collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing  (Read 24242 times)

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
Re: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2020, 07:25:07 AM »
I can accept the difference in ability. They have better footballers than we do. No shame in that. They are very, very good. As well they should be having spent a decent-sized country’s GDP assembling a team. What I struggle with is the meek surrender. The beaten before we even start, not laying a glove on them, talking ourselves into submission nonsense. Surely there’s more to it than this? 

Yes this is it. There’s losing and there’s losing. Dean’s comment along the lines of ‘two in the bottom three were playing and we were playing Manchester City. It doesn’t take a betting man to think we’d be in the bottom 3 after today.’ Whilst there’s obviously truth to that it’s a bloody defeatist attitude. It’s hardly surprising we’re meek and pathetic if the manager thinks like that.
Yes - and, “Their two strikers cost more than our team put together.”

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:26 AM »
Smith's turned to shit and the job is eating him alive. The same applies to the coaching staff and DoF. Two of our last three owners have been/are multi billionaires running huge businesses but they do not know how to run a football club. Total clusterfuck.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2020, 07:38:46 AM »
If we somehow get past Leicester, we play them at Wembley on a bigger pitch, I can’t wait!!

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2020, 07:41:32 AM »
I thought VP was the same size, but it doesn't really matter. We can't play very well and they can.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2020, 07:46:25 AM »
I can accept the difference in ability. They have better footballers than we do. No shame in that. They are very, very good. As well they should be having spent a decent-sized country’s GDP assembling a team. What I struggle with is the meek surrender. The beaten before we even start, not laying a glove on them, talking ourselves into submission nonsense. Surely there’s more to it than this? 

Yes this is it. There’s losing and there’s losing. Dean’s comment along the lines of ‘two in the bottom three were playing and we were playing Manchester City. It doesn’t take a betting man to think we’d be in the bottom 3 after today.’ Whilst there’s obviously truth to that it’s a bloody defeatist attitude. It’s hardly surprising we’re meek and pathetic if the manager thinks like that.

Yes, and the team at the bottom beat Man City 3-2!

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »
When i saw the team sheet and saw Taylor and Elmo i feared the worst!
Hourihane, Taylor, Elmo, Konsa, Nyland, Hause. Not even a top 6 championship team worthy imo

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »

Yes, and the team at the bottom beat Man City 3-2!

I get what your saying in terms of a comparison with our collapse yesterday. But a couple of weeks after Norwich bt city, we hammered them 5-1 and they’ve hardly won a game since and are the only team cut adrift. So I’m not really sure how useful those comparisons are at all.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2020, 08:19:44 AM »
It was their next home team and the same XI.

You have to compete, close space and make it difficult. Norwich gifted us acreage and we hammered them. We did the same yesterday to a significantly better side and were destroyed.

The chalk and cheese performance between Wednesday's commitment off the ball, in our shape was night and day.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2020, 08:19:53 AM »
Hourihane, Taylor, Elmo, Konsa, Nyland, Hause. Not even a top 6 championship team worthy imo
This

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2020, 08:33:18 AM »
Regarding meekness, we've always been a soft touch that doesn't really rip up the formbook. And since the decline under Lerner when we've become genuine underdogs, we always lack the necessary bite and work ethic that underdogs need.

It might be to do with the stadium, training complex etc. When players come here it probably feels like a top tier club, which probably in turn influences their attitude.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2020, 08:38:20 AM »

Same

saw that on the way and felt disheartened

Smith seems to have gone from Villa saviour with clear footballing principles to someone who is sucking the life out of the club with his decisions

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »

Good point well made.
We’re recovering from the cluster that the previous regime put together with the Wyness 3 squad nonsense.
We still have Lansbury and Taylor with 18 months left on contracts - 2 players who are widely accepted as mid championship players.
Elmo was given an extension for his experience I think but if we survive he will be replaced hopefully with a player that makes Guilbert a squad player or another prospect to push him.

Konsa was signed for the future, Hause a squad player and Nyland is 3rd choice for a reason.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2020, 08:45:41 AM »
Yesterday was bloody painful to watch. It smacked of a team that has lost faith in the management. The lack of effort to retrieve the ball when City were playing tippy tappy in our 18 yard box was criminal. Something has got to change, and fast, if we're to going to avoid the drop. I have a gut feeling that they are already planning for next season in the championship. Could be my hangover talking i really hope i'm wrong.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »

Good point well made.
We’re recovering from the cluster that the previous regime put together with the Wyness 3 squad nonsense.
We still have Lansbury and Taylor with 18 months left on contracts - 2 players who are widely accepted as mid championship players.
Elmo was given an extension for his experience I think but if we survive he will be replaced hopefully with a player that makes Guilbert a squad player or another prospect to push him.

Konsa was signed for the future, Hause a squad player and Nyland is 3rd choice for a reason.

problem is you don't recover from a cluster fuck by signing players who cant get in the team because they arn't any better than the ones that put you in the cluster fuck in the first place

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2020, 08:52:27 AM »
Quickly pressed delete on this one.

That match posed so many worrying questions about our physical and mental approach. We showed no toughness or belief. We need to fight like LIONS and show some of the desire and organisation we showed at Leicester.

Is Nyland good enough or does Reina come straight in? How do we sort out the midfield (all of whom were woeful yesterday)? Do we stick with three at the back?  Can we get a decent striker in?

Massive few days coming up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal