collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: WBA v Aston Villa Post Match Thread (FUCK THE ALBION)  (Read 53869 times)

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
Re: WBA v Aston Villa Post Match Thread (FUCK THE ALBION)
« Reply #450 on: May 18, 2019, 10:59:54 PM »
Best wishes here also Mike. Not sure where your Pa is, home hospice or hospital, but I hope it’s as comfortable for him as can be. Precious hours/days at the end. Please do keep us posted if you wish, most important use of a post match thread ever. Massive Love to all.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:24:02 AM by purpletrousers »

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #451 on: May 18, 2019, 11:06:31 PM »
My dad's got hours or days to live. This has cheered me up immensely. There are football fan sites and there is Heroes and Villains.

Stay with us Mike. It happened to me last year and this place is a haven. With you all the way my freind.

Mike, as Nev says H&V is a haven, a wide pool of shared experience, love and support. There have been many times when the support of people on here whom I have never actually met has made all the difference to me.

On this very day in 1981 when I was seven my Dad, who had been admitted to Kiddy General only a few days before with a suspected stomach ulcer, died from cancer, cirrhosis and pneumonia. The poignancy of the dates was weighing so heavily upon me that writing my cheery posts from my hospital bed earlier was in part an attempt at reaching out to my wider Villa family (my missus is in Scotland at the moment and my blood family are bloody useless) for support. You have, I see, already noted the flow of wellwishing that happens when you reach out on here.

That's the power of H&V.

We're all with you, all the way. Stay with us and keep talking if you want or need to. Rest assured we'll do everything we can to support you.

All love and thinking of you and your Dad.

Rodders x

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:29:04 PM by Rodders »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #452 on: May 19, 2019, 12:27:35 AM »
All the best to mike and Rodders, and everybody else for that matter.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #453 on: May 19, 2019, 12:33:24 AM »
Been through the same Mike. Thoughts with you and your dad.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #454 on: May 19, 2019, 01:21:57 AM »
Mike, all the best. I've been where you are and, though the sadness never leaves you, grief turns to gratitude in a weird way. Nothing is harder though so look after yourself.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #455 on: May 19, 2019, 01:34:04 AM »
My dad's got hours or days to live. This has cheered me up immensely. There are football fan sites and there is Heroes and Villains.

Stay with us Mike. It happened to me last year and this place is a haven. With you all the way my freind.

Mike, as Nev says H&V is a haven, a wide pool of shared experience, love and support. There have been many times when the support of people on here whom I have never actually met has made all the difference to me.

On this very day in 1981 when I was seven my Dad, who had been admitted to Kiddy General only a few days before with a suspected stomach ulcer, died from cancer, cirrhosis and pneumonia. The poignancy of the dates was weighing so heavily upon me that writing my cheery posts from my hospital bed earlier was in part an attempt at reaching out to my wider Villa family (my missus is in Scotland at the moment and my blood family are bloody useless) for support. You have, I see, already noted the flow of wellwishing that happens when you reach out on here.

That's the power of H&V.

We're all with you, all the way. Stay with us and keep talking if you want or need to. Rest assured we'll do everything we can to support you.

All love and thinking of you and your Dad.

Rodders x

Beautifully put Rodders. So that must have been not three weeks after Highbury you lost your pops? I can’t quite imagine all that any reference to the glory days must additionally bring up for you. Not got loads of voice but well capable of tapping out messages on what’s app, keep in touch bro.

I sent Rodders this image earlier, hoping to be put to use soon. Acknowledging this post match thread might need shifting to be a post life/H’enders in the Sky thread at some point, but for now at least it speaks the truth of the circle of life.

Offline mike

« Reply #456 on: May 19, 2019, 05:46:00 AM »
Wow, thanks guys, I was just saying how much Rodders' story had cheered me up and reminded me what a nice bunch of people are on here. The circle of life thing is true. Today is Dad's birthday, my lad's was on Tuesday. Today is the first day I won't be visiting my Dad because I'm taking my lad and his mates for a stadium tour of Villa Park. Dad's sedated, comfortable and with my sisters and I'm quite sure he'd be furious if I didn't take the boys for their day at Villa Park. Thanks again.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2019, 06:05:17 AM »
Sorry to hear that news Mike. My thoughts are with you.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2019, 07:13:19 AM »
Thoughts with you Mike. Hope you can switch off it for a short while today.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #459 on: May 19, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
So sorry to hear this Mike. I have been through it a few times and it doesn't get any easier. I suspect I am in your Dad's age range and the last thing I would want is to spoil the grandchildren's day out.

Offline mike

« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2019, 08:46:46 AM »
Interesting fact related to my Dad... his dad went to the first ever Wembley FA Cup final and I took my dad to the last.

Offline Rodders

« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2019, 08:59:37 AM »
Thanks PT. It's not a bad thing when supporting Villa to have your initial wonderful experiences tinged with some sadness - sets you up for the rest of your life following the club!

In a very roundabout way I have my Dad to thank for being Villa. He had no interest in football whatsoever (being a Gloucestershire man) but I had a 1980-81 Division 1 plastic football with all the teams printed into the hexagons, and when he was well enough to have a kickabout he would be Wolves, because he had lectured at the Polytechnic there, and I would be Villa because I liked the colours and thought I stood a chance of being taken to a game as Birmingham wasn't far from Kiddy, where he lectured at the FE college. It took me til I passed my driving test in 91 to actually get to Villa Park and stand on the Holte End for the first time as my Mum thought all sport a ridiculous enterprise, but I could feel Dad smiling on me as I watched Platt and Nielsen put 2 past Inter that night.

Mike, my elder son, bless him, has accepted the dross he has seen over the last several years since wanting to follow his Dad down the Trinity Road and has finally seen some excitement this season, thank the Gods.

I've always said to him that I'd understand if he wants to follow another team, but he has been absolutely resolute in his support since I took him to meet Styrene Ron at the club shop and get his shirt signed. We even got on AVTV that day! He has a season ticket for Leyton Orient as he lives in Walthamstow, but Villa are his first love and will remain so. He's already experienced one promotion this season, so hope we can make it two✌

I hope that your Dad remains comfortable. He'd be chuffed as anything that you and your lad will be at Villa Park on his birthday. I can't raise a real glass to him as I'm still mainlining antibiotics through a drip, but I am toasting him with my terrible, piss weak hospital coffee. I hope that that would make him smile ☺

Mike's Dad, ladies and gentlemen ☕

Thoughts are with you all.

Rodders x
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:16:00 AM by Rodders »

Offline mike

« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2019, 09:19:03 AM »
Thanks PT. It's not a bad thing when supporting Villa to have your initial wonderful experiences as a Villa supporter tinged with some sadness - sets you up for the rest of your life following the club!

In a very roundabout way I have my Dad to thank for being Villa. He had no interest in football whatsoever (being a Gloucestershire man) but I had a 1980-81 Division 1 plastic football with all the teams printed into the hexagons, and when he was well enough to have a kickabout he would be Wolves, because he had lectured at the Polytechnic there, and I would be Villa because I liked the colours and thought I stood a chance of being taken to a game as Birmingham wasn't far from Kiddy, where he lectured at the FE college. It took me til I passed my driving test in 91 to actually get to Villa Park and stand on the Holte End for the first time as my Mum thought all sport a ridiculous enterprise, but I could feel Dad smiling on me as I watched Platt and Nielsen put 2 past Inter that night.

Mike, my elder son, bless him, has accepted the dross he has seen over the last several years since wanting to follow his Dad down the Trinity Road and has finally seen some excitement this season, thank the Gods.

I've always said to him that I'd understand if he wants to follow another team, but he has been absolutely resolute in his support since I took him to meet Styrene Ron at the club shop and get his shirt signed. We even got on AVTV that day! He has a season ticket for Leyton Orient as he lives in Walthamstow, but Villa are his first love and will remain so. He's already experienced one promotion this season, so hope we can make it two✌

I hope that your Dad remains comfortable. He'd be chuffed as anything that you and your lad will be at Villa Park on his birthday. I can't raise a real glass to him as I'm still mainlining antibiotics through a drip, but I am toasting him with my terrible, piss weak hospital coffee. I hope that that would make him smile ☺

Mike's Dad, ladies and gentlemen ☕

Thoughts are with you all.

Rodders x

Thanks, Rodgers. Like you, I took pity on my boy when he was constantly having the micky taken out of him at school and said he could support a Prem team too if he wanted but he has stood firm. The day after he was born, we beat Arsenal at their place. Part of his present was a programme from the day and a 2011 away shirt.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #463 on: May 19, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »
Very sorry to hear that Mike.

Offline Rodders

« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
That's brilliant, Mike.

I hope that you both have a fantastic day around VP. My elder lad's first game was the 1-1 against the Stripey Filth in 2012; FTA is a chant very close to my heart, as it was the first one he ever learned and sang on the Holte as a seven year old 😁

All the best and UTV

Rodders x

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal