collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread  (Read 29269 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2019, 11:50:54 PM »
A really, really disappointing day. An awful game and a flat tyre on the way home so I’m not in a great mood.

Too many players below par today resulting in an awful performance. A few random points:

Mings should have gone off as soon as his hamstring went. Early on he also gave Leicester a chance by failing to clear at left back.
Our midfield is lightweight defensively. Leicester hunted us down and we were too slow to move the ball on
Our crosses often fail to beat the first man and we cannot just rely on Hourihane to play a dangerous ball, others need to improve their delivery
Our wingers don’t work hard enough. I saw both El Ghazi and Trezeguet ( even though he only played 30 minutes)  ambling back whilst their opponents were hurtling towards our half / goal. Contrast with the incredible work ethic and desire of Leicester
Teams that stop us playing from the back know we have to pass back to Heaton for a hoof. I estimate we win 1 in 5-6 of these and surrender possession
McGinn  is a shadow of himself. Looks like he needs a rest.
Leicester are a top class team. They were faster, better organised and more creative than us. One who impressed me was Chilwell. Wasn’t too sure of him but he was excellent defensively and going forward. He won every header against AEG despite Anwar looking taller.
Maddison did to us what Jack often does - looked for goals and got them.
Vardy reminds me of Ian Rush - chases everything, hassles defenders, great pace and a deadly finisher

Like I said, a shit day

Offline FatSam

« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2019, 11:51:29 PM »
Yes, £100m doesn’t get you very much these days. We had to spend that money just to plug the gaps and re-balance our squad.

Wesley feels like he isn’t justifying his price tag, but Leicester spent £27m on a striker three years ago, who only managed 8 goals in 35 EPL games over 2 seasons for them. They also spent £17m on a striker at the same time who only managed 2 in 21.

Clubs who have been in the division whilst we weren’t (with a few notable exceptions) have spent enormous amounts of money.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2019, 11:54:21 PM »
‘Fans’. Lol.

Ha ha yeah!

I remember all those great teams across the world winning trophies left right and centre because ‘fans’ pulled together. ‘Fans’ pulling together never won anything.

Sorry for using the term but glad I amused you. ‘Supporters’, ‘unrealistic moaning negative gits’ whatever suits instead of fans then. The idea that people watching inside the stadium can’t have a positive or negative influence on the team is bizarre. I don’t care if you’ve been going to villa park for 5 mins or 50 years, if you believe none of us helped villa over the line last season then I’m not sure why you bother going if you do go.

In that case, you’ve all been responsible for the disasters over the seasons.

Works both ways.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2019, 01:41:21 AM »
This was always going to be a very difficult game, but regardless I expect every player to play like a professional Premier League player not the old, fat bloke from the pub team. Heaton is the only one to come out of that with any credibility (including the management). It was men vs boys. Not good enough.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #229 on: December 09, 2019, 01:54:03 AM »
I remember all those great teams across the world winning trophies left right and centre because ‘fans’ pulled together. ‘Fans’ pulling together never won anything.

Absolutely.

How incredibly pompous must someone be to think a club's success was ever directly attributable to an action on their part?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2019, 03:05:10 AM »
It was the sloppy passing that got me pissed off, even Jack was guilty a few times we bring it out of defence then give the ball straight back to them.
There are many examples of clubs spending huge amounts for players that are not up to standard and twenty million is not over the top, that shouldn't stop us from recognising that the player is not going to work out and get another player in.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #231 on: December 09, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »
I wasn't hopeful of too much before the game but the third goal killed any hopes we had after we got ourselves back in it and it should have been more than four. Grealish and Heaton were our best two and McGinn as much as he tried definately needs a breather.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #232 on: December 09, 2019, 06:49:27 AM »
Played one of the best and established Premier League sides and got a tonking today for sure with below par performances all over the place.
But I’d be far more worried if we get a performance like that on Boxing Day against let’s face it a more comparable level of opposition.
This season I think the reality is that we’re  competing against the bottom half of this league this season.
Not the top half.

Agree, how many of the Villa team would get in the Leicester team? Leicester have now won eight on the trot because they are a bloody good team. If we were putting in performances like that against the likes of Southampton then I would be worried.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #233 on: December 09, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »

Absolutely.

How incredibly pompous must someone be to think a club's success was ever directly attributable to an action on their part?

I don’t think I’ve said at any time that the clubs success was directly attributable to me as an individual or any other fan (if I’m allowed to use that word). What I’ve said in response to other criticism, is to say or think the supporters in the ground don’t have an influence is bizarre. Maybe I didn’t explain myself well enough, but I mean an influence both positively or negatively. Like a lot of you I’ve been down a toxic villa park and whilst that was caused by players performances and the running of the club, the atsmophere added to everything. Likewise how anyone at the Everton game can say the crowd didn’t help to give the players an extra yard.

My general point was and one that has been lost with a few having a go, is despite some poor results and at times some poor selections, people calling for smiths head are crazy. And those kind of murmurings does seep out onto the terraces and does start to have an influence around the club.

Offline nigel

« Reply #234 on: December 09, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
Engels did well when he came on. But, we then had two right sided centre backs. Not saying it made much difference.
Thought the midfield were poor and that put pressure on the back and no help up front either

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2019, 07:42:14 AM »
Out of interest, I've not seen it mentioned on here but I wonder why our two penalty claims towards the end did not go to VAR. They were quick enough checking our goal.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #236 on: December 09, 2019, 07:51:45 AM »
Out of interest, I've not seen it mentioned on here but I wonder why our two penalty claims towards the end did not go to VAR. They were quick enough checking our goal.

I think they were Clampy as the goal kicks were held briefly while they checked. I think they sometimes do this without going to the nonsense of announcing it on the screen.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #237 on: December 09, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
A really, really disappointing day. An awful game and a flat tyre on the way home so I’m not in a great mood.

Too many players below par today resulting in an awful performance. A few random points:

Mings should have gone off as soon as his hamstring went. Early on he also gave Leicester a chance by failing to clear at left back.
Our midfield is lightweight defensively. Leicester hunted us down and we were too slow to move the ball on
Our crosses often fail to beat the first man and we cannot just rely on Hourihane to play a dangerous ball, others need to improve their delivery
Our wingers don’t work hard enough. I saw both El Ghazi and Trezeguet ( even though he only played 30 minutes)  ambling back whilst their opponents were hurtling towards our half / goal. Contrast with the incredible work ethic and desire of Leicester
Teams that stop us playing from the back know we have to pass back to Heaton for a hoof. I estimate we win 1 in 5-6 of these and surrender possession
McGinn  is a shadow of himself. Looks like he needs a rest.
Leicester are a top class team. They were faster, better organised and more creative than us. One who impressed me was Chilwell. Wasn’t too sure of him but he was excellent defensively and going forward. He won every header against AEG despite Anwar looking taller.
Maddison did to us what Jack often does - looked for goals and got them.
Vardy reminds me of Ian Rush - chases everything, hassles defenders, great pace and a deadly finisher

Like I said, a shit day
Got to agree with loads of this.
This is a barmy League though as I’m sure Newcastle fans felt the same after they played us and look how it’s gone for them since their no show against us?

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »
Not good enough yesterday from team selection and tactics through to the players. Engels and Guilbert should have started. Our "big" players all had an off day. Mings even before his injury looked like he would rather have been elsewhere than up against Vardy and company. McGinn was ineffective. You can always tell how well he's doing by the number of times his song is sung. Yesterday I didn't hear it once. Where has his high energy hassling style of play gone? With the way our midfield was set up  there was no-one to interchange with Jack, so for large spells he was stuck out on the left wing having little impact. There were too many sloppy passes from him and on occasions he was too slow releasing the ball. For his own good Wesley needs a break. We are at the stage now that any confidence he may have will shatter completely unless he's taken out of the firing line. It was the club's decision to go with Wes, Davis and Kodjia at the outset of the season. Until the transfer window all 3 of these need to be used. With Davis out injured that means Kodjia needs to be given a chance.
Newcastle came on a crest of a way and are on one since, but we played to our strengths at home and beat them comprehensively. Leicester are on a crest of a wave but we gave in way too easily to them and played to their strengths. Accepting that they are a good team why should so much have changed for us from one home match to another?
What was that Vardy celebration all about? If it was to prove what a tw-t he is, then he succeeded!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2019, 09:01:46 AM »
not many teams got much out of Leicester just lately

I honestly don’t think we were as bad as people are making out
I was far more disappointed in our bottling job performances when we have been in good positions and thrown it away

the next few games are where the season will be defined

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal