collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by martin o`who??
[Today at 12:06:27 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Monty
[Today at 12:05:21 PM]

Champions League Contention by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 12:04:52 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 12:03:25 PM]

Robin Olsen by Neil Hawkes
[Today at 11:57:36 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:43:43 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Mister E
[Today at 11:34:56 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by Nev
[Today at 11:16:38 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 32108 times)

Offline Brassneck

Re: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2019, 08:33:24 AM »
As much as I dislike Wolves, I have to say that they looked a good side yesterday. 

I worry about the LB position still and think this is probably 2nd priority behind a striker In January or next Summer at the latest.

Difficult to criticise individual performances as they were all below par with the exception of possibly Konsa and Nyland - Both of whom came in from the cold and did well.

I likened this performance to the one against Brighton (when they were playing with 11 men).  Both Brighton & Wolves play 3 at the back and we struggled to play against it on both occasions.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2019, 08:43:47 AM »
For all the other aspects of our performance (good and bad) we haven’t half given away some soft goals in the last couple of games.

No one within 10 yards of their best striker of the ball from a free kick is pretty unforgivable for the first yesterday. Terrible pass selection from McGinn and then lack of tactical foul from Luiz for the second.

Can also add Liverpool’s second and Man City first to that at least.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
For all the other aspects of our performance (good and bad) we haven’t half given away some soft goals in the last couple of games.

No one within 10 yards of their best striker of the ball from a free kick is pretty unforgivable for the first yesterday. Terrible pass selection from McGinn and then lack of tactical foul from Luiz for the second.

Agreed. The first goal was sooo naive: no one with th epresence of mind or observation skills to see Neves lining up. For the second, we did what we do well: give the ball away; and, I thought Nyland could have done better with it when the shot finally came in.

As I said yesterday, fitness, ball retention and more 'nous' are required.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2019, 09:38:36 AM »
Did the Croatian goalie slip out of the club without me noticing?

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »
Disappointed with yesterday's game not at the races in the first half and the way they scored there goal's we could've have done better.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #200 on: November 11, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »
Piss poor yesterday, worst performance of the season by a mile. Everyone had a stinker, even McGinn didn't get a kick against Moutinho. The worst culprits though were Guilbert who gave the ball away everytime he had it and Wesley who looks more shit by the game. If we don't sign a striker in January we're going down.

We showed them far too much respect for some reason. Everytime they had the ball we dropped off, gave them too much space and retreated to the edge of our box, bizarre. I called their first goal as I'm sure most did, why on earth would you leave Neves unmarked on the edge of the box? Braindead.

Hate to say it but Wolves looked miles ahead of us in every position and tactically. I don't understand what our game plan was or what we were trying to do.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #201 on: November 11, 2019, 10:28:59 AM »

Agreed. The first goal was sooo naive: no one with th epresence of mind or observation skills to see Neves lining up. For the second, we did what we do well: give the ball away; and, I thought Nyland could have done better with it when the shot finally came in.

As I said yesterday, fitness, ball retention and more 'nous' are required.

It’s the naivety that is killing us at the moment. From players and coaching staff.

Right now I reckon, bar Norwich, we must be the least likely team to grind out a result. For a variety of reasons, we haven’t been able to define a way to draw or win games when we haven’t been at our best.

And it’s frustrating because when we are good we are excellent and I would back us to get a result against the majority of teams in the league. Any drop off from that level though and we just look so vulnerable.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »
I cant believe anybody watched that game and thought Freddie played poorly.

By far and away our best player, he works his absolute bollocks off.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
Very true, I think niave is the word that has been used with the most regularity on this forum to describe our play and i'd go with that. The last 3 games especially we have conceeded goals that were very avoidable. Surely our preperation in the week for Wolves must of included not allowing Neves to get the ball around 25 yards out? The defending of that free kick routine was pathetic from us.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
Got the tactics wrong from the outset.
Fullbacks tucking in gave licence to roam esp for Doherty.

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »
Our reserves beat their third XI 2-1. Their first team beat our reserves 2-1. Let's see how we do against the jammy twats when our first team plays theirs.

Hardly our reserves, it was only really Grealish and Engels out.

Nyland in goal and we lost Targett during the game as well.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2019, 11:35:16 AM »
I cant believe anybody watched that game and thought Freddie played poorly.

By far and away our best player, he works his absolute bollocks off.

I did, and I did. He worked hard but was poor, same as everyone else bar El Ghazi in the second half, and Taylor, who actually came on and improved us

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »
I too though Taylor coming on improved us. Targett had lost possession a few times prior to that.

El Ghazi, Trezeguet, McGinn, Luiz all nearly totally anonymous for the most part, barring that spell in the second half. I can forgive McGinn and Luiz but am getting tired of the two wingers.

We deservedly lost but it's disappointing to read people talking about Smith needing to go. He's only just started to have a go at this job. We generally play some really good football and this season I've been proud of the way we have competed. We're not going to go from promotion-scrapers to european spots over night.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »

We deservedly lost but it's disappointing to read people talking about Smith needing to go.

I dont think one single person has said that.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2019, 12:03:56 PM »
It was a shit one. No two ways about it.

Nothing went for us and we didn't help ourselves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal