collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread  (Read 34151 times)

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
I'd like to see us go with this side against Everton.  The full backs haven't done a lot wrong to be fair but I think we need to offer more going forward, but still have the insurance of defensive midfielders.  Grealish not stuck out on the wing but floating around, as he does.  I also appreciate that you are not supposed to pick the team on the coach on the way back from the game, but here goes;
                   Heaton
Guilbert  Engels   Mings   Targett
         Nakamba   Douglas
  Grealish   McGinn  Trezeguet
                 Wesley

The problem with width is what’s the point of crosses with no aerial threat up top? Grealish missed an easy header and without him you’ve got the likes of McGinn and Taylor in the box with very little chance of getting on the end of anything.

I like the look of Wesley in a lot of aspects but he doesn’t seem to be any threat in the air, movement not great, and that doesn’t half narrow down your options going forward.

We had 7 shots on target today and I feel, if Wesley isn't that useful, the goals have to come from elsewhere.  Targett and Guilbert are better, scoring wise that Taylor and Elmo.  All about opinions I suppose but the goals don't need to necessarily come from the centre forward alone.

FWIW, Benteke had 1 goal in his first 7 matches for us.. an established Premier League squad at the time. Let's see if Wesley can come good.
I think he'll be ok with a few more games under his belt. With all the ball and chances we made he didn't really have anything clean cut to run on or head.
I think it was more that he was not getting there or making runs that attract goal scoring oppportunities.
Hmmm, I disagree. I watched him come of his man a few times and made angle runs but wasn't being picked out by Jack or John. And the crosses were either lofted floaties or behind him. I think there's a player there....might be wrong but it's taken a quite few players over the years at top clubs to get the ball rolling.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
Tuscans you probably had a better view, let’s hope you are right Mate.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2019, 06:17:01 PM »
Tuscans you probably had a better view, let’s hope you are right Mate.
Ha Ha, it was probably as good a view as yours mate, on the sofa in front of the laptop. I suppose I'm hoping a bit but I don't think anyone can write him off just yet until he has the chances and doesn't put them away. They can't all be Dublins and Bentekes straight away...some might be Forlans!  ;)

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
Dean got it wrong today - I hope he realizes soon that in this league, we need to be bold and adventurous.

The full backs did nothing wrong but nothing right either and without adventure there, it’s like playing with 10 men - he has to go for it and bring in Targett and Guilbert against Everton. We need to score goals else this league kills you.

And Dean has to get hold of Grealish and really start coaching him as the leader of this team.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2019, 06:25:52 PM »
It’s going to be a long season. We’ll get better but will it be quick enough. Bit worried about Wes and goals. Still, we’ve got cash and if needs be we can get a striker in Jan. I think the smaller squads will struggle with injuries so am still optimistic we’ll beat the drop. Newcastle look awful.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »
Mixed feelings about the game. Hopefully we’ve worked out that giving teams who are set up to counter attack you a 2 goal head start within 15 minutes isn’t the best way to go about things. They had very quick players and were first to every second ball in the first half, but we did improve. Wes really struggled, and I think we saw both the best and the worst of Douglas but I think they will come good within time.

Thought Atkinson was poor, we certainly didn’t get the rub of the green with decisions. What did their guy have to do to get sent off?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »
Villa Park was great today. Went early and spent some time in the family fun zone. New signage is excellent and oh the ST cards didn’t work had to queue up for paper tickets but other than that it’s just the result that was disappointing.
Despite the horror show in the first 12 minutes we should have won this game. We were wasteful and naive. Need to grow up fast to survive.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2019, 06:29:24 PM »
The mistakes we made today weren't punished just because we are in the Premier League. They were just rank poor mistakes.

Bournemouth have decent forwards but are often a sieve as well so although we were better than them in the second half and deserved something from the game, we had to do better with the crosses and the shots. Aside from the blocks and the header, there was wayward shooting from good positions and as Hourihane didn't feature, our goal threat was further diminished.

I know it's early, but I don't get Wesley and the approach play with him seems muddled and the outcome random. The bizarre lack of decent forward options compounds the issue.

Fans complained about the refereeing in the Championship, but if Atkinson is anything to go by, my expectations won't be high.

richtheholtender

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2019, 06:30:21 PM »
I can’t see how the Fulham thing can be thrown at us anymore when we continually play the team that got us promoted. For me, Taylor and Elmo weren’t the correct selections in a game where we needed to attack from the off. Targett and Fred (is he injured) should have started. If it’s because of this “continuity” reason, then I certainly think Jed steer will be watching and scratching his head.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
From what I've seen of the opening two weekends, our players are good enough. Our play is good enough. Individual errors are killing us. Frustrated, annoyed, but confident.

I still want more from the triumvirate that saw us over the line last season, Grealish, McGinn and El Ghazi. All three need to be quicker in thought and deed. And put some weight in the passes.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2019, 06:36:53 PM »
Is it worth going for Llorente on a short-term basis? Could do a job up until January and at least it'd be another option.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
possibly, we need something. Does anyone know why Guilbert isn't even making the squad after playing so well in pre-season? I can understand Nakamba  not being up to speed but omitting Fred seems barmy. And El Ghazi needs dropping for Everton.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2019, 06:39:13 PM »
Is it worth going for Llorente on a short-term basis? Could do a job up until January and at least it'd be another option.

I think bigger fish than us are in for him.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2019, 06:44:42 PM »
Not quite sure why our full backs are coming in for any criticism.
Of all of our longer serving players, both Elmo and Taylor have stepped up massively.
I go so far as to say that Elmo is also the best winger at the club and I’d rather see him playing in the position occupied by either AEG or Trezeguet.

I think both McGinn and Jack are struggling to pick up the pace and power of the prem and need to pick up on their performances.
Once they do though I think we will see a big improvement in the results.

I’m glad we have for these two ‘firsts’ out of the way.

I

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal