collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Athletics 2019  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Athletics 2019
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »
Well done Dina, great stuff.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »
Brilliant performance from her, deserved a far bigger crowd.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2019, 09:03:30 PM »
Could we bid to host this, seeing as we will have the stadium ready for it in 2022? We would get much better crowds than this.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2019, 09:15:30 PM »
On the Dec and Hep;

- the difference in the official event disciplines is indeed a historical one; when the first official formulations were made it was decided that, as women at the time did not compete in Pole Vault and Discus Throw, they were not advised to do them in the Combined Events. And because they were women it was decided that fewer and less taxing events (substituting the 800m for the 1500m that the men do, missing out the 100m sprint completely) would be sensible. It was the prevailing view of the time. We know better now.

- there is a Dec for women which exactly matches the mens but it is not official. In the US it is available far more widely than elsewhere, colleges and States run championships but not nationally or internationally. I hope that changes soon.

- No-one will let you know why the equalising rules changes have not yet been made even when Pole Vault has been a sport for women for 20+ years etc but my own view is that the current Hep balance of disciplines favours sprinter/jumper athlete types and disadvantages strength-based or throwing athletes and the history the US and UK have achieved in international events (because they produce sprinter/jumpers) compared to Eastern European or African and Caribbean athletes (who have traditionally produced jumper/thrower types more often) means that the US and UK try to keep it at 7 with the current balance. Just my own view. I hope it changes soon because it's embarrasing to retain this anacronism from a more ignorant era.

- the Dec is, to my mind, the most enthralling competition in international athletics. The balance of speed, strength, technique and flexibility needs to be constantly maintained so that no one discipline falters and destroys the overall achievement. This is shown by one-discipline experts doing a Dec; Lavillenie did a few and scored monster points in Pole Vault but not enough to compensate for Jav, Disc and Shot performances below par. With a mix of 3 throws, 3 jumps and 4 trach disciplines you need to perform in all to win, not just 9. 

- the points system is done by discipline and each disciplines points are reset every few years based upon the actual world achievents within each event so, for example, if someone breaks the world record in Javelin or world performances advance across a broad front, the same performance in Javelin from one year to the enxt will earn fewer points in the Dec because the standard has been inched upwards.

- Daley Thompson was my athletic sporting hero.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2019, 09:29:21 PM »
Fantastic, Dina. Woop woop and totally world beating🤪👍

And,
Is the judgment on our Mick the hammer thrower well dodgy?

Online Louzie0

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
Katrina Johnson Thompson has just left everybody else behind.
Fantastic.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
Could we bid to host this, seeing as we will have the stadium ready for it in 2022? We would get much better crowds than this.

I'd be surprised if we don't bid. Eugene 2021, Budapest 2023. Birmingham 2025...

Online Louzie0

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »
On the Dec and Hep;

- the difference in the official event disciplines is indeed a historical one; when the first official formulations were made it was decided that, as women at the time did not compete in Pole Vault and Discus Throw, they were not advised to do them in the Combined Events. And because they were women it was decided that fewer and less taxing events (substituting the 800m for the 1500m that the men do, missing out the 100m sprint completely) would be sensible. It was the prevailing view of the time. We know better now.

- there is a Dec for women which exactly matches the mens but it is not official. In the US it is available far more widely than elsewhere, colleges and States run championships but not nationally or internationally. I hope that changes soon.

- No-one will let you know why the equalising rules changes have not yet been made even when Pole Vault has been a sport for women for 20+ years etc but my own view is that the current Hep balance of disciplines favours sprinter/jumper athlete types and disadvantages strength-based or throwing athletes and the history the US and UK have achieved in international events (because they produce sprinter/jumpers) compared to Eastern European or African and Caribbean athletes (who have traditionally produced jumper/thrower types more often) means that the US and UK try to keep it at 7 with the current balance. Just my own view. I hope it changes soon because it's embarrasing to retain this anacronism from a more ignorant era.

- the Dec is, to my mind, the most enthralling competition in international athletics. The balance of speed, strength, technique and flexibility needs to be constantly maintained so that no one discipline falters and destroys the overall achievement. This is shown by one-discipline experts doing a Dec; Lavillenie did a few and scored monster points in Pole Vault but not enough to compensate for Jav, Disc and Shot performances below par. With a mix of 3 throws, 3 jumps and 4 trach disciplines you need to perform in all to win, not just 9. 

- the points system is done by discipline and each disciplines points are reset every few years based upon the actual world achievents within each event so, for example, if someone breaks the world record in Javelin or world performances advance across a broad front, the same performance in Javelin from one year to the enxt will earn fewer points in the Dec because the standard has been inched upwards.

- Daley Thompson was my athletic sporting hero.
That’s absolutely fascinating, AllanW. I had no idea about traditional national athletic discipline preferences, if I can describe it that way.  Like you, I hope for progress and inclusion with the development of the multi disciplinary events for women.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »
Watched it last night but wanted to watch it again before commenting, Asher-Smith was phenomenal, she's head and shoulders above anyone else in the 200m. I stand by my comment earlier in the week that Asher-Smith could well take the 100m next year (olympics) as part of the sprint double. The power out of the blocks and control when she's at full pace are fantastic to see from someone so young.

KJT did brilliantly but her 2 weakest events have been the javelin and the 800m in the past so she could do with a big result in the long jump as well. The most impressive part yesetrday though was the shot, she struggled to get over 12m for a long time so pushing close to 14m is a massive improvement for her. The Javelin is where she needs to do something special though. Her and Thiam have a similar record in the long jump (both normally get something in the 6.50-6.70 range) and she should be able to pick up 5-6 seconds in the 800 but she normally gives Thiam 15-20m in the Javelin and that could cost her the gold here, fingers crossed for her.

Online paul_e

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »
Massive performance from KJT in the long jump to open a great lead now. The Javelin is massive now, if she gets something around her PB she'll be in a great place going into the 800m and could even threaten the british record, fair play to her, she's had a fantastic couple of days.

Online paul_e

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2019, 06:18:31 PM »
Brilliant first throw from her, she'd have gone into that wanting 40+ so over 42 is fantastic, it's good to see that she's put some work into her throws for this year.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
I think she’s heading for a gold. To throw a PB in one of her weaker events is fantastic.

Online paul_e

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2019, 06:54:17 PM »
I think she’s heading for a gold. To throw a PB in one of her weaker events is fantastic.

She's got PBs in her 2 weakest events, she's clearly been working on rounding herself out as an athlete and it's made a massive difference.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2019, 10:18:48 PM »

Online paul_e

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2019, 10:19:19 PM »
Come on KJT, go for the 7000, that's a once in a lifetime achievement!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal