collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread  (Read 29262 times)

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
Re: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread
« Reply #255 on: December 09, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
Leicester are a good side but we made it so easy for them. We're a soft touch, too nice and too easy to play against. Even second half, we'd just scored before half time and we should have come out flying and been in their faces.

The lack of belief was a worry, from players and fans. The atmosphere was dreadful and Leicester fans took the piss all game, but you could tell from kick off the backing and belief wasn't there. It was like our relegation season where everyone was sat almost just waiting for them to score and for us to lose. The atmosphere and backing at the Everton game was superb and it was good at times against Liverpool but it's been shit in every other game.

I've backed Wesley and been patient but it's run out, he's shite. He offers us absolutely nothing at the moment; he doesn't win headers, he doesn't hold the ball up, he doesn't run in behind, he doesn't make goals and he never even looks like scoring. Can't remember the last time he even had a chance or shot on target and he's never in the box when he should be.

Agree about being too nice. Far too easy to play through and nowhere near intense enough in closing down when we don’t have ball. We won’t win many games giving teams 20 odd efforts on goal a game.

I get the angst over Wesley but we’ve defended poorly for most of the season and that will more likely relegate us if it carries on.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #256 on: December 09, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »
Vardy is one of my neighbours.

I should've knifed his tyres.

Online TonyD

« Reply #257 on: December 09, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
I only watched the last 35 mins or so but Wes is comical.   He looks like a person dragged off the street who not only has never played a game a football but also has never watched a game.

Brazilian football must be in deep deep shit.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #258 on: December 09, 2019, 04:18:55 PM »
I've only watched a 5 minute highlight reel but first half it looked fairly even in terms of attacking play,  with the main difference being Leicester's final balls were incisive and dangerous whereas ours were largely misplaced or easily blocked.  The first part of the second half didn't look too bad either but then it became like shots-in to Leicester with us looking all over the shop. 

Not too concerned at getting turned over by a very very good side, more so about the continuing bad habits like ceding possession too easily,  basic individual defensive errors and poor final balls, which seem to be getting worse rather than better.   We need to work a lot harder without the ball too.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #259 on: December 09, 2019, 04:25:07 PM »
Yes, a lot of the problem for me yesterday was the midfield 3 including Super John constantly misplacing passes and giving the ball away, it was like the first half of the Wolves game. It simply gave too much of the ball to them, not a good idea.

As for watching only the last 35 mins, most of them had given up at that point so i wouldn't judge any individual player, particularly a striker, just on that. Had you watched the whole game though you would have seen that Wesley did indeed have a shite game over the course, but he wasn't alone.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #260 on: December 09, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »
Vardy is one of my neighbours.

I should've knifed his tyres.

There's still time !

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #261 on: December 09, 2019, 09:34:42 PM »
Very strange team selection. No Connor, who's been one of our better players. Started Wesley who just looks lost but dropped Trez who scored at Chelsea in the week. Baffling.

Connor was anonymous against Chelsea till he was subbed, when we started to look better. Trez scored but was anonymous until then and mostly after. Wesley, if there was a viable alternative I'd probably agree, but there isn't. Certainly not Kodjia.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #262 on: December 10, 2019, 08:01:41 AM »
Very strange team selection. No Connor, who's been one of our better players. Started Wesley who just looks lost but dropped Trez who scored at Chelsea in the week. Baffling.

Connor was anonymous against Chelsea till he was subbed, when we started to look better. Trez scored but was anonymous until then and mostly after. Wesley, if there was a viable alternative I'd probably agree, but there isn't. Certainly not Kodjia.

Agree with you there
I’d play that young lad that Legion knows before Kodjia maybe not the whole game but let’s see what he can do

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #263 on: December 10, 2019, 05:31:34 PM »

Agree with you there
I’d play that young lad that Legion knows before Kodjia maybe not the whole game but let’s see what he can do
I hate to knock the current regime as i think we're blessed to have them but........
Leaving us with one untried striker and two others with a dodgy fitness record to say the least was borderline reckless. Reminiscent of Potato Heads bizzare dereliction of duty regarding centre halfs or lack of them at the start of the 18/19 season.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #264 on: December 10, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »

Agree with you there
I hate to knock the current regime as i think we're blessed to have them but........
Leaving us with one untried striker and two others with a dodgy fitness record to say the least was borderline reckless. Reminiscent of Potato Heads bizzare dereliction of duty regarding centre halfs or lack of them at the start of the 18/19 season.

I think it’s only about 7 teams who have scored more than us this season, which for a recently promoted club is not a bad achievement. So is that really where our problems are or is it just the standard one of a recently assembled team with a number of players new to both the league and the country showing inevitable inconsistency?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #265 on: December 10, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »

Agree with you there

I think it’s only about 7 teams who have scored more than us this season, which for a recently promoted club is not a bad achievement. So is that really where our problems are or is it just the standard one of a recently assembled team with a number of players new to both the league and the country showing inevitable inconsistency?

Given that we aren't keeping goals out, we need to score more. Wesley was poorly scouted for the role he is being asked to perform. I don't think that's open to question is it?

No idea why we held onto Kodjia in the summer either as Smith clearly doesn't rate him. Should have let him go surely, as we did with BB and AA, and got in a loan signing even as competition or to have the option to switch to two up top on occasion.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »

Agree with you there

Fair point about only 7 teams scoring more than us. But with a more potent strike force we could be sitting somewhere near top ten instead of nervously looking over our shoulders only out of the relegation zone on, well, goal difference. I have every confidence that this situation will be put right in January.

Offline danno

« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
If only seven teams have scored more than us, doesn't that point to our defending also being a wee bit... well crap?

Offline Confusious says

« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2019, 08:39:02 PM »
As a thought that the day was also about the Villa life of Ron Saunders & our condolences and thanks to our most successful manager. What do you think he would say or do after that performance against Leicester. I think the 2nd half showing where it was clear we dropped heads & were outplayed, there wouldn’t be many of our players relishing returning to our dressing room or even training

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2019, 10:17:28 PM »
If only seven teams have scored more than us, doesn't that point to our defending also being a wee bit... well crap?
It certainly says we are crap at not conceding from winning positions.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal