collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread  (Read 29321 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Aston Villa v Leicester Post Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2019, 04:57:04 PM »
Can't really see Smith getting another striker in order to drop our record signing that he signed.

He is far more likely to get sacked if he actually had that mindset.

Wes should've been signed as more of a back up and learn the premier league that way. I really don't think we're doing his confidence any favours by continually starting him when he's struggling. Even Benteke had the odd time when he lost form and we put him on the bench to get him going again.

The transfer fee is irrelevant given mid table prem teams sign strikers for 30-40m. 22m isn't really that much anymore when you consider we were signing likes of Hogan, Kodj and McCormack for 12-15m in the championship.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »
There must be a striker in our reserves?

Apart from Kodjia, you mean? There is. Cameron Archer. 17 years old but apart from his excellent cameo appearance and performance against Crewe in the Carabao Cup, he is largely untested at this level. Then again, he can hardly be worse than Wes and would probably offer more.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2019, 05:01:48 PM »
Very disappointed!

Offline The_ads

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2019, 05:02:35 PM »
Whoever signed Wesley, whether that he Suso, Smith or both need sectioning. He is quite possibly the worst centre forward I’ve seen down there in 30 years of going. Even if you take the price tag out of it; he offers precisely zero. He couldn’t trap a bag of cement. We will sleep walk towards relegation without significant investment in attacking areas.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2019, 05:07:32 PM »
That was piss poor.

Word team selection, poor performances all round.

Of particular note: Targett bombing forward then strolling back into the space we vacated for them. Mings and Konsa both frighteningly bad. Wesley jogging around putting zero effort in. McGinn looks dead on his feet. Luiz loses the ball way too much.

Leicester are excellent but they just put four past us whilst barely getting out of third gear.

No signings in January = relegation, I’m afraid.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
3 key moments the match
-El Ghazi miss
-Keeping Mings on when it was clear he needed to go off
-Giving Evans the freedom of Villa Park to score.
Leicester are a good team but we really need to wise up quickly. Wesley was awful but it's unfair to blame one person. Super John needs a rest and Jack hopefully won't play that poorly again.
Christmas is going to be absolutely crucial and they desperately need our support.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
Can everyone take stock before conceding relegation in early December. We've been soundly beaten by one of the best sides in the country if not Europe at the moment.

Had a really bad run of fixtures, and if anyone thinks we WEREN'T going to be in a relegation battle after coming up through the playoffs, you're having yourself on. We've looked good in all but one of the games against teams we are ACTUALLY competing with this season.

That doesn't mean there haven't been poor mistakes from players and management today - but can we get a bit realistic
Sorry mate, but this is blind optimism. We’ve played almost all of the other sides in the league, spent the GDP of a small country, and are hovering around the bottom three.
I’d be optimistic and a little more patience if I could see at least small improvements in performance, team selection and subs, but frankly, we’re not. If anything we’re going backwards.
Being plucky underdogs will not keep us up. Smith and the players need a rocket. And fast.

It is literally the opposite of blind optimism. And also the opposite of the sensationalism you see on here in comparison to this time last weekend when everyone was "Oh look how far we've come in a year".

Our last six games. City-Liverpool-Newcastle-United-Chelsea-Leicester.

In four of them, we have been beaten by teams, that in our current position, we cannot possibly define our season on. 4 points from 18 is about what anyone with even remote knowledge of the gap between top and bottom in this league would have confidently predicted us picking up !

We have spent 100m in a few months - Leicester have been rebuilding this team over three years ever since they won the title. £100m and we're just about able to keep our heads above water this season.

It doesn't excuse the mistakes of only having a 22 year-old with no PL experience as your only striker. Or Mings trying to "run off" a hamstring... But if we want to stay up, the players and management are going to have to be pragmatic and have perspective - and make sure we get the points we need in the next five games, which are all eminently winnable.

Keano I agree with everything you’ve said above and these are literally some of the only sensible comments made on here. We got battered today by the only team capable of stopping Liverpool this season. They may only be Leicester but they won the league 3 years ago and whilst we have be in the championship they have got to the QFs of the champions league and been regulars in top ten or above in the league.

Saying all that some poor selections today and performances, but some ‘fans’ on here who I’m not always convinced go to games, calling for Smiths head are just f**king stupid. How’s that helped Watford this season or Everton, Fulham and countless others in recent years. What our club needs is stability and for all fans to pull together. 10 months ago we were a bang average mid table championship side, the best run we’ve ever had got us up and we had to buy a new team. If anyone on here thinks ending the season 1 point above relegation isn’t a success this year, they seriously don’t know anything about football. The players need VP rocking over xmas

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2019, 05:11:14 PM »

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
Sort the defensive and striking problems quickly or our stay in the prem will be a short and very expensive one. Probably better add the midfield to that as well. Deano has to start earning that nice, fat new contract.

Offline murgsy

« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
I can't see the owners willing to gamble the future by keeping DS if this continues. We are blinded by the romantic 'he's one of us' attitude. While I agree that he might not have made the signings - some of his selection and the lack of response in front of him is a la Bruce. Have we honestly witnessed any spark of genius in his tactics? Has he improved any player? How can JT coach our defence, when it looks like we will concede any moment? Maybe it's early days but I fear that if the January window goes by with no changes and DS is trully 'found out' as a Championship manager....it might just be too late. Unless we are kept up by worse teams below us....

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »
Mings staying on potentially cost us the match Wesley gets worse by the week, McGinn again fails to show and jack was badly found out

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2019, 05:20:46 PM »
Wesley will play in the next game. What does Kodjia need to do to at least be given a chance? That was simply dreadful and massive dumping on our fragile confidence and on our reasonable goal difference.

I’m fairness to Wesley he got absolutely nothing as well. They were all rubbish today.

Absolutely nothing? Apart from that delightful ball whipped into him in the second half that just needed a tap in but like usual he was nowhere near it. Any other striker apart from this donkey scores.

Offline russon

« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2019, 05:23:00 PM »
3 key moments the match
-El Ghazi miss
-Keeping Mings on when it was clear he needed to go off
-Giving Evans the freedom of Villa Park to score.
Leicester are a good team but we really need to wise up quickly. Wesley was awful but it's unfair to blame one person. Super John needs a rest and Jack hopefully won't play that poorly again.
Christmas is going to be absolutely crucial and they desperately need our support.
This, this, this and this.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »
I forgot about Heaton. He deserves a mention.

Heaton might end up being the signing of the season, excellent keeper.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2019, 05:25:07 PM »
Wesley will play in the next game. What does Kodjia need to do to at least be given a chance? That was simply dreadful and massive dumping on our fragile confidence and on our reasonable goal difference.

I’m fairness to Wesley he got absolutely nothing as well. They were all rubbish today.

Absolutely nothing? Apart from that delightful ball whipped into him in the second half that just needed a tap in but like usual he was nowhere near it. Any other striker apart from this donkey scores.

He’s reactive instead of proactive. On the other end of the spectrum is Vardy.. who we all witnessed today is ready to flip the script on a game at any moment. JT should make a phone call to Drogba and see if he can tutor Wesley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal