collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Newcastle Post Match Thread  (Read 22986 times)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Aston Villa v Newcastle Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2019, 01:24:40 PM »
Good performance and much needed 3 points.

Observations:

We ain’t going down when you have teams like Newcastle in the league – they were dire, really really shit.

Guilbert had a great game..

It’s time to call time on Wesley – the worst Villa striker I’ve seen in over 40 years.

Oh and Jack…well what a difference one man can make to the team.  Legend..

Really?

Paul Kerr? Malcolm Allen? Carlton Cole?

Cascarino and Penrice.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
As I walked from the park to the Villa store I liked the fact there seemed to be more going on: new food outlets and a brass band. There was also the opportunity near the McGregor statue to be photographed with the European and FA cups. Anyone else take up this opportunity? (I'm assuming it was all legitimate).

Yeah, we did. £3 for one person, £5 for two. Although the guy minding them didn't look like he'd stand up to a breeze, let alone anyone trying to do a runner with them.

I don’t think they are official... the guy just had a high vis vest and was on his own. Would be a bit cheap of the club to charge too.

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »
Have to say  how sh1t was almerion and joelinton? Seriously if we had either of those players playing for us I would be very worried.

They were Ali Dia level. Truly awful both of them, Almiron especially. That Saint Maximin guy must find them so frustrating to play alongside.

Both truly atrocious. Also thought Saint Maximin also was a bit of a headless chicken, some good runs but lacking with final ball.

No idea why Bruce made them play with the handbrake on for first 45. They were much better after half time and if they had a go. Sums up why we were right to get rid of him.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »
Last night epitomised a Bruce team. Lacking in imagination, tactics and forward intent.
The calls into Talk Shite last night summed it up when they all wanted him out.

Both of us play Manchester teams at the weekend  - I bet I know which one will set up to try and win.

My only worry is that some of our players the "occasion" might get to them

I fully expect McGinn to have a stormer just to show them what they would like but cannot have

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
Have to say  how sh1t was almerion and joelinton? Seriously if we had either of those players playing for us I would be very worried.

They were Ali Dia level. Truly awful both of them, Almiron especially. That Saint Maximin guy must find them so frustrating to play alongside.

Both truly atrocious. Also thought Saint Maximin also was a bit of a headless chicken, some good runs but lacking with final ball.

No idea why Bruce made them play with the handbrake on for first 45. They were much better after half time and if they had a go. Sums up why we were right to get rid of him.

Smith had him again. They were looking to hit us on the counter first half, and other than 1, maybe 2 opportunities, we didn't play their game. They wanted us to commit bodies en masse in and beyond their back 9, which was what it looked like from the UT, bank of 5, bank of 4. But we weren't to be drawn, and we made that pay off for us. After half time, they had to have a go, they were 2 down. Once that initial charge fruitlessly fizzled out, they had nothing. Reduced to bringing on a has-been and a never-will-be.

They were rubbish.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »
Really pleased with last nights performance everyone played well hope we can play like that every game.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »
Smith had him again. They were looking to hit us on the counter first half, and other than 1, maybe 2 opportunities, we didn't play their game. They wanted us to commit bodies en masse in and beyond their back 9, which was what it looked like from the UT, bank of 5, bank of 4. But we weren't to be drawn, and we made that pay off for us. After half time, they had to have a go, they were 2 down. Once that initial charge fruitlessly fizzled out, they had nothing. Reduced to bringing on a has-been and a never-will-be.

They were rubbish.

Did Gayle touch the ball?  I honestly forgot he'd come on.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:08:27 PM by paul_e »

Offline russon

« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2019, 03:12:56 PM »

They were rubbish.
Thought I was playing bingo with all those numbers! All good points though, and not least your last one, they really were awful.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2019, 03:36:51 PM »
So happy Villa won but even happier with the manner in which we won. When we play in that style and win, there's not much better in life for me.

Regarding Wesley, I thought it was one of his better games for us. Bearing in mind Newcastle had everyone behind the ball, we had all the ball but not that many clear-cut chances, especially not for Wesley. Most of our chances came from midfield.

I appreciated that his running created space for everyone else, he seemed motivated and eager and barring a world-class save he would have scored last night.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
Near the end of the game we broke away with Jack having the ball.  Wesley was free and if Jack had played it to him he would have had a run at goal.  Instead Jack held the ball up and instead passed to McGinn who was square with him.  McGinn took it forward a bit then turned and passed it back to Jack.  Both of them completely never looking to play it to Wesley. I wondered then if there is a bit of "I'll pass to my mate" within the squad.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #175 on: November 26, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »
Near the end of the game we broke away with Jack having the ball.  Wesley was free and if Jack had played it to him he would have had a run at goal.  Instead Jack held the ball up and instead passed to McGinn who was square with him.  McGinn took it forward a bit then turned and passed it back to Jack.  Both of them completely never looking to play it to Wesley. I wondered then if there is a bit of "I'll pass to my mate" within the squad.

I know the move you're talking about and I think it was more that they were playing it safe. At times earlier in the season we'd have pushed for a 3rd and got caught on the counter to set up a nervy finish, last night we were much more disciplined, players went when it was on and they had cover but other wise they held their shape and gave Newcastle very little space to break into (bar a couple of half chances).

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »

I know the move you're talking about and I think it was more that they were playing it safe. At times earlier in the season we'd have pushed for a 3rd and got caught on the counter to set up a nervy finish, last night we were much more disciplined, players went when it was on and they had cover but other wise they held their shape and gave Newcastle very little space to break into (bar a couple of half chances).

McGinn is historically less likely to lose possession or go to ground needlessly when the ball is played to him in a forward position. I'd imagine it was that.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2019, 04:14:57 PM »

I think the initial post is mistaken anyway, Jack and Big Wes were having a big hug at the end of the game

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »

Observations:

We ain’t going down when you have teams like Newcastle in the league – they were dire, really really shit.

It’s time to call time on Wesley – the worst Villa striker I’ve seen in over 40 years.

Really?

Cascarino and Penrice.

Thought Wesley was fairly good to be honest, holds the ball up and passes accurately. There is definitley a footballer in there. Time, backing and confidence will be repaid I think.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »

Observations:

Really?

Cascarino and Penrice.

Thought Wesley was fairly good to be honest, holds the ball up and passes accurately. There is definitley a footballer in there. Time, backing and confidence will be repaid I think.

Me too, I thought he was sound.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal