collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by KRS
[Today at 11:03:17 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 11:01:12 AM]

VAR by Risso
[Today at 11:01:08 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by KRS
[Today at 11:03:17 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 11:01:12 AM]

Re: VAR by Risso
[Today at 11:01:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:58:20 AM]

Re: VAR by Drummond
[Today at 10:57:38 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Risso
[Today at 10:56:14 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Drummond
[Today at 10:55:33 AM]

Re: VAR by OCD
[Today at 10:54:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Short corners  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Short corners
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
I don't want us to stop doing them, I want them to be done better. I think we're top in goals from set pieces, but I don't think many of them are headers from corners. With our attributes, I think it's good we try to change the angle, work something. We've not always done it, horses for courses, and keep the opposition guessing. Anyone can guess our formation and the side most weeks, but not the little changes to play the coaching team seem able to make from game to game.

And the goal kicks, they're ace. I prefer watching our defenders skimming crisp passes past the toes of optimistically hopeful attackers to contesting headers and flick-ons on the half way line. I'd move to Sheffield if that was my bag.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 12:47:09 PM »
I agree completely, LFS.

Online KRS

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 04:54:34 PM »
I think, on the whole, that was specifically to deal with tall Albion defenders and not an ongoing strategy
This. Punting corners into the box against Baggies would have been as hopeless as our persistent and unsuccessful crosses...even the good crosses were easily dealt with by their 10 giants in the box. Very frustrating team to play against when they set up like that.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »
Just mix it up.  And do them better.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
it’s sometimes difficult to watch us play ourselves into trouble instead of clearing the ball
it’s sometimes difficult to see us piss about with corners instead of getting the ball into the box

but you know what I’ve waited all my life to see us play a possession type football
to see us passing it out from the back, short quick free kicks, not lumping it forward aimlessly

so I’m not going to start complaining now when we run into a few problems trying to play that style

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »
Nothing wrong with short corners....now and than but when it's every corner you sort of lose the tactical advantage. I do like the idea of Jack receiving the ball and heading toward the corner of the box pulling opposition players towards him.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 05:28:46 PM »
it’s sometimes difficult to watch us play ourselves into trouble instead of clearing the ball
it’s sometimes difficult to see us piss about with corners instead of getting the ball into the box

but you know what I’ve waited all my life to see us play a possession type football
to see us passing it out from the back, short quick free kicks, not lumping it forward aimlessly

so I’m not going to start complaining now when we run into a few problems trying to play that style

Totally agree. Safety first seems safe in the moment, but the amount of the ball you concede and the general chaos you introduce to your own game by going long every time is actually a pretty good way to ensure that the opposition get to run at your defence a few times per match, which isn't really safe.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »

Totally agree, it's all about percentages and the opposition. Also agree that the corners should be "mixed" up and varied. But at least we're trying something different and inventive, which we've been crying out for.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 07:09:43 PM »
Got to agree, it was doing my head in as well. The best corner we took was the one we actually took properly.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
I kept thinking isn't Jack best suited to hang around outside the box for any clearances, like Cardiff at home last season.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 07:41:41 PM »

Amen brother, amen.

Also, regarding the playing out from the back. It was the only way we could entice the hermit crabs out their poxy shell.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 08:50:04 PM »
It’s fine if you mix it up, but if you keep doing it it’s way too predictable.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »
It’s fine if you mix it up, but if you keep doing it it’s way too predictable.

Man City don’t mix it up
and we’re defo as good as them

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 01:02:01 PM »
I love em because Tammy is not a very good target man and the long kicks just gave them the ball. We absolutely must play out from defense they way were set up. But yes it was a bit squeaky bum time.
I agree, Frank, but we often lumped it to Abraham in open play; rather than getting in on the floor and playing it to feet or into channels.
I've been arguing for a while to play Davis alongside Abraham, as a way to mix up the attacking approach and fight fire with fire, in response to the big bruising Championship Centrebacks. Not going to happen now, of course.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
Is it not well-known on here that we've recently won ten games in a row, went twelve unbeaten, losing two in fifteen, one of which was to the Champions in a game we don't seem to have taken very seriously, the other losing to a side playing 9-0-1 who only scored through a towel-assisted line-out* but still coming out victorious overall?

The spirit of the good ol' 442 is embedded and will take a while to expunge, it would seem.

*pinched from adrenachrome from the other day. Loved it, can't wait to use it face-to-face!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal