collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing  (Read 24224 times)

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
Re: Aston Villa Silhouettes vs Manchester City Post-Match Thrashing
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »
Always likely to lose but we have fallen apart tonight and I worry we are going to struggle to come back from this.

They scored 6 but the most fouled player was Jack , says it all we didnt ever get close enough to them to get a foot in.We so badly need a proper physically CM/DCM .We are set up to play nice passing triangles we are always off the pace in games for the most part ( Burnley we were better )

I think again you have to question Smith here , this kind of result has been coming we top the stats for shots conceded against.We allow teams too much time to get in on goal.His Brentford team was the same they have improved since he left and now have best defence in league and challenging for an auto promotion place.

Need a few players in now and some positive results in next 3 games

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »
Port Vale had a better plan and put up more fight against them than what we did.

A cowards line up that was, 5-5-0, what the fuck is all that about? Shit himself before a ball was even kicked.

I feel weve wasted weeks and a January window now by sticking with him.

I have no issues losing to Man City, but losing before we have kicked a ball is unnaceptable. The amount of respect shown to them was sickening.

Hes officially lost me after that, I want him 100% gone.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 06:43:11 PM »
Positive: We scored a goal.

Negative: Everything else.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
"Its not football anymore". I don't think Man City sung that with any irony either.

Turns out spending a billion makes you quite good. Struggling for words really and struggling to.get worked up. They did what everybody thought they'd do and perhaps the only thing we learnt was that Reina is a must as Nyland let 3 in I thought he should have stopped.

The first goal, Mahrez just ran in a straight line. Dougie was poor but at least he was involved, Hourihane was his typical anonymous self. I get why he was on the pitch for free kicks, but still. £1.5m against that De Bruyne fella, who if he concentrates and works hard, I think he can make a career out of football.

We didn't know whether to close, press or compress the space. It didn't matter as they moved the ball and themselves so effectively our heads span.

*shrugs*

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 06:44:36 PM »
Too many players with half hearted passes, half hearted marking, ambling back and ball watching.  Several opportunities to clear, not taken, all adds to the embarrassment of this terrible defeat, which has left us with a rotten goal difference, camped in the bottom three and has probably sapped any confidence we had from the last two games.  Nyland proved today that he's not good enough at this level, Elmo, Kona, Hause, Hologram, Lansbury, Douglas, Taylor are all mid-table Championship players on the evidence shown this season.  To start Drinkwater, I don't really have a problem with, otherwise, why sign him on loan?  That said, he was awful as well.  Only Mings, Grealish and El Ghazi get anything like an acceptable mark for me today.  Trez came on and did ok, but what did he have to lose?  Awful performance.  No motivation, no organisation, no quality, poor passing. Watching the goals again now and each one was so very badly defended.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 06:44:55 PM »
We were good in the last two minutes. An insignificant result in the scheme of things. We need to get minimum 4 from next two.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 06:45:16 PM »
What can you say other than all our chickens have come home to roost.

We have Championship players all over the park.
We have a Championship head coach.
We have a Championship assistant coach
We went into the season with no proven goalscorer at this level.
We brought in Danny Drinkwater & Pepe Raina so far this window.

The owners may have changed but quite honestly they're beginning to look as inept as the last 2.

Hard to disagree with that. What we do have is Champions League quality fans. Attendances have been fantastic.

Agree as for the players, only Grealish and Mings are good enough, El Ghazi gave his all out of position. If I never see Hause, Elmohamady, Lansbury, Luiz, Kodjia, Taylor, Konsa and Nakamba again in a Villa shirt it will still be too soon. Time for the owner to really show their ambition and get Pochitino and his people  or they'll be showing they're no better than our manager, coaches and his team of recruiters
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:49:03 PM by PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt »

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 06:47:01 PM »
Well that went well! 🥴

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »
I blame the owners for not taking a tighter grip on Smith and his coaching staff.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2020, 06:49:20 PM »
So we got 0 points. We need to focus on the next 3. That will have more bearing on survival than whether we lost by 1 or 4 or 8 today.

Of course it matters what we lost by, for a start our goal difference has been battered. Personally I would rather loose 0-1 & put up a performance than what I just saw

It’s extremely unlikely to come down to goal difference however the next three matches have nine vital points up for grabs.

There is a lot of bed wetting going on.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 06:49:41 PM »
Just a woeful performance. They came out looking beaten and like rabbits in headlights. City were superb but we made it so easy for them. The absolute minimum should be to make it difficult and get in their faces.
Nyland - should have done better with 2.
Drinkwater - absolute waste of space and shocking for 2 goals. My only defence is that he should never have started today and that’s on Dean.
Hause - gave Drinkwater a good run for his money in terms of who was the worst player on the pitch.
Luiz - about as much use as a shadow
Hourihane, Elmo, Taylor, Konsa all proved their nowhere near good enough. Not unduly poor, just simply not good enough
Jack, Mings and el Ghazi were ok.
Thought Trez and Nakamba were lively ish when they came on.
Season won’t be defined today but it certainly doesn’t help. They need 2 forwards minimum in and if they’re going to play 3 at the back then Guilbert and Targett have to start (not that they’re brilliant) and I wonder if we can shoe horn Engels or Chester in ahead of Hause

Offline Villan82

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 06:49:55 PM »
A Pochitino may have come to villa ten years ago but not now.

We are, yet again, at the arse end of the table in the top flight. He will be waiting on a top four job.

Offline postal

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 06:50:13 PM »
Positive: We scored a goal.

Negative: Everything else.

To score a pen, you need to be in their pen area, so at least we were there towards the end. Though I guess even ManCity take the foot off the gas at some point.

Well you don't need to be in their pen area, a defender might handball it under no pressure. Even we wouldn't do that... ::)  ;D

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 06:51:55 PM »
A 3-5-2 with Taylor and Elmo is a 5-3-2, a 5-3-2 with Jack and El-Ghazi is a 5-5-0. Fucking hell what was that line up.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
Pathetic.

Ok, they're light years ahead of us, but we didn't even try.

Starting to worry that Smith isn't up to managing at this level. I really want it to work out, but it's looking more likely that it wont

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal