collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread  (Read 29247 times)

Offline itmustbe_it is!

Re: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »
Cue lots of posts about how we'd be lucky to have him, blah blah...

But Jamie Vardy has a face I'd never get tired of punching

I wasn’t keen on the chants about his missus, though.

He brought that on himself by being a c**t after scoring the first

Wasn't at the game, but I'd assumed his 'cupped ears' celebration was the result of stick he'd been taking before then?

Not that I heard. It was because he miskicked and it looked like he'd missed the chance at first I think. But he's still a twat.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2019, 07:11:29 PM »
Leicester City have over last 4 seasons rebuilt half their team but they did it from the incredible positon of being league winners and then CL quarter finalists.

It's a little different doing it from position of play off winners.

We would have to make 4-5 top class signings in next two seasons to be even close to that level by end of 21-22 season. I await to being pleasantly surprised but simply don't see it with the strategy we have.

Certainly the ownership and management structure will be tested now. The easy part was actually getting out of the championship.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »
Vardy is king of the chavs. Great striker, awful wanker.

Thought it was Maddison who cupped his ears at the fans though as we were giving him grief as he came over to take the corner that they inevitably scored from.

Maybe they were both at it. Of Vardy and Maddison I'd honestly rather see the latter get his arse handed to him, he was a maggot all day today.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2019, 07:15:39 PM »
Leicester City have over last 4 seasons rebuilt half their team but they did it from the incredible positon of being league winners and then CL quarter finalists.

It's a little different doing it from position of play off winners.

We would have to make 4-5 top class signings in next two seasons to be even close to that level by end of 21-22 season. I await to being pleasantly surprised but simply don't see it with the strategy we have.

Certainly the ownership and management structure will be tested now. The easy part was actually getting out of the championship.

They won the league 12 months after very narrowly avoiding the drop. Having rebuilt their squad.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2019, 07:17:53 PM »
Vardy is king of the chavs. Great striker, awful wanker.

Thought it was Maddison who cupped his ears at the fans though as we were giving him grief as he came over to take the corner that they inevitably scored from.

Maybe they were both at it. Of Vardy and Maddison I'd honestly rather see the latter get his arse handed to him, he was a maggot all day today.

Yeah they both did it. Vardy stood in the net in front of the Holte and cupped his juggy ears. Twat.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »
He's some player though.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
He's superb, playing a high line against him was as fucking stupid as playing a high line against Arsenal in the FA Cup Final.

Offline Stretford Villa

« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2019, 07:26:27 PM »
Can everyone take stock before conceding relegation in early December. We've been soundly beaten by one of the best sides in the country if not Europe at the moment.

Had a really bad run of fixtures, and if anyone thinks we WEREN'T going to be in a relegation battle after coming up through the playoffs, you're having yourself on. We've looked good in all but one of the games against teams we are ACTUALLY competing with this season.

That doesn't mean there haven't been poor mistakes from players and management today - but can we get a bit realistic
Sorry mate, but this is blind optimism. We’ve played almost all of the other sides in the league, spent the GDP of a small country, and are hovering around the bottom three.
I’d be optimistic and a little more patience if I could see at least small improvements in performance, team selection and subs, but frankly, we’re not. If anything we’re going backwards.
Being plucky underdogs will not keep us up. Smith and the players need a rocket. And fast.

It is literally the opposite of blind optimism. And also the opposite of the sensationalism you see on here in comparison to this time last weekend when everyone was "Oh look how far we've come in a year".

Our last six games. City-Liverpool-Newcastle-United-Chelsea-Leicester.

In four of them, we have been beaten by teams, that in our current position, we cannot possibly define our season on. 4 points from 18 is about what anyone with even remote knowledge of the gap between top and bottom in this league would have confidently predicted us picking up !

We have spent 100m in a few months - Leicester have been rebuilding this team over three years ever since they won the title. £100m and we're just about able to keep our heads above water this season.

It doesn't excuse the mistakes of only having a 22 year-old with no PL experience as your only striker. Or Mings trying to "run off" a hamstring... But if we want to stay up, the players and management are going to have to be pragmatic and have perspective - and make sure we get the points we need in the next five games, which are all eminently winnable.

Keano I agree with everything you’ve said above and these are literally some of the only sensible comments made on here. We got battered today by the only team capable of stopping Liverpool this season. They may only be Leicester but they won the league 3 years ago and whilst we have be in the championship they have got to the QFs of the champions league and been regulars in top ten or above in the league.

Saying all that some poor selections today and performances, but some ‘fans’ on here who I’m not always convinced go to games, calling for Smiths head are just f**king stupid. How’s that helped Watford this season or Everton, Fulham and countless others in recent years. What our club needs is stability and for all fans to pull together. 10 months ago we were a bang average mid table championship side, the best run we’ve ever had got us up and we had to buy a new team. If anyone on here thinks ending the season 1 point above relegation isn’t a success this year, they seriously don’t know anything about football. The players need VP rocking over xmas

This.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2019, 07:26:29 PM »
He's some player though.

Great player. Knobhead of a man. He didn't get any stick at all before he scored, yet still acted the prick.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
Just how crap was Targett again today.  He's one of the slowest players I've seen at Villa, and watching him chasing after their forwards in vain was a really sad sight.  Another dud it would appear.

I said at the time and certainly while watching him in pre-season that it was a really odd signing. He’s not quick, he’s good no better than that going forward. He’s decent defending, and yet given what kinds of players we all thought Dean Smith liked, Targett just didn’t fit the mould. Yet we lashed out £14m on him. With Guilbert on one side I’d have thought we would have got someone of that type for LB. Yet alarmingly to start the season he couldn’t beat out Neil Taylor FFS

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2019, 07:32:08 PM »
‘Fans’. Lol.

Offline 260475

« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2019, 07:33:40 PM »
Like others' comments I thought we were v poor today, and one could see how good Leicester are. At least they are keeping Liverpool in range (just). Wesley couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Luiz had 3 shot opps in the first half and each time fluffed a fancy pass, was easily dispossessed more than once. Grealish looks like he is playing 5 a side on a Friday night, protests everything like a kid - even his own missed passes, doesn't direct any of his team mates re position or effort, never a captain and burdened by it. Accordingly we seem lost in every department, looking like a championship side on a PL excursion. Not 'worried' as I still enjoy it, but these things are self regulating if not corrected.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2019, 07:44:19 PM »
That was rubbish, don’t mind getting beat, but like Wolves away we did not compete. Our 11 on their day can give anyone a game, but if anyone is not on it we look lost, our squad is not good enough and we need at least a striker in January. Dean needs to get hold of this quickly. On a side note the bloke in front of me booing Marc when he came on why?? Marc didn’t do anything wrong, we didn’t offer him a contact. Back to the game not good enough.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2019, 07:47:44 PM »
Just back. Not read the thread yet.

Leicester were superb, fast strong and very well drilled. Difficult to say if they were better than Liverpool as we made so many unforced mistakes today all over the pitch in all areas.

Once I knew we were going to lose, within a few minutes, it was interesting to watch how they set up to dominate us, push the full backs right up and control the game wherever the ball is.

A few positives, Jack was still the best player on pitch, with the right investment in the right players at the right time, that could be us

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2019, 07:49:35 PM »
I think Albrighton got a decent enough round of applause when he came on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal