collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread  (Read 34159 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: August 18, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »
Another thing I have noticed is that we seem to have gone back to meekly accepting poor refereeing. We need Ming’s to do a bit of a Terry and slide up to the ref and have a word.
Thier midfield got away with murder yesterday.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #271 on: August 18, 2019, 12:56:29 PM »
Just watched MOTD - Danny Murphy really hates us doesn't he.
Strange editing showed nothing of the yellow card and several potential second yellow

Odious little gimp. I am sure he won't be a on when we click , play well and get a comprehensive win.

No, because he’ll have died of old age by then. Badoom-tish!

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2019, 01:02:04 PM »
Decent review of a Bournemouth fans first visit to Villa Park. ( I cut out the match write up )

"After an underwhelming opening day draw to Sheffield United posed more questions than answers, Bournemouth travelled to Villa with some trepidation, especially given last season's wretched away form.

This was my first visit to Villa Park and after a couple of beers in the away fans' marquee at the Whitton Arms, we headed in to soak up the atmosphere in the sunshine. First impressions were excellent; a proper football stadium with steep stands, fans close to the pitch and impressive atmosphere. As we built towards kick off, the noise from the home fans was deafening, unlike anything I've heard in the Premier League before and far better than atmosphere I've witnessed at Wembley, Anfield or any of the other big stadiums. Obviously, this was partly due to the fans' high spirits at their Premier League return, but as the banner in the Holt End says, they'll definitely be a 12th man for Villa this season.

Verdict - An excellent away win in an intimidating place to visit. A game I think we would have lost last season. We looked far more comfortable in a 442 and with the changes in personnel. Neither Mepham or Rico are quite ready for the rigours of this kind of game.

We really needed a strong start today and we got it. The defence were immense but something still isn't clicking up front. Hopefully Brooks can be the missing piece of the jigsaw when he's back. Better substitutions from Eddie today though, proactive instead of too late.

Villa looked threatening and I think they'll stay up, McGinn in particular was a livewire throughout. I hope they do survive, as I'd love to return to Villa Park, a proper football stadium! Fans on the way out all seemed very reasonable, honest and fair - don't believe everything you see on a forum!"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:05:45 PM by Tuscans »

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
Another thing I have noticed is that we seem to have gone back to meekly accepting poor refereeing. We need Ming’s to do a bit of a Terry and slide up to the ref and have a word.

A lot of the fans have too. Every time I mentioned the poor refereeing or the blatant time wasting / cheating, people look at you like you've dropped out of the sky.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2019, 02:17:36 PM »

A lot of the fans have too. Every time I mentioned the poor refereeing or the blatant time wasting / cheating, people look at you like you've dropped out of the sky.

Around us everyone was up in arms at that.

Mind you, that's the middle Trinity for you #thuglife #gangstas4eva #flasks #blankets

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2019, 02:52:36 PM »

Around us everyone was up in arms at that.

Mind you, that's the middle Trinity for you #thuglife #gangstas4eva #flasks #blankets
No feet stamping? Tsk

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »

VERY disappointing result, but the performance showed some positives.

Increasingly frustrated with Anwar though, looks really lightweight this season. Definitely bench him next week.

Not sure this formation that Smith favours is going to cut it this season, but i don't know what the answer is.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #277 on: August 18, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
Sheff Utd getting more points on the board by the looks of it.

Trust it be us that has the worst start to life in the premiership.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #278 on: August 18, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »

VERY disappointing result, but the performance showed some positives.

Increasingly frustrated with Anwar though, looks really lightweight this season. Definitely bench him next week.

Not sure this formation that Smith favours is going to cut it this season, but i don't know what the answer is.

We were very predictable in our wide play yesterday. I think a bit of a tactical realignment is in order to a 4231 set up, with the two new full backs brought in. Smith decision to exclude both of them is inexplicable. With two holding midfielders it will give our full backs a bit more licence to get forward. Given Wes struggles thus far we need to get Hourihane back into the team, either next to Luiz or further up the pitch.

------------------Heaton
Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Targett
-------------Luiz, Marvelous
------McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane
---------------------Wes

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #279 on: August 18, 2019, 03:57:58 PM »
Feel we're a bit naive at the moment.

The selection of Elmo and Taylor for one. We are wasting territory and good positions with the absence of quality delivery or quality attacking play from the full backs.

Naive in our defending. Part of that is perhaps coming to terms with the league, but Heaton and his error doesn't feature in that excuse, but Douglas and his did.

I feel Trezuguet looks capable, El Ghazi is out of form and Wesley is too deep. There needs to be better organisation uo front with our movement and the lines we pick. Adding overlapping full backs who can deliver a ball or take an opponent out with a run in advanced of the wide men would benefit us.

I thought it might take a bit of time to come to terms with the league. Our mistakes are certainly punished, whereas we let Bournemouth off a few times yesterday.

We need to be more capable up front. I'd take a point against Everton.

There's concerns, but when is there not? But there's also cause for optimism.

We need to wise up quickly, pick our best players and cut out the foolish errors.

A bit of composure from Heaton and Douglas at two crucial moments and we win the game.

Bournemouth are a very cynical side. They take a lot of time out of the game throwing themselves to the ground and rolling about. Billings should have been sent off too. Second half we forced them into giving up possession cheaply and created enough opportunities to have got a point.

Everton will be a stiffer test and we'll only get something out then we have to stop gifting opposition. It's a gift starting Taylor and Elmo.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #280 on: August 18, 2019, 03:58:43 PM »
Sheff Utd getting more points on the board by the looks of it.

Trust it be us that has the worst start to life in the premiership.

Christ almighty, it's two games!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #281 on: August 18, 2019, 04:02:05 PM »
Can we practise set pieces and not keep taking wanky short corners, pretty please? VAR is going to lead to loads of soft penalties for pulls and such like. You won't get one if you refuse to get the ball into the area though...

Offline Villa75

« Reply #282 on: August 18, 2019, 04:02:37 PM »
Unused season tickets, with people away on holiday, are still counted on the attendance aren't they?

Yep.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #283 on: August 18, 2019, 04:08:53 PM »
It does make me laugh people complaining about our full backs, especially not overlapping. Bournemouth were always going to be a serious threat with their two speedy wingers. Their first job was to defend and both did their job extremely well. The whole defence is the one thing that seems to have gelled and looks solid.

That said, I was surprised Guilbert didn't start yesterday. Bournemouth at home would have been a far more comfortable baptism than Everton. Add to that, Elmo has had little time off over the summer and at some point that will catch up with him.

As for the ref yesterday, he completely lost his bottle and Billings should have gone for the tackle on Jack. I watched part of the Man City - Spurs game and Sterling was booked for a challenge far softer than any of Billings. I hope that's the last time we see Atkinson ref a Villa game this season.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #284 on: August 18, 2019, 04:11:44 PM »
Disappointing result. Those two early goals were unforgivable errors. As the first half progressed we settled and started to play better but I thought we were very slow going forward, giving Bournemouth the opportunity to get behind the ball and defend. We need to break faster, we did last week against Spurs a few times, resulting in a goal. Referee was shocking. Second half we played better and pressured them, but weren't clinical enough. Full backs were defensively ok but poor going forward, so I would replace both for the Everton match, as we need our FBs joining the attack. Wesley probably needs patience and support to get the best out of him. "Mingles" look a very good pairing. SJM is playing well and will improve with more matches. Jack needs to be quicker and release the ball sooner. Douglas Luis after a shaky start looks the "dogs" and will probably be our player of the season. We go again, UTV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal