with the Government as well as ultimately, they will also have to be satisfied that safety is observed.  I don't think crowds outside a ground will be a problem because anyone who turns up would be slapped with a penalty.

It is interesting that in the article that I linked to in the Independent, it is mentioned that TV companies may be prepared to honour this season's contract even if games are not played provided that an agreement can be reached over next season's contract.  This would obviously ensure that each PL club will stay afloat.  It would probably mean that next season's deal would be lower and this in turn may impact some clubs who are committed to players contracts.

My own feeling is that IF it's possible to play behind closed doors then this will be a preferred alternative to voiding the season.  Either way, playing in front of crowds will not be an option.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2056 on: April 12, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
I disagree. The only fair option, as many have said, is to finish the season under the same conditions as you started it. That isn't going to happen until we have a vaccine.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2057 on: April 12, 2020, 01:53:57 PM »
I disagree. The only fair option, as many have said, is to finish the season under the same conditions as you started it. That isn't going to happen until we have a vaccine.

Yes BUT that isn't an option and isn't likely to be for the rest of 2020 at the very earliest.

So do we just sit around in limbo waiting for clubs to go into liquidation or do we try to resolve it with the next best thing?

We can't just bury our heads in the sand and then pick up again in 6/9/12 months time.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #2059 on: April 12, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
I’d suggest that even playing matches behind closed doors depends on a vaccine being available and effective for all the clubs and officials involved in the professional game.

We seem to be some way off that, at the moment.

Also, I can’t be the only person who hears a chorus of Behind Closed Doors by Charlie Rich every time the phrase comes into discussion.

I think I raised this earlier in the thread but what about players' insurance.  What if a player was to pick up the virus even though a game was played behind closed doors and was put out of the game for some time or, heaven forbid, died through it.  A player's insurance company would certainly be looking at that scenario and either would refuse to insure or force a new greater risk policy on the player.

Sorry I missed it, omvf.
The scenario you describe of Covid 19 being passed on would be inevitable if clubs go ahead and hold matches without vaccinating everyone. It’s not as if players can wear PPE.

I appreciate Brassneck’s technical point about not being able to prove they caught it at the match and testing everybody beforehand. I think it would be cold comfort for anybody who tested positive days after a match, though. I don’t think there’s a test that can definitely rule it out, yet; perhaps there will be one later this year? 

The insurance companies, PL, FIFA players and clubs must be having interesting discussions about this at the moment, given lockdown dates being extended. And Sky.

There will have almost certainly have been discussions with the Government as well as ultimately, they will also have to be satisfied that safety is observed.  I don't think crowds outside a ground will be a problem because anyone who turns up would be slapped with a penalty.

It is interesting that in the article that I linked to in the Independent, it is mentioned that TV companies may be prepared to honour this season's contract even if games are not played provided that an agreement can be reached over next season's contract.  This would obviously ensure that each PL club will stay afloat.  It would probably mean that next season's deal would be lower and this in turn may impact some clubs who are committed to players contracts.

My own feeling is that IF it's possible to play behind closed doors then this will be a preferred alternative to voiding the season.  Either way, playing in front of crowds will not be an option.

All this talk of returning TV cash seems to have missed the part where SKY/BT need the football rights as much as the clubs need the cash.Also it's not like if they get the cash back they can spend it on rights to other sports to bring in subscribers ..

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2060 on: April 12, 2020, 02:26:28 PM »
If Sky screw over the premier league and demand payment for lost revenue if the season is scrapped then the PL will just screw over Sky when it comes to contract renewal and Sky cannot afford to lose that cash cow.
I said before, they both need each other and so it’s only sensible they come to a reasonable way of voiding this season without ripping each other to shreds.

Offline charlatan

« Reply #2061 on: April 12, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »
From that point, they would need 3 - 4 weeks mini pre-season. 

If all teams go back at the same time there is no need for any pre-season if time is of the essence.

Pre season is there so players are properly up to speed and fit to play. No pre season and you risk many many injuries.

Players have the opportunity to maintain basic fitness during this break. I ran further in March than any other month in my life partly as a result of being off on paternity leave and similarly they have more time on their hands to work on fitness. Being up to speed tactically, bedding in new players, etc. are irrelevant. Managing your body on and off the field is part of being a professional.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #2062 on: April 12, 2020, 03:41:25 PM »
From that point, they would need 3 - 4 weeks mini pre-season. 

If all teams go back at the same time there is no need for any pre-season if time is of the essence.

Pre season is there so players are properly up to speed and fit to play. No pre season and you risk many many injuries.

Players have the opportunity to maintain basic fitness during this break. I ran further in March than any other month in my life partly as a result of being off on paternity leave and similarly they have more time on their hands to work on fitness. Being up to speed tactically, bedding in new players, etc. are irrelevant. Managing your body on and off the field is part of being a professional.

A mini pre-season would almost certainly be required.

Bear in mind that if this season is played out, they would then go straight in to the following season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2063 on: April 12, 2020, 04:44:34 PM »
I can't believe there is no consensus on us stopping up and fucking the Albion by keeping them down.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2064 on: April 12, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »
How do you get a consensus that sees us avoid relegation while still promoting the Villa Women?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2065 on: April 12, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »
I’m sure it’s been said before but playing behind closed doors doesn’t necessarily mean no crowd..see the PSG game in Paris I forget against who.
Could you trust the great British public to stay away and even if they did you would still have to have a police presence there to ensure that was the case.

Absolutely. The potential for (relatively) large public gatherings for a game of football would take up vital police resources. If a game is on some idiots will attempt to attend it to claim their 'I was there' moment.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2066 on: April 12, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
Have the greedy cocks agreed to a partial wage cut at all yet?

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #2067 on: April 12, 2020, 05:00:58 PM »
Good article here about the issues of playing even with no fans

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon
Conversations with experts painted a picture of what exactly it would take to make these sports vacuums a reality. Before any of this can begin, every person who would have access to the facilities will need to be isolated separately for two weeks to ensure that no infection could enter. That’s players and coaches, athletic trainers and interpreters, reporters and broadcasters, plus housekeeping and security personnel. No one can come in or out. Food will have to be delivered. Hotel and stadium employees will have to be paid enough to compensate for their time away from their families. Everyone onsite will have to be tested multiple times during this initial period.

All right, so the 14-day period is over and everyone has tested negative at least twice. Now they are allowed to begin spending time around one another—but not too much time. If one person gets it, he or she will begin spreading it immediately, so everyone will have to continue practicing social distancing. That probably means using a new ball for each play. It probably means seating players in stands rather than on benches or in dugouts. It certainly means banning high-fives.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2068 on: April 12, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »
unless they relegate us as it stands I think the corona virus gives us a better chance of us staying up whatever they decide

The last few league games we were rubbish
I honestly don’t think it was because we weren’t trying but more a total loss of believe, tactics, ability
imo we were down, I know anything can happen in football but whenever we needed a result or even a performance it didn’t happen

a new start however that happens with players back from injury and maybe other teams not having as much to play for in a distorted season might give us a better chance than we would have had

I would rather we earned our position in the premier league rather than just be handed it by default as if the rubbish we have played in recent weeks never existed

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2069 on: April 12, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
I’m sure it’s been said before but playing behind closed doors doesn’t necessarily mean no crowd..see the PSG game in Paris I forget against who.
Could you trust the great British public to stay away and even if they did you would still have to have a police presence there to ensure that was the case.

Absolutely. The potential for (relatively) large public gatherings for a game of football would take up vital police resources. If a game is on some idiots will attempt to attend it to claim their 'I was there' moment.
As I said before, how will you keep a million scousers off the streets when they are announced champions?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal