collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746680 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1425 on: March 27, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
Covid time perception check: remember two weeks ago now when our game was still on?
Ahh, the past. Good times, good times.

And the Government said it was perfectly safe to have 250,000 people mingling together at Cheltenham over 4 days!
that was madness - couldn't believe it went ahead - also couldn't believe people didn't think for themselves too.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1426 on: March 27, 2020, 06:50:33 PM »
I haven't missed the sensationalised opinions of footballers or pundits in general or their self importance.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1427 on: March 27, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
Manchester United have informed season ticket holders they can expect a pro-rata rebate or refund if matches are played behind closed doors or cancelled.
I think Aston Villa should come out and say something similar to all this faithful and loyal season ticket holders . At this time just to let supporters know where they are with things.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #1429 on: March 27, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
Difficult decisions

And the photo of the last action, us getting banjaxed by Leicester. This game will forever be remembered as me trying to get a he’s goal stream at Dubai airport in between flights home, to realising I could actually *hear* commentary from a bar not far away. Nervously watching our bags from afar (I know, shouldn’t) whilst equally nervously watching us.

Then holding little AV (nine months yesterday) generously watching with me with apparent interest as I walk up and down between the different screens of the bar, with added spice of an East Asian sneezing dramatically loudly (and very very wet) into his face mask. The shocked/fearful eye contact between strangers. (Before I knew sneezing isn’t a symptom).

Getting tix for Rodders of this Parish to *finally* meet at the Chelsea game, planning on going. Then being relieved it’s called off.

Now keeping my powder dry about ‘efficiency savings’ we’ve (I’ve) had to make in the NHS over the years (now is not the time to remember cut upon Tory cuts, removing nursing bursaries & Brexit to further deplete our flatline staffing levels, right?), fear at totally unprotected colleagues, insufficiently protected colleagues (how very *dare* they downgrade WHO PPE guidelines to suit stocks we have (or can borrow from neighbouring Trusts)) friends and colleagues sick, friends Dad dead, neighbour admitted.

Getting scared when a friend in Devon (paramedics wouldn’t admit as they could still just about breathe independently) goes offline for a few hours last night and you fear they are dead (just checked doing a lot better).

Gratitude at kindness, being able to shop without crazy queues but still with crazy lack of social distance once the regular shoppers join us (facepalm).

Realisation that a lot of us will lose people close to us, remembering universal truths of impermanence and the few things that are ultimately reliable in this world.

Grateful for some recent happy memories down the Villa, as well as the downs.

Grateful to a Dad for blessing my childhood with our glory years.
Must call him and tell him I love him & Mum tomorrow.

Oh and grateful for the distraction and friendship here too. Take care of yourselves.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1430 on: March 28, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »
Must say I am not that bothered what division we are in when a new season eventually starts. With sky clawing back their money the whole landscape may be totally different in 12 months time. As long as Aston Villa continue to play so I can get my fix at villa park then that will do for me.

I was really concerned about the threat of relegation, but given the current situation, it just doesn't seem that important anymore. 

I still favour ending the season now and replaying it next season, but if (and that is a massive if) we are in a position to play football again by the middle of summer, I suppose they could just say the teams that have games in hand play those and then that is it.  You then a have a few weeks to play the play offs and the remaining rounds of the FA Cup. 

Finishing European competitions could be a lot tougher though given that the virus might still be prevalent in some countries at that time. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1431 on: March 28, 2020, 10:55:14 AM »
I hate quoting posts cos it takes up people's scrolls but great post purpletrousers 👏👏👏

Offline exigo

« Reply #1432 on: March 28, 2020, 12:20:31 PM »
This is a lovely touch from AS Roma, sending out care parcels to their oldest season ticket holders. Love that they've snuck a Peroni in too.

Tweet linky.

Offline levico

« Reply #1433 on: March 28, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »
Getting the feeling that the prospect of large gatherings of people watching live sport of any sort is at least a year away.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1434 on: March 28, 2020, 03:42:03 PM »
So Blose games can go ahead?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1435 on: March 28, 2020, 04:07:56 PM »
So Blose games can go ahead?

Well dispatched. Don't bowl there son.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025

Offline levico

« Reply #1437 on: March 28, 2020, 04:19:50 PM »
Next ball —  caught on the boundary.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1438 on: March 28, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
The authorities are perhaps getting more real -
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/28/premier-league-players-stop-training-uncertainty-coronavirus
The article reflects what has been said on here for a while.
I can not see that they can complete this season without seriously  disrupting next season.
I would suggest that they will eventually see that next season is more important and viable than this one
The money and UEFA will I believe come to the same conclusion.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1439 on: March 28, 2020, 07:38:55 PM »
"Time and tide wait for no man"

Geoffrey Chaucer

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal