collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread  (Read 80352 times)

Offline walsall villain

Re: Championship Play-off Final : Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
Yea, dominated by the Albion for 150 minutes? What an absolute load of horseshit.
We had more possession, shots, corners by some margin. But Albion completely dominated us in terms of fouls, bookings and sendings off.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
Yea, dominated by the Albion for 150 minutes? What an absolute load of horseshit.

Nothing screams domination like sub-30% possession!

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »

Nothing screams domination like sub-30% possession!

Paul Lambert thought they were excellent.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
Sure does look like we were lucky to get through and the Bitters were the better side for most of the tie

Possession 71% v 29%
Shots 45 v 15
On target 12 v 5
Corners 25 v 8

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:10 PM »
Sure does look like we were lucky to get through and the Bitters were the better side for most of the tie

Possession 71% v 29%
Shots 45 v 15
On target 12 v 5
Corners 25 v 8

PWS you can make up anything you want with stats....I bet the quality of the bitter birds 29% possession, 15 shots off target, 5 on target and their 8 corners were alot better than our poor quality 71%possession,45 shots, 12 on traget and 25 corners....

UTV
The Doc

Offline danno

« Reply #260 on: May 22, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »
Charitably you could argue Albion were excecuting their game plan more effectively than ours over 150 minutes. Keep it tight hope to score from a set piece.

But that's mostly because playing unambitious spoiling football is easier to implement. They were possibly ahead in the tie longer than we were?

They certainly weren't unlucky, they played for penalties, and lost on penalties.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #261 on: May 22, 2019, 01:58:00 PM »
They played for penalties from 12:00 on the Saturday, the massive fucking cowards.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
Fuck the Albion let’s get back on important stuff. Lampard tried to go toe to toe with us twice and ended up with a bloody nose both times so my guess is that he is going to change course and stop us playing. It could turn out to be a real tight struggle.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 02:17:14 PM by olaftab »

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »
Fuck the Albion let’s get back on important stuff. Lampard tried to go toe to toe with us twice and ended up with a bloody nose both times do my guess is that he is going to change course and stop us playing. It could turn out to be a real tight struggle.

This. Unfortunately.

Everyone expecting quite an open game but I don't think so somehow. Lampard will have looked at the last 20 mins of last year's final where we knocked and knocked on Fulham's door and couldn't carve out a real, true chance, and he's seen the exact same happen v WBA last week.

They'll play to frustrate us. I trust Dean to account for that and drill defence & midfield to keep things very tight at the back to try to force a final 10 minutes (or Extra Time) where Derby have to start attacking, and then hopefully we can punish them.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 02:21:38 PM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2019, 02:31:04 PM »

-------------------Steer
Elmo, Tuanzebe, Mings, Hause
-----------Whelan, Hourihane
----McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi
----------------Abraham

Exactly the team I'd go for.

Yup. Derby will try to go through the middle rather than the wings. They'll probably play two an energetic up front to try and stretch the central defence to create gaps but it's the midfield where the game will be won.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #265 on: May 22, 2019, 02:57:25 PM »
This is the only time I'm not going to make a prediction I don't want to jinx anything.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #266 on: May 22, 2019, 03:20:37 PM »
nor do I, but I'm not super confident at the mo for some reason. Maybe its the stories of fat Frank off to Chelsea and Terry off to Middlesboro that's discombobulating me.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2019, 04:10:10 PM »

-------------------Steer
Elmo, Tuanzebe, Mings, Hause
-----------Whelan, Hourihane
----McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi
----------------Abraham

Exactly the team I'd go for.

Yup. Derby will try to go through the middle rather than the wings. They'll probably play two an energetic up front to try and stretch the central defence to create gaps but it's the midfield where the game will be won.

Set up to stop Derby? That's soooo 2018.

Offline DennisHodgetts

« Reply #268 on: May 22, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »
I live near to and work in Derby. Most Derby fans do not believe they will win and genuinely do not believe they are good enough to even give a decent show in the Prem and would be straight back down. Of the likely play-off finalists I would have picked Derby over just about any of the other likely contenders and am so glad we have avoided Leeds.
Surely this should be our year, surely we can't bottle it at Wembley THIS YEAR. I think there will be goals, but we will turn up and do them for a third time this season 3-1 the Villa, but then again it is Villa.....

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #269 on: May 22, 2019, 04:31:48 PM »
I live near to and work in Derby. Most Derby fans do not believe they will win and genuinely do not believe they are good enough to even give a decent show in the Prem and would be straight back down. Of the likely play-off finalists I would have picked Derby over just about any of the other likely contenders and am so glad we have avoided Leeds.
Surely this should be our year, surely we can't bottle it at Wembley THIS YEAR. I think there will be goals, but we will turn up and do them for a third time this season 3-1 the Villa, but then again it is Villa.....

It augers well if their fans don't think they'll win. As a fan, I tend not to have claret & blue spectacles (although that doesn't stop me having ridiculous superstitions), and I feared for us last year pre-Fulham, probably because I'd seen them batter us not too long before. We should win Vs Derby. There's every chance that we won't, but it'll be our own fault if we don't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal