collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:39 PM]

NSWE Investment by LeeS
[Today at 03:29:49 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:28:56 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by caster troy
[Today at 03:18:41 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:17:15 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Ads
[Today at 02:58:01 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 02:52:48 PM]

Snooker by Richard
[Today at 02:13:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Southampton Post Match Thread  (Read 23518 times)

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
Re: Aston Villa v Southampton Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
Ever since the Man United match, when we turned in a very encouraging performance, things have turned pear shaped, so what are main reasons for the massive dip in form, as up to that match our season as a whole suggested we would avoid the drop. Trying to be positive, which is difficult, could it be a confidence thing, which we could put right on Thursday with a win.

We managed to score twice which evened out us managing to concede min 2 goals a game.Overall we played ok up there but still lost a lead , conceded from a cross and allowed them too many chances.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
Ever since the Man United match, when we turned in a very encouraging performance, things have turned pear shaped, so what are main reasons for the massive dip in form, as up to that match our season as a whole suggested we would avoid the drop. Trying to be positive, which is difficult, could it be a confidence thing, which we could put right on Thursday with a win.

We managed to score twice which evened out us managing to concede min 2 goals a game.Overall we played ok up there but still lost a lead , conceded from a cross and allowed them too many chances.
one thing we did show in that game was fight but that has disappeared.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2019, 03:01:28 PM »
Phone out.

Yep, I'm not convinced about his phone.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2019, 03:47:17 PM »
I am not being wise after the event,any of my friends would tell you i said this at the start of the season.To go into a season with just Wesley,Kodjia and Davies was just stupid in my view ..Wesley was unknown and nobody could have predicted just how awful he is.Kodjia was unproved at a higher level and tends to be injury prone and Davies ,well what can you say about him.He does not score goals and is injury prone .When he is injured he stays injured for months .Without a  regular proven goalscorer we are always going to struggle

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
The thing that struck me watching the highlights yesterday was on the second goal whoever it was chasing Long (Engels?) had the exact gait and pace of old custard pants when trying to forlornly to chase Ozil for England Against Germany in 2010.  He looked like he was running through waist high water.  If your intention is to play a high line against pacy strikers, which appears to be the case, you need very quick defenders.  So why the fuck sign someone who runs at the speed of dark?

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2019, 04:52:11 PM »
Look at Sheffield United: chasing down defenders, chasing lost causes, block after block, defenders doing proper defending throwing themselves in front of the ball. players challenging hard for headers, marking their men, and taking their chances, that is why they will stay up comfortably.
Look at Aston Villa: players constantly falling to the floor at the slightest challenge and holding their faces, whingening at the referee, defenders who seem to have no communication with each other, no marking from set pieces, a midfield you can drive a truck through, a centre forward who misses vital chances and cannot hold up the ball, wide players who do not get crosses into the box, overplaying in the wrong areas, a reliance on one player, not a team, serious injuiries to our most aggressive players.
After yesterday I saw Engels disintegrate from a player I thought showed promise into a jibbering wreck of a defender, Hause likewise, Guilkbert had one of the poorest performances I've ever seen, ditto El Ghazzi, Jack tried but he can't do it all, the only player who really looked like he was up for a fight was Luiz.
Smith stood and watched, where is the young tactical manager that was at Brentford? He seems to have assembled a squad of players with no backbone, who cannot comprehend that you can't play unless you win the ball, and if you change it we haven't the type of players re. Sheffield United.
This manager assembled this squad, which we all know is weak, and unless something changes we are going down, with a whimper.
Shane Long FFS terrorised our defence!
I think players like Hutton and even Chester woukld have given him a whack or two, but he and Ings had the freedom of our defence, we conceded on average 25 shots per game...how the frig are we going to win a game like that!!!!
For FFS Smith tighten up our team somehow (ie three at the back, play for some clean sheets to build confidence) or we are doomed to relegation.
Rant over

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2019, 05:12:40 PM »

El Ghazi started that match brilliantly. To me he's the player in the squad that most sums up up. On his day fantastic but so erratic with his performances.

His stats at this level don't look too bad but I've been disappointed with his performances generally this season. This isn't some guy we've dug up from the minor leagues, he played in CL for Ajax.

Mind you I was criticising him this time last year and he stepped up very well in the run in so hopefully he can do the same again.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2019, 05:25:33 PM »
He was shocking against Sheffield Utd and picked again yesterday and as even worse.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »
The Sheffield United comparison is very telling.

I am concerned by the fact so many of our players spend matches jogging around, there seems to be zero intensity, and that's a problem which starts and ends with the manager.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »

I am concerned by the fact so many of our players spend matches jogging around, there seems to be zero intensity, and that's a problem which starts and ends with the manager.
I think if we sigh every time we see the team sheet and the formation the players experiencing something similar.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »

Not the players??

Agree formation etc etc, but even my lads under 10 team take some responsibility for their own performances. Not being in form and lacking confidence is one thing, but being arsed chasing back is another. Take Guilbert, didn’t have a great game, but every time he lost the ball he made every effort to chase back. Targett, El Ghazi, Luiz need a fecking rocket.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »
I think the players bear some responsibility, of course, but if they're regularly turning in such poor performances why does the manager keep picking them?  That's his fault.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »
I think the players bear some responsibility, of course, but if they're regularly turning in such poor performances why does the manager keep picking them?  That's his fault.

And the same bloody formation grrrrrrr

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »

This.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2019, 09:20:18 PM »

This.

Yup. It’s very poor management.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal