collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rugby World Cup 2019  (Read 61073 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Rugby World Cup 2019
« Reply #645 on: November 02, 2019, 07:45:18 PM »
The better team won, but only because they were decent and did the basics well. They weren’t exceptional by any means it’s just that we didn’t even reach 50% of what we’re capable of. We were passive, nervous and imprecise. It’s a shame after last week’s display, which was the complete antithesis and showed what we’re capable of.

The biggest learning we have to take is around our consistency. We’ve shown we can outplay the best now we’ve got to stop having these games where our performance drops off a cliff. New Zealand are great because they generally sustain excellence and that’s got to be our aim.

I hope Eddie stays on, but I fear the lure of another crack at the Aussie job will be too much. Whether he does stay or not we have to use the hurt of today as our motivation for the next four years and any game we play.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #646 on: November 02, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »
Having had time to digest the debacle this morning here’s a few observations.

Not for the first time we choked under Jones,what did he expect from S.A, them to actually play rugby?

Daly has been bang average all tournament, SA targeted him and it paid off in spades, very poor.

Anthony Watson has to be full back for 6N.

Youngs is mince, hopefully that’s the last we’ll see of him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #647 on: November 03, 2019, 12:05:01 AM »
We were away for a few days so I've not been on here much and didn't get to see the whole game but I was a little worried when he selected the same 15 as the NZ game. I think the requirements were very different and I'd have started this one with a focus on showing they couldn't bully us to begin with. Marler, Cole, Kruis, Slade into the 15 and Coka into the 23. Front up in the scrum for the first half and show that we wouldn't be bullied (and give that picture to the ref) and then move into our more expansive game once we were settled.

After that I convinced myself that if we could get an early try and force them to chase the game we'd be fine but losing Sinckler and Garces deciding we were weak in the scrum in the first 3 minutes was just an invitation for them to claim penalties on demand, add in some shit-housery that should've seen at least Faf seeing a yellow (his one on halfway was bad, the one inside their 22 when we were already playing advantage was just a clear yellow) before halftime and we were in trouble. I think once they got to halftime in the lead our heads went, I only saw the first couple of minutes of the 2nd but far too many players looked like they'd rather have stayed in the dressing room.

Jon - I agree on Watson, far better fullback than Daly but not such a strong kicking option which is why Jones went as he did, but it's at the expense of too many mistakes under the high ball. Youngs I've been calling out for years, I still can't understand how Robson was overlooked for so long. I'm optimistic that we'll be fine at 9 though, Alex Mitchell is my choice because he's got the skills but is also lightning fast and quite spry, which is a massive benefit for a 9. If he can force himself ahead of Reinach in the next year or so then he'll deserve to be in the England squad. That Jones called up Spencer (another bang average 9 with a good box-kick) worries me greatly though.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #648 on: November 03, 2019, 12:47:37 AM »
Not for the first time we choked under Jones,what did he expect from S.A, them to actually play rugby?
This is true. Jones has messed up most of the tournaments he has managed inter-spread with some spectacular wins. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #649 on: November 03, 2019, 01:48:34 PM »
I've just been talking about the game with Dylan Hartley at a birthday party our daughters were at.  He's always careful not to criticise too much, but is gutted for his mates but not overly surprised at the result.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #650 on: November 03, 2019, 02:44:41 PM »
I have no idea who should replace him but I’d be happy for Jones to leave.  Not because he is a bad coach more because I’m not sure the players will have the appetite for four more years of his abrasive and physically exhausting style. 

In World Cup year the I think the players will be more forgiving but when it’s four years away I can see players wanting ‘time off’ and divisions forming in the squad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal