collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: BRMB Phone-in  (Read 6035 times)

Offline tomd2103

BRMB Phone-in
« on: February 21, 2020, 10:09:24 PM »
Came across this the other day and it brought some memories back:

The first caller could have been a time traveller from this season!

Offline NatP

Re: BRMB Phone-in
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:10:23 PM »
Great memories, thanks for sharing that.

George sounds more like Mike Parry than I remembered (May or may not be a compliment)

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 11:38:32 PM »
Butler anchoring the show in the the studio, Gavin following The Villa, Ross following Small Heath and Tony Trethewey following Albion. Butler was a natural wind up merchant but it was too forced when Gavin tried to follow in his footsteps and be controversial. There is a chapter about all of those BRMB phone in  characters in one of Jasper Carrott's books (A Little Zit On The Side I think). The chapter is entitled 'Allo Tone, 'Arry Here'.
"I'll tell you something Tone Keith Bertschin headed the ball at St. Andrews today and if it had gone in the net it would have been a goal" I think Tony Butler lost his job after an altercation with Brian Savin who did the country music show.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 08:31:49 AM »
Butler anchoring the show in the the studio, Gavin following The Villa, Ross following Small Heath and Tony Trethewey following Albion. Butler was a natural wind up merchant but it was too forced when Gavin tried to follow in his footsteps and be controversial. There is a chapter about all of those BRMB phone in  characters in one of Jasper Carrott's books (A Little Zit On The Side I think). The chapter is entitled 'Allo Tone, 'Arry Here'.
"I'll tell you something Tone Keith Bertschin headed the ball at St. Andrews today and if it had gone in the net it would have been a goal" I think Tony Butler lost his job after an altercation with Brian Savin who did the country music show.

Was that something to do with Savin being disabled or am I completely losing it?  I definitely remember a row between two presenters over something to do with disability, it could have been over here mind.  It has definitely struck a chord with me.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 12:02:17 PM »
I think the story was he pushed him out of his wheelchair after they had an argument on air (?) during a handover between shows. It’s probably an urban myth but....

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »
Wiki

In 1984, Butler was sacked from BRMB after a row with fellow broadcaster Brian Savin, who is disabled. Savin had sent a note to Butler complaining about coverage of a cricket match over-running into his show; Butler was said to have found the content of the note offensive and confronted Savin, pulling him out of his chair during the ensuing argument. The dismissal of such a high-profile personality was front-page news in Birmingham, and programmes on BRMB were severely affected as some of Butler's former colleagues walked out on strike.

Butler later commented that the matter had been blown out of all proportion, claiming that he remained friends with Savin. He preferred to attribute the sacking to a general falling-out with BRMB management.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 12:43:40 PM »
Other Butler moments

Butler was still unable to shake off his controversial image though; in 1989 Radio WM's reporters found themselves banned from covering Wolverhampton Wanderers games after the club accused Butler of making racist comments about one of their black players, Shane Westley.

Tony Butler courted additional controversy on a BBC West Midlands radio programme, broadcast on 28 March 2007. He stated that women should not be in war zones and, commenting on kidnapped British sailor Faye Turney, said that were she decapitated, "it would serve her right."

His outburst prompted a barrage of complaints from listeners, and led the BBC to issue an apology.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 12:46:41 PM »
Thanks PWS, it's a comfort to me that I'm not going around the bend, well not too quickly anyway.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »

George sounds more like Mike Parry than I remembered (May or may not be a compliment)

Parry is a pretty smart operator. He shows his extensive knowledge and journalistic experience when he is discussing things seriously. In his more light hearted role he deliberately plays the clown/oaf.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 07:22:07 PM »

Parry is a pretty smart operator. He shows his extensive knowledge and journalistic experience when he is discussing things seriously. In his more light hearted role he deliberately plays the clown/oaf.

That’s the first time I’ve heard the words Mike Parry and smart used in the same sentence. Is he still polluting the airwaves on Talkshite as rentagobshite?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 05:17:31 PM »
For the first few years Butler was a great, innovative presenter but instead of moving on he got increasingly outspoken - his attacks on Tony Barton, for example, were disgraceful. Then from about 1995 onward he was just a sad old caricature forever going on about the good old days and wrapping his views up in a barely-disguised layer of xenophobia.

George Gavin was just a prick. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:22:25 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »
We’ve done this one before but does anyone remember a bloke ringing up Gavin and accusing him of shagging his mother? The callers mother that is.

It was excruciating.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 02:20:57 PM »
From 19:48 minutes, Heroes and Villains fanzine get a mention from George Gavin. Shame he went on to call it a gutter rag and would only be of use if he ran out of Andrex.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 02:28:59 PM »
From 19:48 minutes, Heroes and Villains fanzine get a mention from George Gavin. Shame he went on to call it a gutter rag and would only be of use if he ran out of Andrex.

Would that be the time when he went through pages 2,3, 4, 5 and 7, not mentioning page 6 that was about him?

Offline manic-road

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »

Would that be the time when he went through pages 2,3, 4, 5 and 7, not mentioning page 6 that was about him?

Dave I don't know what page it was on but according to George it was a sub-human attack on him. Perhaps he was peeved as it wasn't long after someone came on and called him a bastard.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal