collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Digbeth Dining Club  (Read 5246 times)

Offline frank black

Re: Digbeth Dining Club
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
Not suited to an environment when so many turn up in a short space of time. Gave up on the wait

I was there from 6 and was for people turning up earlier so they could get some good food, listen to some music and have a beer or 2 rather than just sitting in the cold. I think it's a great idea.

Perhaps, but the majority will be turning up in the hour before kick off. The queues blocked the whole of the pathway, I don’t think they will have it there again. The little shacks just couldn’t cater quickly for the numbers. Shame as the music and different grub is a great thing.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 04:52:43 PM »
Not suited to an environment when so many turn up in a short space of time. Gave up on the wait

I was there from 6 and was for people turning up earlier so they could get some good food, listen to some music and have a beer or 2 rather than just sitting in the cold. I think it's a great idea.

Perhaps, but the majority will be turning up in the hour before kick off. The queues blocked the whole of the pathway, I don’t think they will have it there again. The little shacks just couldn’t cater quickly for the numbers. Shame as the music and different grub is a great thing.

It was the first attempt, I suspect they'll keep trying to work out a good way to handle it because it's good for everyone to have something like this in place.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
It’d probably work better on a weekend 3pm or teatime kick off when the spread of people’s arrival times is usually greater.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 08:45:33 PM »

A bit like going to the pub!

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »
Me and a mate have been saying for years they need to get rid of the car parking behind the Holte End and convert it into a giant fanzone with stuff like DDC and a few more bars and eateries. I realise the biggest issue is licensing but surely as it’s well contained with walls/gates etc it could be managed.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »
Me and a mate have been saying for years they need to get rid of the car parking behind the Holte End and convert it into a giant fanzone with stuff like DDC and a few more bars and eateries. I realise the biggest issue is licensing but surely as it’s well contained with walls/gates etc it could be managed.
Where does the car parking go?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 09:42:48 AM »

To be honest who gives a shit, Get public transport or park elsewhere. However if it’s for the disabled or people with mobility issues then the club need to make alternative provision.

Inconveniencing a few people who want to be able to park within 3 feet of their turnstile for me is a price worth paying but if the club decide not then so be it.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 09:50:04 AM »

To be honest who gives a shit, Get public transport or park elsewhere. However if it’s for the disabled or people with mobility issues then the club need to make alternative provision.

Inconveniencing a few people who want to be able to park within 3 feet of their turnstile for me is a price worth paying but if the club decide not then so be it.
Can't argue with your logic and that car park would be ideal for a fanzone.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 09:53:21 AM »
This is all part of how attending football is changing. I loved being in the pub until the last possible minute in the old days, meeting up with your mates, scoffing a hairy cob then out into the cold.

The paucity of pubs around the ground has changed that somewhat, forcing people to drink away from the ground or arrive early and things like the DDC can be a part of the latter. We took advantage of the cheap (and nasty) beer prices before the West Ham game and it wasn't too bad but a cold, concrete concourse can't compete with the atmosphere of a proper boozer for me.

With the development of the ground hopefully this will taken into consideration in terms of space and car parking etc but "Fan Parks" may be the way forward, they just need to rebrand 'cos they sound like forced fun at the moment.

Offline frank black

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 10:07:29 AM »
Feedback from digbeth dining club, Is that they are pleased and will Likely be back with more choice.

Which may spread the queues out

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »

This would have been my argument.
Thank you

Online bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
Only thing I'd add is that certain foods are better suited to serving lots of people quickly and a couple of the vendors at VP on Monday night weren't able to.

If you go to Digbeth Dining Club or any otger street food place, you have a few thousand people over a five or six hour window. Last night they started at 6pm which leaves under two hours for each person to queue, eat and enter the ground.

I joined the queue for some chicken wings at 6:30 and by 7:30 I was still about 12 places back, decided to leave the queue and head into the ground.

The issue here stems from the vendors cooking everything to order, fair enough for wanting everything to be hot, fresh and given the price I respect that, but it's not the most effective way to get people served given it's open for such a comparatively short amount of time.

The Caribbean food stand served plenty of people double quick as everything was ready to go. Would probably be beneficial to have vendors that can meet the demand a little more effectively, but overall an excellent addition to the match day experience.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 07:11:08 PM »

It’s pretty much like that in its normal location. Heaving on Saturday before last. Not so bad Sunday just gone.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2019, 02:51:09 AM »

Under said food park? It would be even easier to build over it but I don’t think we’d want to block site lines. It’s already a bit raised isn’t it?

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »

Under said food park? It would be even easier to build over it but I don’t think we’d want to block site lines. It’s already a bit raised isn’t it?
A monumental task including excavating the whole car park to at least 10 metres! Then tunnels for entrance /exit. Where would you put them? It would be a bonkers thing to do. Ain't gonna happen. Let's just wait and see what they come up with at the other end of the ground. That's where any reevelopment's are going to happen.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal