collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 22643 times)

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Re: Fulham v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
In fairness when we had a decent team 77-85 we had some horrible draws.

77 Man Utd (A) Round 6
78 Everton (A) 3
79 Forest (A) 3
80 West Ham (A) 6, when Ken decided to wave to someone in the crowd in the last minute as West Ham slung a cross in
81 Ipswich (A) 3
82 Spurs (A) 5
83 Arsenal (A) 6
84 the one poor one, losing a replay away to Norwich in round 3
85 Liverpool (A) 3

1980 and 1992 were missed opportunities, as were the two finals we qualified for but didn't turn up for.

I've only just recovered from Oldham in 1990.

Cold, so cold...

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2020, 08:25:05 PM »
In fairness when we had a decent team 77-85 we had some horrible draws.

77 Man Utd (A) Round 6
78 Everton (A) 3
79 Forest (A) 3
80 West Ham (A) 6, when Ken decided to wave to someone in the crowd in the last minute as West Ham slung a cross in
81 Ipswich (A) 3
82 Spurs (A) 5
83 Arsenal (A) 6
84 the one poor one, losing a replay away to Norwich in round 3
85 Liverpool (A) 3

1980 and 1992 were missed opportunities, as were the two finals we qualified for but didn't turn up for.

I've only just recovered from Oldham in 1990.

Cold, so cold...
Without you to hold

This Christmas

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2020, 10:16:32 PM »
I suppose today’s game shows how much we depend on Jack.

And Mings......SJM......Heaton.....     ::)

Yes, the team really was ‘spineless’ yesterday.
I thought most of them did their best, but were up against it and still expect some excellent incomers, even as superloans, this January, to replace the leadership, competence and flair that injury has taken out of the squad.

Offline KRS

« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2020, 11:03:56 PM »
Sounds like they’re not a fair reflection of the game but we didn’t look too bad on the highlights and created enough good chances to put the game to bed in the first half...but failed miserably to convert any (including AEG inexcusably guilty of missing a complete sitter with just the keeper to beat). Their 2 goals in the second half were quality strikes and Nyland stood no chance keeping either out. There can be no excuses though... there simply isn’t enough quality strength in depth at the moment.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #199 on: January 06, 2020, 07:03:07 AM »
For me if our "SQUAD" players are not good enough to beat a championship side, then why are they still at our football club?, because we cannot rely on any of them to step up into the first team, against the best of the premier league and do a job.

Maybe before next season, if we are still in the premier league, the club should tell us which games they are prioritising so I can choose whether to attend or not.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2020, 08:06:15 AM »
For me if our "SQUAD" players are not good enough to beat a championship side, then why are they still at our football club?, because we cannot rely on any of them to step up into the first team, against the best of the premier league and do a job.

Maybe before next season, if we are still in the premier league, the club should tell us which games they are prioritising so I can choose whether to attend or not.
Maybe because we have just been promoted?

We already made massive changes, was it 10 out and in last summer? I’m sure for us to have completely changed every single player within the squad that might not of been able to make the step up, we’d have been looking at moving on near on 15 players!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:07:47 AM by Ian J »

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2020, 08:45:13 AM »
This will probably not go down well, but for this season only, I’m kind of glad we went out. LC is our chance for a trip to Wembley and focus on PL survival.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2020, 06:48:14 PM »
I'm sorry to say I feel exactly the same way.

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2020, 07:31:07 PM »
Robby I totally agree, we haven't got the strength of squad to compete on three fronts. We already have some long term injuries to key players we can't jeopardise the remaining squad by playing excessive matches. I'm afraid that this year is the year to establish ourselves or just survive in this division. We have an opportunity to get to Wembley but I would even for go that occasion to remain in the Premier League. These views maybe unpopular but let's stay up and win the cups next year

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
My calculations are that we lost 25 contracted players over the summer -quite a lot to replace with the FFP restrictions!

That's why we're still stuck with some of the mediocre players we would prefer to be rid of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal