collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 758491 times)

Offline exigo

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1335 on: March 24, 2020, 09:59:38 PM »
It's a dangerous precedent if any league finishes and has promotion and relegation based on average points. That would be us down.

Think the legal battles would go on longer than the football season.

We've got six home games left and only four away. With a considerably better home record, we would drag any decision to average the season through the courts. And rightly so.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1336 on: March 24, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »
You can't average out a season. Too much unpredictability.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1337 on: March 24, 2020, 10:02:07 PM »
Far too many variables to consider.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1338 on: March 24, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
All this bollocks about law suits from Leeds and Albion etc.  If the PL clubs vote and the vote is carried that's the end of it.  The law suits the PL will want o avoid are those from existing PL clubs as those are the ones that would have a case.  I'd say there is zero chance of an evening out of points or taking the current positions as final. If they cant finish the season it'll either be a straight void or give 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' the title and have no relegation.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1339 on: March 25, 2020, 12:18:54 AM »
All this bollocks about law suits from Leeds and Albion etc.  If the PL clubs vote and the vote is carried that's the end of it.  The law suits the PL will want o avoid are those from existing PL clubs as those are the ones that would have a case.  I'd say there is zero chance of an evening out of points or taking the current positions as final. If they cant finish the season it'll either be a straight void or give 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' the title and have no relegation.

Oz villain what's it like in Oz ?
I hear that non essential has been shut down and that the government has taken effective measures and acted decisive

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #1340 on: March 25, 2020, 12:32:28 AM »
Well as of today all shopping centres, cafes, gyms, hospitality etc are closed and strict restrictions on social gatherings - 5 at a wedding, outdoor fitness bootcamps no more than 10 persons. 'Encouraged' to work from home but no complete lock downs and we are still in our office although Mrs Ozvilla is working from home. All sports postponed and no movement around the country as each state closes it's borders to all but essential travel. Schools still open.

Told we have one of the highest testing regimes in the world and the lowest death rate currently in the world.  Extremely worried about our jobs obviously as the economy stalls but I think we're as on top of this as you can be from a public health point of view although as you guys go in to the warmer months we enter our cooler 'flu season' months.

We are here but also have close family in both the UK and US so are keeping a close eye across them all. I think thee's a lot of depression going to come from this and as well as physical health I'm concerned for peoples mental health too.

This country has now had the double hit of the bushfires and to now have this is just horrendous.  Those were both once in a lifetime  economic and social shocks that have now happened 3 months apart

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1341 on: March 25, 2020, 01:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the update OzVilla. Hope you can all get through this as well as possible.
Is there any suggestion that the warmer climate down there has helped as this is one of the straws we have been clutching at in the northern hemisphere.

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #1342 on: March 25, 2020, 01:36:07 AM »
Not sure CL. However, we have cases increasing in Queensland and we wouldn't have had a day below 25c since last October.  Also cases exploding in Indonesia where its 27c-30c and humid pretty much all year around.

Make of that what you will.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #1343 on: March 25, 2020, 01:45:43 AM »
We’re currently in Barbados where temp fluctuates between 24-30. There are 18 cases on the island initially all brought in from U.K. / US although after none yesterday 1 today (plus 16 negative tests) which seems to be a local man - no detail yet as to whether his business would have taken him into contact with the tourists. From what has been written above our hope that the heat would provide a solution may be misplaced. Some actions by the government to limit gatherings etc and with most tourists having left a lot of shops and restaurants taking the decision to close anyway. Generally most being sensible and social distancing even in the local rum shacks that stay open. Our flight home for Saturday has been cancelled so in the hands of virgin as to when we get back. A little in two minds about it as consider myself safer here if we don’t get sick but if it balloons then perhaps not the best place to be. Anyone else out here be interested to hear from.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #1344 on: March 25, 2020, 01:57:15 AM »
We’re currently in Barbados where temp fluctuates between 24-30. There are 18 cases on the island initially all brought in from U.K. / US although after none yesterday 1 today (plus 16 negative tests) which seems to be a local man - no detail yet as to whether his business would have taken him into contact with the tourists. From what has been written above our hope that the heat would provide a solution may be misplaced. Some actions by the government to limit gatherings etc and with most tourists having left a lot of shops and restaurants taking the decision to close anyway. Generally most being sensible and social distancing even in the local rum shacks that stay open. Our flight home for Saturday has been cancelled so in the hands of virgin as to when we get back. A little in two minds about it as consider myself safer here if we don’t get sick but if it balloons then perhaps not the best place to be. Anyone else out here be interested to hear from.
Edit. Local media now reporting the latest case was found through contact tracing therefore would have been in direct contact with an earlier case. Some comfort that if you don’t get a tap on the shoulder from the authorities you’re probably safe thus far.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1345 on: March 25, 2020, 01:57:32 AM »
Not sure CL. However, we have cases increasing in Queensland and we wouldn't have had a day below 25c since last October.  Also cases exploding in Indonesia where its 27c-30c and humid pretty much all year around.

Make of that what you will.
Thanks, I will have to stick with drinking cattle piss then.

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #1346 on: March 25, 2020, 04:41:09 AM »
Schools still open.

Schools in Victoria closed yesterday (Tuesday). We've brought forward the Easter break which was due to start next week anyway.

Online jwarry

« Reply #1347 on: March 25, 2020, 04:52:56 AM »
In lockdown here in Northern Cyprus for a week and 2 more to go.  £600 fine if you are caught walking your dog! And yet we only have 34 cases, 30 of which were German tourists who were quarantined for 3 weeks and sent home yesterday, and no deaths yet

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #1348 on: March 25, 2020, 06:13:59 AM »
Total lockdown from midnight tonight in NZ. Supermarkets, Chemists and Petrol Stations still open.
I have been working from home anyway, so no real issue.

Are still allowed out to walk, run, bike etc. 

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1349 on: March 25, 2020, 07:10:52 AM »

I have a couple of nagging worries.

Firstly, if next season can't be started on time (meaning there won't be time to complete it), then the PL will vote to complete this season next January/February/March.

Secondly, currently, a two thirds majority is needed for a vote to be passed.  I think the bottom 6 will all vote the same way but how many more would want to write off £750 million in TV fees plus more in gate receipts etc?  I don't think we'd get the majority that is required.  In that scenario, could the clubs agree on a majority vote (not two thirds majority but just a majority)?

In an ideal situation, we need next season to be able to start by September(ish) at the latest.  I think the only solution in that case would be to void the existing season.  Whether it will be possible to allow sport to commence so early is probably a tad optimistic.  This next 3 weeks will give us an indication.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal