collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rugby World Cup 2019  (Read 62587 times)

Offline luke:lamf

Re: Rugby World Cup 2019
« Reply #195 on: October 10, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
Hasn't there been a debate about whether it would be better for England or France to lise their game ? In such circumstances, I guess France will be happy with the extra rest, and whatever "momentum" can be maintained from not actually having lost to England.

Italy probably know they'll be soundly thrashed by NZ, so happy to avoid the humiliation.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »
Hasn't there been a debate about whether it would be better for England or France to lise their game ? In such circumstances, I guess France will be happy with the extra rest, and whatever "momentum" can be maintained from not actually having lost to England.

Italy probably know they'll be soundly thrashed by NZ, so happy to avoid the humiliation.

For the QF Top Play Aus, 2nd play Wales (on the basis that Wales don't get turned over by Uruguay) I doubt there would be anyone desperate to play 1 or the other. After that Top play the winner of, s it stands, NZ/Ireland and 2nd play Japan/SA. If those games go to form I'm actually not sure who i'd prefer to play between NZ or SA (on the basis that you'll play the other in the final). Either way I suspect Enlgand need to beat the 3 tri-nations sides back-to-back to win it, and if we do no one could say it wasn't a thoroughly deserved win.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2019, 11:41:49 AM »
A world cup game has never had to be abandoned before so I suspect the rules around it were cobbled together in the idea that it would never be an issue.

Scotland will be the big one, I can't see Scotland accepting the draw to put them out without an appeal. I'm surprised France and Italy don't seem a bit more upset as well.

I doubt it's ever been held anywhere where monsoons or hurricanes are a potential problem.  The fact that they now have done so, they should have built in contingency plans.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2019, 11:49:31 AM »
Quite.

Offline Scovilla

« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »
A world cup game has never had to be abandoned before so I suspect the rules around it were cobbled together in the idea that it would never be an issue.

Scotland will be the big one, I can't see Scotland accepting the draw to put them out without an appeal. I'm surprised France and Italy don't seem a bit more upset as well.

France don't really care because everybody down here knows they will get beat whoever they play.

Offline Risso

« Reply #200 on: October 10, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
Scotland going home in such circumstances would turn the whole thing into a farce.

Much better to let them play somewhere else, have their arses handed to them by Japan, and let them go home as a result of their own glorious failure!

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
Scotland going home in such circumstances would turn the whole thing into a farce.

Much better to let them play somewhere else, have their arses handed to them by Japan, and let them go home as a result of their own glorious failure!

Queen Nippy would ask for a vote on it.

Online paul_e

« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2019, 01:09:59 PM »

I doubt it's ever been held anywhere where monsoons or hurricanes are a potential problem.  The fact that they now have done so, they should have built in contingency plans.

I agree completely, I think cancelling games at a world cup for a sport which isn't highly restricted by the weather (unlike the cricket for example) is shameful and reflects very poorly on world rugby. Even worse is the risk that the hosts are the major beneficiaries, that can easily be viewed as a cynical cash grab. I think Japan deserve to qualify, but this would always leave a question mark next to the achievement.

Online paul_e

« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »

France don't really care because everybody down here knows they will get beat whoever they play.

I honestly think they could push Wales close. The french game plan at this world cup is pretty similar to how England played at home to Wales in the summer, big carries through the 10 and 12 channel and then go to the pace out wide once they've got a few backs stuck into the rucks. France aren't as effective at it as England because we have Manu and Coka to go alongside the big forwards so hit those lines at really difficult angles to defend, for France it's Picamoles, Poirot and the locks doing all the work.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2019, 01:37:13 PM »

I agree completely, I think cancelling games at a world cup for a sport which isn't highly restricted by the weather (unlike the cricket for example) is shameful and reflects very poorly on world rugby. Even worse is the risk that the hosts are the major beneficiaries, that can easily be viewed as a cynical cash grab. I think Japan deserve to qualify, but this would always leave a question mark next to the achievement.

Regarding your last sentence, Paul, the Japanese are well aware of this fact. They'll be really pleased to qualify, and rightfully so, but they'll feel shame about doing so in the manner that it may happen.

It's just engrained in the culture, and I like that about the general population here. Sporting behaviour is lauded, and even though the typhoon isn't their fault, they'll see it as it actually is. I reckon the game will be moved. A one off if you like.

Offline Risso

« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2019, 01:52:20 PM »

I honestly think they could push Wales close. The french game plan at this world cup is pretty similar to how England played at home to Wales in the summer, big carries through the 10 and 12 channel and then go to the pace out wide once they've got a few backs stuck into the rucks. France aren't as effective at it as England because we have Manu and Coka to go alongside the big forwards so hit those lines at really difficult angles to defend, for France it's Picamoles, Poirot and the locks doing all the work.

It's not really relevant or indeed the slightest bit interesting, but when Picamoles left Northampton to go back to France, we were just moving back to the area, and looked at the house he'd been renting in Crick to rent for ourselves.  In other Saints player news, me and the missus will be out with Dylan Hartley and his wife on Saturday evening at a mutual friends' house.  He is absolutely gutted not to be playing in Japan, as you might expect.

Online paul_e

« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »

It's not really relevant or indeed the slightest bit interesting, but when Picamoles left Northampton to go back to France, we were just moving back to the area, and looked at the house he'd been renting in Crick to rent for ourselves.  In other Saints player news, me and the missus will be out with Dylan Hartley and his wife on Saturday evening at a mutual friends' house.  He is absolutely gutted not to be playing in Japan, as you might expect.

I'm not convinced Hartley will play again, superb player at his best, brilliant captain and line out thrower all the time and incredibly harshly judged to get some truly ridiculous bans at times. One of my favourite players of all-time and I'm gutted for him that injury meant he didn't get to end a superb international career in the way it deserved.

Offline Risso

« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
He might be a great rugby player, but he is absolutely shit at general knowledge quizzes, so you know, #levels.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2019, 03:20:04 PM »
For me, Hartley died with the ball too much.

Although not as often as the Steve Thompson did

Online paul_e

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2019, 03:23:27 PM »
For me, Hartley died with the ball too much.

Although not as often as the Steve Thompson did

He was never a ball carrier, but he gave us loads of control at set pieces and was superb in defence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal