collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 42739 times)

Offline nordenvillain

Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »
Is that person talking about the Jim O’Toole bid who says it’s ready to go once admin is declared-hoping for NSWE type bid coming from nowhere but suspect it might well get to that 5pm deadline with nothing happening.

Can’t fault the players today, certainly not downed tools

I don't think so but I haven't spoken to him directly, it's a bit chinese whispers but my aunt and her family are friends with the family of one of the players whose on the fringes of the first team. The chain of messages I've seen are that the players have been told that a takeover will happen and shouldn't need them to go into administration but they were also told tyhat there'd be a major announcement a few weeks back and all that happened was some people got paid but nothing more siginificant.

The tune of Diamond and some of the players has changed last week or so, openly criticising the two cowboy owners….think they are sick of lies and promises
Having had dealings with Steve Diamond whilst he was at Sale and having 2 friends who have known him for decades, he's not the kind of man to rile !

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2022, 08:03:35 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Diamond is leading the push for the owners to sell. Of all the coaches in the league he'd be top of the list for me in this situation, if anyone can keep the squad onside it's him. A view supported by the fantastic performance and result at the weekend.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2022, 12:20:38 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Diamond is leading the push for the owners to sell. Of all the coaches in the league he'd be top of the list for me in this situation, if anyone can keep the squad onside it's him. A view supported by the fantastic performance and result at the weekend.

Hopefully he will be part of any consortium that comes forward now it’s in admin - he has kept his powder dry through the process, strikes me as someone who will have been working with someone in the background.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #243 on: September 28, 2022, 07:10:34 PM »
I feel very sorry for all connected with it but it has pissed on my plans for Saturday! The killer with Worcester is the land. When I coach junior games there they own land with about 13 pitches on a subways trot under the M5. Those are worth millions. The current owners will want their pound of flesh on that before any sale is agreed.

It also isn't quite as easy as other clubs swooping in for their players. The salary cap was downed this year. Good because more kids are getting a game but it also means the wage bill at each club is spoken for already if they don't want to get in the shit. It isn't as simple as it would be in football where a club perishes and someone new swoops in the next day to pick them up.

Bath scout there this weekend for Spencer and a team mate by way of an aside.

Newcastle will be the next in the toilet because their income and crowds means it would take them 20 years on a shoestring to pay the loan back from Covid stuff but it happens at all levels.

We don't have a veterans pitch at our club after a financial to do anymore. We get a kit and away travel. They take 20 times that cost each home game in the bar. I will never understand sports finance at times!

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2022, 07:16:38 PM »
I caught a bit of an interview today that seemed to indicate that Worcester will get a buyer pretty quickly.

Online Gareth

« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2022, 07:36:55 PM »
I believe the players were paid in August, if they don’t get paid in September there is a 14 day period before they can leave for free….listening to Ollie Lawrence on the RugbyPod it seems he and a few others will look to go on loan to tick over whilst this is sorted…hopefully it will

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #246 on: September 28, 2022, 07:39:48 PM »
The buyers want the land though mate to try to make ends meet quickly by flogging it and these owners won't sell it for a song.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2022, 12:42:39 AM »
I read somewhere that the caretaker and his wife have been evicted from their club accomodation.

Online Gareth

« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2022, 08:32:37 AM »
The buyers want the land though mate to try to make ends meet quickly by flogging it and these owners won't sell it for a song.
that’s for the administrators to pick apart, hopefully that land ends up in its rightful place….all feels very dodgy Joe they have run it

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #249 on: October 01, 2022, 09:39:05 AM »
Matters are also confused by them having two businesses. The one in administration is not where the salaries come from. The basic rule is that they have advice from the RPA that, as they weren't paid this month, they can exercise a 14 day notice to leave period based on breach of contract. I just don't know where they are all going to go though. Gloucester is only up the road and they are doing alright financially so a couple might end up there but it will be tight. Keep in mind they have a squad of 40 players and that is before you consider the salaried more junior players. They are fucked unless they can flog the juniors pitch land to a property developer or someone like that. I was a bit surprised the other day to hear just how much Gloucester take on a match day at circa £500k. Nice gesture from Glaws as well. If Worcester season ticket holders want a rugby fix then you fill in an online form and Gloucester will flog you tickets at 25% of the normal price. And if you are in that neck of the woods about now we have an open training session and meet and greet with the players after in lieu of the game.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #250 on: October 01, 2022, 11:47:42 AM »
The Mighty Lyd are at home against Chew Valley this afternoon in a top of the table clash.

Hopefully some of the Lyd/Forest based Glawster fans will come down to our game instead

EDIT - Chew Valley were a bit useful and we got thumped.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 09:22:51 PM by UK Redsox »

Online Gareth

« Reply #251 on: October 01, 2022, 08:39:04 PM »
Matters are also confused by them having two businesses. The one in administration is not where the salaries come from. The basic rule is that they have advice from the RPA that, as they weren't paid this month, they can exercise a 14 day notice to leave period based on breach of contract. I just don't know where they are all going to go though. Gloucester is only up the road and they are doing alright financially so a couple might end up there but it will be tight. Keep in mind they have a squad of 40 players and that is before you consider the salaried more junior players. They are fucked unless they can flog the juniors pitch land to a property developer or someone like that. I was a bit surprised the other day to hear just how much Gloucester take on a match day at circa £500k. Nice gesture from Glaws as well. If Worcester season ticket holders want a rugby fix then you fill in an online form and Gloucester will flog you tickets at 25% of the normal price. And if you are in that neck of the woods about now we have an open training session and meet and greet with the players after in lieu of the game.

Indeed, it is a good gesture.  Not something they needed to do.

The owners blaming players for not taking huge pay cuts & fans for not turning up every week to watch largely losing rugby is more than a bit rich….cowboys & see you next Tuesdays of the highest order the pair of them

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #252 on: October 05, 2022, 08:42:49 PM »
As it's not bene posted yet \worcester are now effectively dead, no staff, no players and relegation confirmed by the RFU. Letting it get to this point when there were offers on the table in the summer is pathetic and shows that their only priority was to grab as much money on the way out as they could.

Fingers crossed the adminstrators can work something out and they can get a decent number of the players back to at least give themselves a chance to play out the season and have a realistic chance of holding their own next year in the championship.

Moving across the midlands it sounds like Wasps have found some extra investment to sort their problems out so it will be interesting to see what the league/RFU do there, I can't imagine they'll want to put 2 clubs out of the league with no one obvious to come up and replace them. There are talks for a couple of the welsh teams to join but that would still leave the league as 13 when the aim is to get it up to 14 next summer.

Online Gareth

« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2022, 08:01:44 AM »
You wonder if it had been Wasps going to the wall first then RFU / PR might have intervened a bit more vigorously….not sure they were bothered about losing little old Worcester.

Horrible for the employees & players….those two charlatans have got what they want

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2022, 08:57:09 AM »
Paul

I'm not convinced that the RFU does really want the league up to 14 clubs. They could have done that for this season but found an excuse not to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal