collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manchester City v Villa pre-match thread  (Read 21150 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Manchester City v Villa pre-match thread
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »
I've just remembered, we're wearing the godawful green third kit for this match aren't we?
There, and I was hopeful that we would not be embarrassed.

Offline lukey27

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
There seems to be a bit of negativity, re: Saturday and us being too open.

For me, the manager has set us up to press very high in the last two games as he felt that was how we could get at Norwich and Brighton and win the game. The press was too high and wild on Saturday and they passed through our lines very easily. But we've picked up back to back wins as a result of this approach.

No way on earth will we press that high Saturday against Man City, but he will want us to break as a front three if we can nick it and break up play in our own half.

I'd much rather we try and cause them problems. This manager and team aren't set up to put men behind the ball. They'll go and play and it's refreshing to see.

We'll still get beat, mind.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
They have some new injury concerns at the back with Rodri and Zinchenko out. We need to stay strong and disciplined at the back and take advantage of the chances we create. Importantly brave enough to go at them from the start.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
At least we'll have a go.

I think the big thing, without stating the obvious, is not giving away an early goal. As in the first few minutes.

Watford were abysmal against Man City, but didn't help themselves by giving away a goal after a minute or so.

And Wolves beat them a few weeks ago. If they can do it, it gives us all hope!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »
Its very simple

They have to be really off colour and we have to have a stormer. Do it the other way round and it could be embarrassingly bad.

I watched their game last night and the opposition scoring only made them better  :o

I would imagine if Dean Smith was there to watch his notes would just be "Fuckin hell"

I always thought Sterling was one of the most overrated players around when with 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' - but at this moment in time he could be the best player in the world.

Still they are only men against men - we need to give it a go and not be caught in headlights. Im sure Deano will have a plan

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »
Its very simple

They have to be really off colour and we have to have a stormer. Do it the other way round and it could be embarrassingly bad.

I watched their game last night and the opposition scoring only made them better  :o

I would imagine if Dean Smith was there to watch his notes would just be "Fuckin hell"

I always thought Sterling was one of the most overrated players around when with 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' - but at this moment in time he could be the best player in the world.

Still they are only men against men - we need to give it a go and not be caught in headlights. Im sure Deano will have a plan

this - We have nothing to lose but 3 points , oh and our goal difference ,, but keep the pride!! 

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »
As other have said, a free hit of a game. We should relish the opportunity to test the mettle of our emerging team/system against the best in the world. And every now and then, strange things happen in football, so why not with us: Expecting us to lose this but simmering optimism that we might snatch something. Up the Villa!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
Might be a time to play Davis and Wes up front together with the aim of bashing their defence about a bit.

4 4 2 to give more protection in midfield

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 03:43:23 PM »
Someday a team is going to turn up at man city and give them a right twatting. The dream is it will be us. It's the hope that kills you not the results.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
Someday a team is going to turn up at man city and give them a right twatting. The dream is it will be us. It's the hope that kills you not the results.

Not in this league, they're not. Not until Pep's gone, anyway.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
I expect them to win heavily. Anything other than that would be a pleasant surprise.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
Well into the Bermuda Triangle of Manchester where many a half decent Villa outfit have disappeared without trace. Our record at the Etihad is almost as embarrassing as that at OT so I’m not hopeful, anything 3-0 or under and the moral victory will be ours.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2019, 05:56:53 PM »
Last time I went to the "new" ground, we lost 4-1 after being a goal up at half time.

As someone said earlier, I think Saturday is a "free hit". Go and have a right old slog at it, and if we get caught out, then so be it.

I think Dean will get it right, he'll want us have a go without us being wide open. If we are too cavalier, it could be embarrassing.

Sod it, I'm going for a 2-2.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »
At least this time we have a glimmer of hope we might snatch a point. Under potato head my glimmer of hope would have been that we would have only lost by 5 goals.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2019, 06:23:49 PM »
Well into the Bermuda Triangle of Manchester where many a half decent Villa outfit have disappeared without trace. Our record at the Etihad is almost as embarrassing as that at OT so I’m not hopeful, anything 3-0 or under and the moral victory will be ours.

That Etihad League record in full:

Played 13
Won 1
Drawn 0
Lost 12
Goals for 8
Goals against 39

We’ve also lost 2 FA Cup games there as well but have the “glory” of the Paul Lambert inspired 4-2 stuffing we handed them in the League Cup.

Well and truly our bogey club and ground.

If you’re going, enjoy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal