collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing  (Read 24241 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
If we think today was bad .....we've yet to play at Anfield
I have a sneaky suspicion they will be looking to inflict a heavy defeat upon us to avenge our win over their "kids" in the League Cup

Given that they're currently enjoying the sensation of being the undisputed best team in the world I imagine that it's a stretch to think that they could give a flying fuck about Caribou Cup or indeed Aston Villa.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08:05 PM »
Believe me, they will ;)

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08:12 PM »
1 positive from today, the support 2nd half from the stands was good to see.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »
Tell you what, though. Them De Bruyne and Aguero chaps, they're a bit good at football. I'm not going to comment on those in claret and blue, they deserve no more of my time or thought today.

As brilliant as he is, WTF was Aguero doing when he shoved JG over & started gettin' all arsey & aggro? I was thinking it was a real pity (although not surprising) it wasn't Mings he pushed over - as Tyrone might well have chinned the bugger.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2020, 09:11:38 PM »
Thereby missing the next 3 games.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2020, 09:12:38 PM »
I’m not sure if it’s correct (Getting my stats from a unreliable Bad English picture)

We fouled five times and they fouled 12.

Obviously not the most important statistic today, but it’s a little damning.

It's also not just how often we foul, but when and where we foul. Someone on either the My Old Man Said or Villa View podcast made the excellent point that Smith seems to be a bit too much of a niceguy, do things in the right spirit guy, and you never see us do those cynical fouls higher up the pitch that stop attacks before they become too dangerous.

Man City excel at those.

We tend to commit our fouls either in the box or in a dangerous area nearby.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2020, 09:24:34 PM »
If we think today was bad .....we've yet to play at Anfield
I have a sneaky suspicion they will be looking to inflict a heavy defeat upon us to avenge our win over their "kids" in the League Cup

Given that they're currently enjoying the sensation of being the undisputed best team in the world I imagine that it's a stretch to think that they could give a flying fuck about Caribou Cup or indeed Aston Villa.

It's actually the game they could break the Arsenal 49 Invincibles record so will be a big one for them if they remain unbeaten.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2020, 09:24:49 PM »
I’m not sure if it’s correct (Getting my stats from a unreliable Bad English picture)

On top of that our midfield won 4 tackles between them in 90 minutes.

They were however very good at letting City run off them time and time again. Not one tactical foul. City stopped Grealish every time he had an opportunity to run with the ball.

We are naive and soft.

This is very, very true. Liverpool do the same, clever fouls that stop the opponent breaking forward. It happened 4-5 times yesterday at Tottenham.

But this stuff is coached, it's not coming out of nowhere. We're at the bottom and we should be scrapping for our lives doing whatever it takes to avoid the drop. We are instead non-physical and polite. This has to be a failure of the coaching and the mentality that our players go into games with.

Folk on here would have screamed blue murder if Nigel Pearson was ever linked with our Manager job but Christ he has got Watford at it.

Is it too much to expect our team to match the desire and physicality of our opponents?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:49 PM »
So whose to blame for that?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2020, 09:27:41 PM »
But we have to remember that last time out we matched the physicality and desire of Burnley.

richtheholtender

« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2020, 09:28:01 PM »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2020, 09:28:06 PM »
The buck stops with Smith.   

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2020, 09:29:40 PM »
Which isn't good enough to do every other game. There is no excuse to not be physically and mentally at it 95% of the time, you have to be well drilled, focused, no excuses, man up and face up to what is expected and have a game plan drilled in to you. Even if it's simple, it has to be drilled.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2020, 09:31:21 PM »

On top of that our midfield won 4 tackles between them in 90 minutes.

They were however very good at letting City run off them time and time again. Not one tactical foul. City stopped Grealish every time he had an opportunity to run with the ball.

We are naive and soft.

This is very, very true. Liverpool do the same, clever fouls that stop the opponent breaking forward. It happened 4-5 times yesterday at Tottenham.

But this stuff is coached, it's not coming out of nowhere. We're at the bottom and we should be scrapping for our lives doing whatever it takes to avoid the drop. We are instead non-physical and polite. This has to be a failure of the coaching and the mentality that our players go into games with.

Folk on here would have screamed blue murder if Nigel Pearson was ever linked with our Manager job but Christ he has got Watford at it.

Is it too much to expect our team to match the desire and physicality of our opponents?

Example of this is Milner  , usually used as a late sub by Liverpool to see out a game and he puts in tackles , gives away fouls and gets booked alot.City today with Fernandinho , 5 nil up and he still took out Grealish and took a card to stop him running past him.

Online KRS

« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2020, 09:40:01 PM »
We were clearly playing 541 for most of the second off with Jack on the right and AEG as the only outlet up front. Couldn’t believe what I was watching tbh. We’re an absolute clusterfuck mess of a team at the moment. So much to do...yet so little time or money we can spend to fix it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal