collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 113944 times)

Online Duncan Shaw

Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #285 on: July 29, 2019, 08:41:03 AM »
Right now I think we'll stay up comfortably but I'd guess most teams think that at the moment. The recruitment looks good and if the club keeps the feelgood factor rolling we could be in for an enjoyable season. 12th to 14th with no drama is realistic I think but equally I'd take 17th and a last day escape.

I wouldn't tbh. 17th to me either means long spells of season in bottom 3 so long winless runs and struggling to score goals (if the Lambert seasons were anything to go by) or we're comfortable in mid table and then decline in last few months which would put Smith's job under massive threat (if you don't believe it look at how Brighton casually dismissed Hughton a day after final game and they're a very well run club).

When you look at our fixture list we play one top 6 club at home up to start of January. We have many winnable home games first half of the season so it is there to get up to 15 points by October, 25 by xmas fixtures and generally have a decent gap over the teams that have harder starts and only win one of their first 10 like Newcastle I think did last year.

Want a comfortable season where we stay around mid table area, play good football home and away and take a few big scalps. Maybe it's too good to true but I imagine the owners are thininking they've invested 100m + not to be in bottom 3 for large chunks of the season. Certainly Sheffield United and Norwich have barely spent anything compared to us.

I'd happily take 17th.  After watching on Saturday we are lacking firepower/cutting edge to trouble PL defences IMO (having not seen Wes play) so unless we add some depth there I think we may struggle for goals.  I think we will take time to step-up/settle and gel and we all need to be patient if this happens.  Once settled I think we'll be OK.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #286 on: July 29, 2019, 10:31:12 AM »
had a debate on this in the office this morning, got the usual "doing a Fulham" and "Villa fans gtting ahead of themselves" when I predicted 9-12th place finish. The most sensible comment was "you need to score regular goals in this league, you are up for a relegation battle if you dont" which if im honest, is my one worry in terms of our strike force. We dont know how Wesley will perform. Im not filled with confidence by Hogan, RHM or Davies and rumours are Kodjia will be gone this week. The only saving grace is that in Grealish, McGinn, El Ghazi, Jota, Trezeguet, Hourihane and Even Green and Lansbury, We have a MF that is full of goals and will hopefully make up the difference.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:37:27 AM by mattjpa »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #287 on: July 29, 2019, 12:49:42 PM »
I am not a betting man and especially not on anything to do with Villa as it would be the ultimate kiss of death

But I took a look at the odds checker tool for the game against Spurs and even though I know they are a very decent team we are 12/1 to win the game - 12 to fucking 1 in an opening day fixture against a team that was promoted and on a high from Pre season

5-0 thumping then  :'(

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #288 on: July 29, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
I am not a betting man and especially not on anything to do with Villa as it would be the ultimate kiss of death

But I took a look at the odds checker tool for the game against Spurs and even though I know they are a very decent team we are 12/1 to win the game - 12 to fucking 1 in an opening day fixture against a team that was promoted and on a high from Pre season.

As I said before, lump on that, it's free money.  We're riding the wave of the feel good factor and have played well in pre-season.  Harry Kane has never scored on the first day of the season either.  2-0 Villa.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #289 on: July 29, 2019, 12:58:37 PM »
Optimistic 10th to 14th, pessimistic 14th to 17th.
There’s some utter dross in the PL and we need to rise above the Burnley’s, Watford’s, Palace’s and Southampton’s which I’m sure we are well equipped to do.
I’m expecting a few pleasant surprises along the way including a decent cup run.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #290 on: July 29, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »

But I took a look at the odds checker tool for the game against Spurs and even though I know they are a very decent team we are 12/1 to win the game - 12 to fucking 1 in an opening day fixture against a team that was promoted and on a high from Pre season.

As I said before, lump on that, it's free money.  We're riding the wave of the feel good factor and have played well in pre-season.  Harry Kane has never scored on the first day of the season either. 2-0 Villa.

Ffs.

I know who I'll be making Fantasy League captain in week one.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 02:29:52 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »

As I said before, lump on that, it's free money.  We're riding the wave of the feel good factor and have played well in pre-season.  Harry Kane has never scored on the first day of the season either. 2-0 Villa.

Ffs.

I know who ill be making Fantasy League captain in week one.

My advice would be Tyrone Mings.  Nice big clean sheet bonus.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
Free money 😂

It's not but it is tempting.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
It does seem generous. I never bet on Villa, though, so it's a no from me.

If someone can persuade Damo to bet on Tottenham, I might start to fancy our chances.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
I've got Wesley and Jack in my dream team.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »
Anyone want to do a PL league through draft? It’s an option of the PL site. 8 teams max I believe.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2019, 04:23:15 PM »
I can do that if you want. I have no idea what I'm doing as I've hardly watched the Premier League in the last three years!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »

If someone can persuade Damo to bet on Tottenham, I might start to fancy our chances.

My football betting diary is already filled in and completed right up until the end of August.
Saturday 10th August 530pm Spurs 2 Villa 0

Your welcome  ;)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2019, 06:47:53 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted already but this is the Graun's piece on the forthcoming season.  They have us finishing 15th.  Plenty of discussion BTL too but it's perhaps best avoided by those easily offended.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/29/premier-league-201920-preview-no-2-aston-villa#comment-131501930

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #299 on: July 29, 2019, 07:19:00 PM »

My football betting diary is already filled in and completed right up until the end of August.
Saturday 10th August 530pm Spurs 2 Villa 0

Your welcome  ;)

YEEEESSSS!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal