collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread  (Read 31620 times)

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
Re: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »
Engels was pretty much faultless. Again.

What a gem of a signing he's turning out to be.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »
Should have won, but once they had the man sent off they stopped in their own half, denied us or themselves any space, and the odds on the draw shot up.

Overall I'm surprised to see people complaining about the quality. I actually thought everything - passing, pressing, defensive shape, decision making - was of high standard, with the exception of actually finishing the bloody chances. It's an odd division, with ten teams capable of finishing between tenth and bottom, and none of them, not even Newcastle, are what I'd call bad. Three pretty good sides will go down this year, and while we might well be one of them it is nice to actually have a pretty good side.

The passing and crossing in the second half was absolutely abysmal.  I can't recall a game where we made so many sloppy, unforced errors.  The second half was really poor almost from start to finish.

That's the game I watched.

Dire.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »
On the whole I agree with Ads. A Defence that never really looked under threat, Guilbert dealt with their main attacking threat  well, and the rest of the defence did their bit against a decent side going forward. Taylor got overloaded a few times but more to do with those in front not tracking back than his defensive abilities, despite his fine effort to score and own goal.

Our midfield is after more time than they actually have playing at this level. It's pass and move in one motion not two or three touches and then pass, consider the move and then go. The transition from second division to this league will take time.

As for big Wes, he was isolated for large parts of he game. If the ball sticks to him we need to be around running off him. Easy for us to say from the stands I suppose. Wesley's miss was poor but every pundit was raving about Haller and his miss first half was arguably even easier. So it happens.

Finally, apologies to anyone near me offended by my double barrel tirade on about 70 minutes at the bloke behind me who just constantly rubbishes Taylor [except for the bloke it was aimed at obviously]. I am not great fan of Taylor's but defensively he has done better than ok this year, hes not good going forward I accept but to consistently go on an on and on and on and .... about him really got to me. I usually keep calm, take the money off my son after the "time of the fist anti Taylor comment" [2 minutes 48 seconds, second touch]. Not this time.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2019, 09:04:30 AM »
Against a strong, well organised side I thought we made the better chances but our finishing let us down. I am hoping that doesn’t become the story of the season.

Yep, agree with that. 

West Ham are a decent side and have that Premiership nous that we haven't fully acquired as yet.  We need to sharpen up and to cut out the sloppiness.  We don't get the time on the ball we did in the Championship hence the sloppiness.

I see a lot of people on here having a go at Grealish. Apart from a few poor passes I thought he had a good game and as usual anything good we did came through him.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »
Defensively we look very good but I'm not convinced by midfield as it is or the front three, maybe a change of formation would do the trick. As others have said, we should have invested more in our attacking options in the summer and imo sacrificed luxuries like Konsa.  in fact, I'm not wholly convinced by Terz, Jota or Wesley.On the way home I was listening unwisely to Talkshite and that cnunt Cundy was mouthing off again about how Grealish would only become a proper England contender if he joined a better club. People generally in the media have very little that is positive to say about us, which pisses me off enormously. finally where is Targett? He seems to have disappeared totally.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
Off? Targett?

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
I thought the first half was pretty entertaining, but the second half we were pretty poor with repetitive sloppy passing. 

Thought Deano got the line up wrong playing both El Ghazi and Jota, and he should have shored the midfield up at half time with either Hourihane or Luiz for Jota, who was too lightweight and largely ineffective.

Liked the look of Marvelous, and SJM was looked like he'd had new batteries fitted, but all in all it was pretty meh, and a point was fair given that either team could have scored near the end.

Anywhere to see the Mark Noble dive? People who went down to watch it at half time said it was pretty outrageous and he should have had a second yellow.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2019, 09:43:13 AM »
Defensively we look very good but I'm not convinced by midfield as it is or the front three, maybe a change of formation would do the trick. As others have said, we should have invested more in our attacking options in the summer and imo sacrificed luxuries like Konsa.  in fact, I'm not wholly convinced by Terz, Jota or Wesley.On the way home I was listening unwisely to Talkshite and that cnunt Cundy was mouthing off again about how Grealish would only become a proper England contender if he joined a better club. People generally in the media have very little that is positive to say about us, which pisses me off enormously. finally where is Targett? He seems to have disappeared totally.

Injured. Returned to training end of last week and should be available for the Arsenal game

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2019, 09:53:52 AM »
I would like a formation switch and away at Arsenal might necessitate that.

Smith spoke in the summer about having the option to play 3 at the back with the players in the squad now, and with our wide options being so ineffective this seems like the prefect time to try it. Konsa, Engels and Mings should be a cohesive back 3, Guilbert should be comfortable as a wing-back, and it gives us the options to solidify the midfield, get Grealish further up the pitch and also get a striker-partner in for Wes. I wonder if Trez could play in that central-role, as Keinan would be too similar a player?

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »
Targett is recovering from a hamstring injury

Konsa is a very astute bit of business. he's English, he's a ball playing centre half, 21 years of age and if slab head Maguire is anything to go by half a good season and he's worth huge money with the English premium ...

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
Frustrating but not disastrous.  Odd how we fell apart once they went down to 10 men.  We looked tired, which perhaps explains the multiple misplaced passes towards the end.

Positives: Nakamba had a decent debut,  the defence didn't give them a clear chance on goal, we created the clearer chances, Guilbert looked quick and committed, Grealish looked good first half.

Less positive:  Tempo still too slow,  way too many sloppy passes, neither winger much cop, centre forward a bit isolated and missed two free headers even if one was offside, Taylor, whilst ok defensively, is useless when attacking, a seeming reluctance to have a pop (Taylor and Grealish had sight of goal second half and bottled it), Jota looks lightweight, a bit slow and very one-footed,  struggling against 10 men.

All in all we don't look a bad team, certainly nothing like 3-4 years ago, we maybe need a bit more time for players to bed in and for things to click.  And maybe Dean needs to re-think the formation.

Cant agree with the bit about Nakamba. Gave the ball away numerous times under little pressure. Hopefully was just a bit nervous on his debut.

Eh?  He had one little patch first half where he was sloppy with a couple of passses, then at the end when there was a communal give the ball away party but apart from that I thought he played really well, broke up a number of attacks especially second half, and brought the ball forward well. 

For those criticising Grealish, I think they are basing the whole performance on the last 25-30 minutes, where admittedly he was poor, bu so were most of them.  I've not really bought into the hype around him but up to then he's caused Spam a lot of problems and created a fair few chances for us.  Harsh to say he was crap.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
When I say the standard of the passing was high (and it did get sloppier when they went down to ten) I mean you have to factor in the quality of the pressing and the defending too. There were plenty of balls that, against lesser opposition, would've been on target and incisive but that were cut out by good positioning and anticipation. This division is a proper challenge.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
Violent conduct is violent conduct, doesn't matter who it's aimed at.  He's an idiot.

Only players I can remember actually getting sent off for it were the Bowyer-Dyer fight.

Just mentioned on radio Adebayor and Bendtner had a fight in an Arsenal game and neither were sent off.

"Arsenal were 4-1 down to fierce rivals Tottenham, a touch paper which would then be lit by Arsene Wenger's strikers.

Adebayor attempted to headbutt the Dane and later revealed his aggression was stimulated due to a perceived lack of respect.  "

So similar by sounds of it, no red card issued.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »
Defensively sound and Marvelous had a good debut. I'd favour him ahead of Luiz as dm. Away from home playing both might be an option but as we're defensively sound I would only play 1 of them at home. Our wingers are not performing and leaving Wes isolated. A change of formation is needed to 4-1-3-2 for home games and perhaps 4-2-3-1 for aways. In home games, if he's available I'd have Trez playing off Wes.
Last night our dead ball routines were awful and clearly we are missing Conor's free kicks, corner kicks and goals.
If Jack can get booked for simulation when he didn't dive, why didn't noble get his second booking when he clearly dived? Answer-sh-t refs. I don't like to see my own players fighting, but Mings and El Ghazi both showed they cared and if our basket case players of 2016 had shown a bit more grit between each other we may not have got relegated. I was impressed with the way both shook hands immediately at the resulting corner, missed totally by the ref who then proceeded to talk to both, long after the initial squirmish. Regarding west spam, I thought Bournemouth were better. They offered nothing and were well marshalled by our defense. Dean 4-3-3 isn't working as we don't have the forward players to make it work. A re-think is needed.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »
The attack is slightly concerning. Get rid of one winger, push Grealish forward and stick Hourihane or Luiz in the midfield gap.

Our defence was very good.

Laughing at some WHU fans on post-match news threads deriding Villa. Er...you only took a point from us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal