collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The midfielders  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
The midfielders
« on: December 27, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
Jack Grealish is the standout player and is getting better and better.  Even his defending is better these days.

That said, unlike so many other sides in this league who's midfielders seem to have a bit of everything about them in terms of physicality, creativity, pace and goalscoring prowess, Villa seem to have no solid base from which to build central midfield partnerships.  Therefore, we are not able to adequately protect the defence and we are really inconsistent going forward.  Douglas is horribly inconsistent, one good thing, one stupid decision.  Nakamba can be neat and tidy but I'm not sure what sort of player he could be described as.  Hourihane, gets into the box and scores goals, can put in lovely free kicks etc, but can also be a hologram and does not protect the defence, a horses for courses player, get him on when we need a goal.  Lansbury is out of his depth but we need him until the problem is addressed. 

Dean Smith tends to prefers to play quicker passing football where you don't need to be really physical but I think needs to re-think this strategy if we are to stay in the Premier Division as nearly all of the sides in the league have players who can blend into a useful, protective and supportive partnership.  Our midfield has been found out as the opposition scouts will have now had plenty of time to watch us and work out our weaknesses.  With SJM out injured and also out of form, we have to find players who can make a useful partnership.  The current Villa players are still learning how to play together and SJM would potentially be the type of player I am seeking but Villa need intellect, physicality and nous. This is not a transfer thread, it is simply my analysis as to why we are easier to beat, particularly more recently.   There is a lack of leadership and experience too. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:10:47 AM by Newby »

Offline GarTomas

Re: The midfielders
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »
I think with Luiz and Nakamba they need time to adapt and develop into this league.  The last time we were here Gueye was signed and though he was very up and down in the season for us went onto be a very good player.

The fine line we’ve taken with our transfer approach is we’ve gone all in under the potential route with the exception of Heaton and Mings to an extent so there are going to be periods especially when we’re in a bad run they don’t look up to it.

I agree on Conor and that Lansbury is not going to make the grade at this level.  A lot of teams seem to have a physically strong Viera type player who we certainly are lacking at the moment.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »
Nakamba got battered off the ball like a rag doll a couple of times against Norwich; he looked like a little Action Man. I'm not seeing any opposition-flummoxing ball-skills which would compensate for his 5' 10" and 71kg frame.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 09:56:52 AM »
We needed an absolute bastard in midfield and we bought two Nigel reo cokers.

With SJM and jack we had the continuity and box to box running we just needed someone to release them forward.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:08:12 AM by themossman »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 12:59:12 AM »
Basically need a player who controls the play and the ball . Like Smith I'm not for these absolute brute force types who go round doing exactly what we don't like against grealish. Especially moving forward into 2020 and the way Deano philosophy is.
However I get some want a destroyer type.

Really it's a player who is cultured and can play from deep . Who can pass and build attacks as well as tackle.
Esrin Konsa could really be a stand out holding type midfielder and can step back into defence when needed .
The main issue is the space that's being afforded as well as the loose play with the ball .
The lack of possession and affording the ball so much doesn't allow for midfield dominance.
But perhaps Konsa is someone who could be tried in middle

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »
What I am suggesting is purchasing two players who compliment each other, a partnership.  We had Jack and SJM for the Championship but have not created a single partnership for the top division, not even at centre back, due to injury and poor form. The midfielders are all individuals and whilst they may improve individually, what Villa need is a proper partnership.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
I think the biggest issue the midfield is having (and this more or less applies to the whole team as well) is that, as you mention Newby, they are all players that have some very good qualities but also some quite obvious weaknesses. In my opinion, the system that we have predominantly been playing has asked them to do too much and has ended up exposing their weaknesses more often than accentuating their strengths.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »
I find myself surprisingly agreeing with footy on this: I think Konsa could do a great job as the holding MF, in front of Hause, Engels.
The problem with the opening post is that I'm struggling to name any obvious and available purchase-targets: they'd probably have to be either foreign or from the Championship.
But I do agree that Luiz and Nakamba need time, Lansbury is not good enough and Conor is a candidate in MF only when we've sorted out the holding role.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 10:57:59 AM »

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:57:06 AM »
I think with the situation as it is it's best to revert to Grealish in the middle.
Then 2 from McGinn/ Hourihane/ Luiz / Nakamba alongside.

Put Davis wide left , El ghazi wide right and Samatta up top.

3 in the middle 3 up front.
Go out there with some attacking intent

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
Season 21/22
Pretty much there has been a demand by some to have a solid physically imposing type of midfielder brought in a transfer window for a while now. And during all of Smith's Tenure.
I get the view and the likeness for this by those championing a Brutus type defensive midfield player but I just don't see Dean Smith having this sort of player in his team. It's not his way clearly
Something I felt that was needed Vs Watford was a ball player. Someone who can put his foot on the ball and dictate the play.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 10:43:16 AM »

This is a scary thought.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 11:08:35 AM »
Posts from Dec 2019

Nakamba got battered off the ball like a rag doll a couple of times against Norwich; he looked like a little Action Man. I'm not seeing any opposition-flummoxing ball-skills which would compensate for his 5' 10" and 71kg frame.

We needed an absolute bastard in midfield and we bought two Nigel reo cokers.

With SJM and jack we had the continuity and box to box running we just needed someone to release them forward.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 11:25:11 PM »

This is a scary thought.
LJ I also said 3 in the middle 3 up front.
Go out there with some attacking intent!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal