collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle Post Match Thread  (Read 23013 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2019, 04:38:03 PM »
I actually think that if we keep playing like we did last night, with grealish and AEG more advanced and closer to Wesley, and if Grealish weighs in with more goals, Wesley is very suitable for that formation and under less pressure to chip in with goals.

Offline J

« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
I don't agree. His touch is poor, the ball rarely sticks when it goes up to him and he doesn't know how to time runs to get in behind.

The other players seem a bit reluctant to feed him as well which is a worry so I'd be giving Davis a chance when fit.

I'm not writing Wesley off yet but he has an awful lot of improvements to make if he's to be considered a decent premier league player.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2019, 05:43:34 PM »
I agree about Wesley. He needs to learn to time his runs. El Ghazi showed him how to do it again last night. Wes was on his heels too often when the ball came in.

Time will tell, he's still young. It might take him a season or two to start clicking. The raw material seems to be there. One thing that couldn't be faulted last night was his work rate. He ran his socks off.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2019, 06:26:12 PM »
But he hasn’t been entirely helped by the way we’ve been set up as smith has tried to find a winning combination in midfield.

In our worst performances he’s been completely wasted by the wide players playing too far away from him and sending in crosses that he’s not the slightest bit interested in. He must be one of the worst, most reluctant headers of a ball I’ve seen.

I think his real value is sitting a bit deeper with players buzzing around him. His main attributes are strength, close control under pressure plus he has decent passing over short distances. I don’t think it’s at all true to say nothing sticks to him. Apart from a few games where everything was off I think that is his main strength.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2019, 08:21:37 PM »
If I can't get to our match, one of the best ways to keep in touch with goings on is on that smallheathalliance.com where they have a weekly match thread, for our games.

www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2768833,page=1

Of hilarity here - at one point, one of them mentions we can't stop singing about them, when most of them are incapable of writing so much as a tweet without "SOTV" at the end of it, and talks about us as obsessed by them. As one of them points out (to be fair), on a thread on there, about us.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:23:16 PM by pauliewalnuts »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2019, 10:56:07 PM »
Steve Bruce brought Andy Carroll to use his size and strength to make a nuisance of himself all Andy Carroll did was fall over . He makes Wesley look like Lewandowski.

Chris Samba up front is better than either of them

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #186 on: November 27, 2019, 12:14:56 AM »
In the second half Mings did not go forward for every corner/free kick. At times he did not seem to be moving well, possibly carrying a niggle that is limiting his game?

It's been mentioned a few times during games he's got an ongoing groin issue. Clearly can get through games if in some discomfort at the end of them.

In normal cases he'd have an operation if we're safe by April but that would likely rule him out of euro 2020 and this is his one real chance to start at a major tournament.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2019, 10:13:08 AM »
Good performance and much needed 3 points.

Observations:

We ain’t going down when you have teams like Newcastle in the league – they were dire, really really shit.

Guilbert had a great game..

It’s time to call time on Wesley – the worst Villa striker I’ve seen in over 40 years.

Oh and Jack…well what a difference one man can make to the team.  Legend..

Really?

Paul Kerr? Malcolm Allen? Carlton Cole?

Cascarino and Penrice.
Marlon Fucking Harewood???

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
Steve Bruce brought Andy Carroll to use his size and strength to make a nuisance of himself all Andy Carroll did was fall over . He makes Wesley look like Lewandowski.

Yawn.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2019, 12:01:20 PM »

Do you think about some of the stuff you post?

Chris Samba is a better option up front than Wesley?

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2019, 01:20:48 PM »

Do you think about some of the stuff you post?

Chris Samba is a better option up front than Wesley?

Just ignore him, makes life so much better

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:25 PM »
Ignore who?  ;)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2019, 01:39:02 PM »
Is there a block button, asking for a friend?

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
Is there a block button, asking for a friend?
I found out there is a "Modify profile" "Ingore list" - but that is only preventing PM's

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2019, 02:39:46 PM »
If I can't get to our match, one of the best ways to keep in touch with goings on is on that smallheathalliance.com where they have a weekly match thread, for our games.

www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2768833,page=1

Of hilarity here - at one point, one of them mentions we can't stop singing about them, when most of them are incapable of writing so much as a tweet without "SOTV" at the end of it, and talks about us as obsessed by them. As one of them points out (to be fair), on a thread on there, about us.

So there's a quote on there about a thread on here that's about a thread on there that's about us?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal