collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing  (Read 24211 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2020, 07:49:38 PM »
I left after the 5th went in. As mentioned, our midfield was absent, no movement or pace and gave the ball away when we did actually have it. No striker is cost us. The transfer policy from the summer has really been shown up over Christmas and now this. Smith has a lot to do to turn them around for next 3 matches. I thought we would a t least have a go, but when I saw our teamsheet, shudder.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2020, 07:49:51 PM »
In what universe, do you play a midfield containing Horahane and an even slower player in Drinkwatee against Man City, even allowing for the fact we have no forwards?

When the other options are Nakamba who is woefully out of form, and Lansbury who has never been in form?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:53:51 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2020, 07:51:13 PM »
Horrendous, the transfer window is collapsing around us by the day, we simply haven't gone into the window in a planned way to improve the team, Drinkwater isn't going to do anything to improve squad, there simply isn't a plan to get us out of this very deep hole, in short Smith should go, either by his own determination or the board should step in and say, this is as far as we can go, the terrible thing here is nobody seems to give a flying hoot, seem quite happy to watch the club slide under, do nothing, no question, Aston Villa will be back in the Championship in a few short months. 

Offline richrunner

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
In what universe, do you play a midfield containing Horahane and an even slower player in Drinkwatee against Man City, even allowing for the fact we have no forwards?

Exactly - the decision to have a player who has played less than 4 matches in the last year, in poor form, dreadfully unfit and low in confidence, man mark probably the most skillful and in-form ballplaying midfielder in the league right now, was bordering on the insane. Dean Smith truly owns this defeat.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2020, 07:54:27 PM »
Drinkwater played as a man-marker?

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2020, 07:55:32 PM »
Saw Luiz give the ball away so many times in our own half again today. Infuriating.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »
Freddie is a very good player and I'd have started him, but when you have nobody upfront and it's not out of choice, you struggle.

A few of those there today were struggling 365 days ago at Wigan. You play poorly against that lot, while they play well, the outcome isn't particularly surprising.

We could have pressed better, maybe could have played this player. Reality is, there's no combination of players I'd could pick over the last 25 years that would make me, a positive and optimistic guy, think we could beat that lot. It seems everybody else, including the players felt the same.

Norwich beat them. Newcastle drew. A starting point is to compete and not perform as if you have no right to be on the same pitch as them.

Offline richrunner

« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »

He man marked his own shadow (and passed to it a few times) by the looks of things!

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2020, 07:57:23 PM »
Freddie is a very good player and I'd have started him, but when you have nobody upfront and it's not out of choice, you struggle.

A few of those there today were struggling 365 days ago at Wigan. You play poorly against that lot, while they play well, the outcome isn't particularly surprising.

We could have pressed better, maybe could have played this player. Reality is, there's no combination of players I'd could pick over the last 25 years that would make me, a positive and optimistic guy, think we could beat that lot. It seems everybody else, including the players felt the same.

Norwich beat them. Newcastle drew. A starting point is to compete and not perform as if you have no right to be on the same pitch as them.

It's done Norwich a lot of good.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2020, 08:01:24 PM »
Dean was very honest with his post match interview but seems to be holding Pitarch responsible, solely, for the signing of players, almost, in my opinion, to be distancing himself from the transfer activity?
Blaming someone else you say?  That's a startling development.

Shows a lack of togetherness, the cracks are starting to open.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 08:06:41 PM by Newby »

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2020, 08:08:10 PM »
just about what i suspected. Surprised that Villa got a goal. I was already back at the car by the time it went in

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2020, 08:08:33 PM »
Unacceptable but easily forgotton if we can get 7 from the next 3 league games. Two wins as an absolute minimum, any less than that and I can't see us staying up with our remaining fixtures and lack of quality.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2020, 08:09:59 PM »

Drinkwater’s passing was Westy-esque in its sidewaysness

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2020, 08:10:36 PM »
Villa Park is what Ewood Park is when Blackburn were in the Prem. A ground away fans enjoy coming too with the likelyhoodof getting a result.

Also as a side note, what a piss poor plastic club Man City have become. Used to bring proper fans that would explode after each goal. Just polite applause after each goal today, their success over the past decade must make them immune to the pleasures of scoring and winning. Atleast Liverpool, even with the odious media wankathon over them, are a proper fucking club.

Offline saint13

« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2020, 08:11:00 PM »

We have taken 1 point off the top 6 , we are also poor against the teams near the top in the championship under Smith.The problem is then the games against the lower league teams we cant afford to drop any points.

It is much worse than that we have taken 1 point out of 33 against teams who are currently in the top half...that is a worrying statistic by anyone's standards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal