collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread  (Read 29255 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2019, 09:39:01 AM »
We were fairly competitive in the first half but they were always the better team. At the start of the second half we had a go but they scored on the break with what seemed like their first attack and from then on it was easy for them. I don’t think, keeper aside, anyone had a good game but even at our best we would have struggled against them, they are a seriously good side.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
It was a tough day for us yesterday. Outclassed by Leicester. Also their pace was too much. Their No14 and No21 constantly nicked the ball off our midfield which allowed them to set up Vardy. Their fans sung gloatingly all match while we had very little to cheer about. That was stomach churning to witness. As for Vardy what an annoying little prick. If ever a player needed a blood and thunder tackle it was him. All in all a bad day at the office. Roll on January when a couple of things can be addressed. A new striker or even 2 is paramount. And better full back cover than Elmo and Taylor is also a priority.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:10:58 AM by The Edge »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
Vardy showed what an effect a pacy striker can have.  Even if you ignore his goals, he pulled our defence all over the place and out of position.  Compare that with Wesley who spends most of the game mooching about doing very little in the no man's land between midfield and the opposition penalty area.

Offline cdward

« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
This was our first real tonking of the season. We have put in good performances against the top teams so far this season, this was the exception.
One way to get back in a game against these top teams is through a set piece. Why is it our corners never ended up in even an attempt on goal, and they made it look easy to score from a corner. Watching that corner again Engels runs into no mans land, following neither the ball or a man.
So many areas for improvement, but for me we definitely need to work on set pieces, both attacking and defensively.
We were outplayed by the better team.
Let's learn and move on.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #244 on: December 09, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
This was our first real tonking of the season. We have put in good performances against the top teams so far this season, this was the exception.
One way to get back in a game against these top teams is through a set piece. Why is it our corners never ended up in even an attempt on goal, and they made it look easy to score from a corner. Watching that corner again Engels runs into no mans land, following neither the ball or a man.
So many areas for improvement, but for me we definitely need to work on set pieces, both attacking and defensively.
We were outplayed by the better team.
Let's learn and move on.

We were outclassed by Chelsea as well, who probably should have scored 5 or 6.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #245 on: December 09, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »
All this 'we need an interview' nonsense is such a silly idea. Talk about trying to make more of a drama out of things.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #246 on: December 09, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »
Disappointed with yesterday Leicester were a good side you can see why they are second in the league.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
Out of interest, I've not seen it mentioned on here but I wonder why our two penalty claims towards the end did not go to VAR. They were quick enough checking our goal.
I think one of them did (Ricardo on Jack) but it was cleared almost instantly.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #248 on: December 09, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »
Out of interest, I've not seen it mentioned on here but I wonder why our two penalty claims towards the end did not go to VAR. They were quick enough checking our goal.
I think one of them did (Ricardo on Jack) but it was cleared almost instantly.

Yep. The Ref signalled to the players that it had been reviewed

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #249 on: December 09, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
Very strange team selection. No Connor, who's been one of our better players. Started Wesley who just looks lost but dropped Trez who scored at Chelsea in the week. Baffling.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #250 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
Vardy showed what an effect a pacy striker can have.  Even if you ignore his goals, he pulled our defence all over the place and out of position.  Compare that with Wesley who spends most of the game mooching about doing very little in the no man's land between midfield and the opposition penalty area.

He’s a vile rat faced little ****** but he’s some striker, especially considering his background. He actually looked the best I’ve ever seen him yesterday. His whole game was spot on and he was a massive pain in the arse for our defenders.

As a whole, I’m a little more in the Leicester were extremely good camp than the we were utter shit camp. I think a lot of these players we’ve bought can go on to be good PL players but I don’t think they’ll ever get to the level the Leicester players were. They’re a proper team as well, we’re still finding our feet as a team but we will improve. They also have a top manager there and although I rate Smith and think some of the comments on here about him are laughably stupid, again I don’t think he’ll ever be as good as Rogers.
It’s absolutely vital that we get 6-7 points from the next four, my faith in them might get a bit strained if we end up well short of that.

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #251 on: December 09, 2019, 01:57:58 PM »
Not sure why people are clutching their pearls over Vardy's celebration.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #252 on: December 09, 2019, 02:05:53 PM »

It was a largely pathetic performance IMHO.

Obviously Leicester are miles ahead of us at the moment, so the scoreline wasn't a huge surprise. But our meek, spineless performance was.

We certainly had opportunities in the game, but a combination of bad play and players bottling the chance to shoot and take responsibility was a big worry for me. And for the first time in a long time, i didn't sense a strong sense of togetherness on the pitch.

And a big shout out to Jack, McGinn and Trez for embarassing dives.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #253 on: December 09, 2019, 02:17:31 PM »
Not sure why people are clutching their pearls over Vardy's celebration.
I wish he played for us.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #254 on: December 09, 2019, 02:33:46 PM »
Leicester are a good side but we made it so easy for them. We're a soft touch, too nice and too easy to play against. Even second half, we'd just scored before half time and we should have come out flying and been in their faces.

The lack of belief was a worry, from players and fans. The atmosphere was dreadful and Leicester fans took the piss all game, but you could tell from kick off the backing and belief wasn't there. It was like our relegation season where everyone was sat almost just waiting for them to score and for us to lose. The atmosphere and backing at the Everton game was superb and it was good at times against Liverpool but it's been shit in every other game.

I've backed Wesley and been patient but it's run out, he's shite. He offers us absolutely nothing at the moment; he doesn't win headers, he doesn't hold the ball up, he doesn't run in behind, he doesn't make goals and he never even looks like scoring. Can't remember the last time he even had a chance or shot on target and he's never in the box when he should be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal