collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread  (Read 31648 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
West Ham are a decent side and have that Premiership nous that we haven't fully acquired as yet. 

Yes, I thought they were so much better at the decisions of when to committ men forward, when to press and when to get behind the ball.

On the plus side, we will get better at that with every game

Offline RichardBatchelor

OpRe: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2019, 11:44:31 AM »
Thought it was ok up to the red card. The problem we have is although we’re competitive there are no crap teams and hardly any dodgy managers now in this league.

Positives. Closing down West Ham when shaping to shoot. This we did magnificently. Mings MOM, and Marvelous, while not quite marvellous, was ace. Grealish first half, Engels, general defensive play and a handful of attacking forays. Overall average. Move on to next game ...

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2019, 11:45:19 AM »
West Ham fans were singing that Jack is just a ‘sh1t Mark Noble.’

I thought Mark Noble had the ‘sh1t Mark Noble’ title sewn up already.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
His diving is even sh*tter.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
We did enough in the first half to win this match. It was obvious from about 15 minutes that West Ham came for a draw. Second half was disappointing particularly the last 25 minutes against 10 men. We were actually quite shambolic in that period. No idea, no coherency, zero composure and therefore no end result. We have failed the test of 10 men twice. Against Palace went down to 10 and lost the match and now this. We also "lost it" after Spurs equalised. We are obviously not a confident team at this level yet and  Dean and Co need to do most work on that aspect. If can can grow we will survive.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »
Some musings; First on West Ham. An expensive, established team in fine form have been nullified and rendered toothless by a very good defensive performance by us.  Despite grumblings, this is a massive positive, Heaton was completely untroubled. Declan Rice stood out like a beacon, he is a very good footballer.
On to us; We played well first half BUT as with any team of our level, we have 2/3 outstanding players and you need at least one of them to be on top form, we did not have that. Jack was out of sorts and kept dropping too deep for my liking. McGinn was 100mph as always but it was all a bit "running down blind alleys". Wes is getting pelters but his general hold up play was actually quite good, but somehow he was still too isolated, Our MF never seemed to support the attack in force.
AEG was a bit rubbish but despite Neil Taylor being excellent defensively, he doesn't give defenders a great deal to think about on offense - its generally down to AEG to work something on his own.

My overriding feeling after that is that we had too many unforced errors, really sloppy passing - Nakamba, Grealish, Guilbert, McGinn were all guilty. When they went down to 10 men the game was calling out for Lansbury and Hourihane - we should have loaded the MF and dominated them allowing 2-3 of them to break into the box on every attack - poor subs by DS im afraid.

Next game I really think we need to change the system slightly and get a couple of men closer to Wes in and around the box.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »
Not knocking the recruitment and not saying that Trez and Wes are flops, but we're probably 4 points down due to them not hitting the ground running.

We need them to improve, if they don't it'll be a struggle until January when we need a wide-man and a centre forward. I'm sure we've got money so I'm not concerned, and our defence will keep us in games but losing points before we run in to the big boys is frustrating.

The likes of Batshauyi and Demari Gray might be available in Jan on short-term deals so I'm sure there's scope.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2019, 01:19:59 PM »
Not knocking the recruitment and not saying that Trez and Wes are flops, but we're probably 4 points down due to them not hitting the ground running.

We need them to improve, if they don't it'll be a struggle until January when we need a wide-man and a centre forward. I'm sure we've got money so I'm not concerned, and our defence will keep us in games but losing points before we run in to the big boys is frustrating.

The likes of Batshauyi and Demari Gray might be available in Jan on short-term deals so I'm sure there's scope.

I'd definitely be up for getting Gray if Leicester were prepared to let him go.  A very good player on the few times I've seen them play.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2019, 01:31:34 PM »
Like others have said the final ball needs improving and cut out the sloppy passes but I think we will be Ok come the end of the season.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »
Although I am frustrated that we didn't get a goal, I really enjoyed the match last night.

We definitely tried to put West Ham under pressure, love seeing Villa attacking towards the Holte with the crowd roaring and putting teams under pressure and was great to see more of that last night for the first time this season.  West Ham came and played like they were wary of what we can do which is exactly the perception we need to be creating rather than having teams turn up thinking they can boss us at our own ground.  Positive things.

Nakamba settled for the second half and retained the ball a lot better, will be interesting how he now progresses and great that again our strength in depth allowed us to swap someone out who needed a rest after international duty.  We kept Heaton relatively trouble-free for 90 minutes, even despite a few pacey counter attacks when we were pressing forward, so with another clean sheet at home it's sending the right message.

We still have improvements to make.  I felt that we didn't find Wesley enough to get him into the game, and when we brought Davis on we didn't get the ball in the box often enough to make use of our two big strikers.  I think a few players felt the pressure and the expectancy and the frustration in the air and we became a bit desperate to get the goal we all craved which led to missed opportunities and losing the ball too often.

There's definitely more to come from this side, you get the feeling that like a striker who needs a goal, we just need that bit of luck and the right result to build us up that confidence that we can kick on with.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
This is where Deano needs to show some flexibility with formations.  I think Arsenal away is a good game to try something like a 4-2-2-1-1.  Hourihane in there for his set piece threat and get the big lads up, play Grealish higher up the field and look to win free kicks. Be compact and we can nick something there.

Heaton

Fred - Engels - Mings - Taylor

Marvelous - Douglas Luis

McGinn - Hourihane

Grealish

Wesley

no width

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »
Dogtanian has articulated my thoughts perfectly. I salute you, Sir.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »
Heaton- Engels - Mings  dont think i would swap them for any other 3 in the prem they have settled in and look solid

Guilbert -  love this lad and he will only get better, we have a true Villa star on our hands here

Taylor - did ok but needs an up-grade , in the same way Elmo did ok but we needed someone who offered more and Guibert came in and we look better for it,
don't know if that's Target, if not it was a lot of money to pay for someone who's no improvement on Taylor

Grealish - Mcginn - heartbeat of the villa side, Jacks not reached his heights yet but he is still instrumental in everything we do going forward,
Mcginn is just Mcginn best iv'e seen since Des Bremner, no higher praise than that

Doug - Marvo -  play them both, i reckon Doug especially would be just as creative as one of our wide players

El Ghazi- Jota - Trez-  not overly impressed with any of them so far, all a bit samey in there performances, but its early days for Trez
 hopefully one will come through to be a more dangerous player in the wide areas

Wesley - Davis -   not worried about them if we get the shape right they will score the goals

i also agree with Dogtanians post,
enjoyed the game and we are a totally different team from the last time we played in this league

i was a bit disappointed in the sub, bringing on Elmo looked a bit like we were playing for a draw,
 then the fella got sent off
so we are playing against 10 men with both Elmo and Taylor in our 11,
 we needed to get Davis or at least Hourahane on straight away put pressure on them and give it a right go

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2019, 04:12:26 PM »
I was really disappointed that we weren't capable of scoring at home against ten men. However, looking back at the solid defensive display and the discernible, if raw, talent that we have on the pitch I have decided to be positive and not wet my pants for the moment.

I was not impressed with the AEG / Mings handbags though.

Offline Scovilla

« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »
This is where Deano needs to show some flexibility with formations.  I think Arsenal away is a good game to try something like a 4-2-2-1-1.  Hourihane in there for his set piece threat and get the big lads up, play Grealish higher up the field and look to win free kicks. Be compact and we can nick something there.

Heaton

Fred - Engels - Mings - Taylor

Marvelous - Douglas Luis

McGinn - Hourihane

Grealish

Wesley

no width

The width has got to come from the left and right backs. Guilbert can do it not sure about Taylor.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal