collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs West Bromwich Albion (Play-off Semi 1st leg): Pre-match Thread  (Read 42740 times)

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
If they are 352, we need to push El Ghazi and the right forward further up the pitch and keep their wing backs or centre halves busy, then, we push our full backs forward and overload them.  They will struggle with SJM's power.  Set pieces will be key too!

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
The only minor concern I have is that if they go 3-5-2, we might get overrun in midfield.  Albert is OK at tracking back though, El Ghazi is so-so at it, but Green isn't at all.  That said, the way Mings and Axel like to get forward, it's sometimes like having an extra midfielder.

Another reason why Kodjia out wide is not a valid option. Think El Ghazi could be key in the tie. We overran their midfield in the 2-2 game but both teams have changed a lot since then. I make it at least 5 personnel changes each.

Offline Dougs Socks

I know it's a Derby, and games such as these are closer than we want them to be, but I have strong feeling that the game may be beyond the Tesco's before we turn up in sandwell.

3-0 and 2-1.

Kiss of death lol

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
This has to be won at VP for me. I don't trust a fine margin to take to the Yawnthorns because Gayle and Rodriguez have a pathological fear of staying upright in the penalty area.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
To the tune of George Ezra's Pretty Shining People (chorus)

Hey Villa boys from Aston
We hate bitter baggies, we hate bitter baggies (repeat)

Just wanted to come up with something different to F-ck the Albion
Come on the Villa boys!

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
The only minor concern I have is that if they go 3-5-2, we might get overrun in midfield.  Albert is OK at tracking back though, El Ghazi is so-so at it, but Green isn't at all.  That said, the way Mings and Axel like to get forward, it's sometimes like having an extra midfielder.

Another reason why Kodjia out wide is not a valid option. Think El Ghazi could be key in the tie. We overran their midfield in the 2-2 game but both teams have changed a lot since then. I make it at least 5 personnel changes each.

Albert looked hella slow against Norwich the other day. He did improve but in the first half he seemed to be running through treacle. Green didn't add anything for me either.

Offline danno

Have a feeling Chris Brunt will get himself sent off, he's been there forever it's bound to have turned him as rabid as Craig at the Trillion Trophy inn.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Have a feeling Chris Brunt will get himself sent off, he's been there forever it's bound to have turned him as rabid as Craig at the Trillion Trophy inn.

Brunt always seems to turn into Lothar Matthäus against us. Still, at least they don't also have Shane Long turning into Gerd Müller as well now.

Offline danno

Brunt always seems to turn into Lothar Matthäus against us. Still, at least they don't also have Shane Long turning into Gerd Müller as well now.

Yep, but this time he will get his long overdue second yellow the niggly little shitehouse!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Back in Jan/Feb I was very confident we could make the play-offs if we could rediscover the early December form, get Jack back fit and the new defenders clicked.  Now we are there I don't feel very confident at all.

The reasons being I think we have been fluffing too many chances recently and although the defence is massively improved, we always seem to have at least one error in us that always seems to get punished.   Plus I can see the meatheads heavily targeting Jack.

We are due a bit of luck against the boggies though so I think we'll sneak the home leg 1-0 or 2-1.   

During the ten match winning run, we kept 5 clean sheets, and only conceded 5 goals in total.  We scored 23.

Stop worrying!

No side has successfully targeted Grealish. Bring it on, let them try. They will fail. He's not lost in a Villa shirt since October.

Didn't Grealish getting clobbered at Albion lead to him being out injured for two months? Or was that somewhere else?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Yeah, that game ruined our season (late surge excepted), not to mention being a travesty.

Offline myf

despite our recent form my main concerns are the early KO - a night game would have been electric - and/or someone losing their head and getting sent off. Otherwise reasonably confident

Offline four fornicholl

despite our recent form my main concerns are the early KO - a night game would have been electric - and/or someone losing their head and getting sent off. Otherwise reasonably confident
I agree, dinner time kick offs aren't in a footballers DNA.

Online KRS

Back in Jan/Feb I was very confident we could make the play-offs if we could rediscover the early December form, get Jack back fit and the new defenders clicked.  Now we are there I don't feel very confident at all.

The reasons being I think we have been fluffing too many chances recently and although the defence is massively improved, we always seem to have at least one error in us that always seems to get punished.   Plus I can see the meatheads heavily targeting Jack.

We are due a bit of luck against the boggies though so I think we'll sneak the home leg 1-0 or 2-1.   

During the ten match winning run, we kept 5 clean sheets, and only conceded 5 goals in total.  We scored 23.

Stop worrying!

No side has successfully targeted Grealish. Bring it on, let them try. They will fail. He's not lost in a Villa shirt since October.

Didn't Grealish getting clobbered at Albion lead to him being out injured for two months? Or was that somewhere else?
Jack was carrying his injury a few weeks before the Baggies game and had to come off because the pain became unbearable...being repeatedly fouled and injured by the Baggies has become another one of those great Villa myths.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012

Stop worrying!

Jack was carrying his injury a few weeks before the Baggies game and had to come off because the pain became unbearable...being repeatedly fouled and injured by the Baggies has become another one of those great Villa myths.
Precisely KRS.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal