collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 909801 times)

Offline itmustbe_it is!

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #4350 on: July 19, 2019, 10:10:53 PM »
more to the point as a long ball merchant team would he fit in ?  zahorre has gone to WBA for 8 million what a waste of money they are wasting . the easiest 8 million we will ever get !

Id say no, he makes lots of good intelligent runs in behind the defence , which we never really played to, and works hard, but if the ball is just lumped up to him he'll be hopeless

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4351 on: July 19, 2019, 10:28:05 PM »
scott hogan being linked to us . what's your thoughts on him and could do he a job under warnock ?

I think Warnock will use him properly and get the ball in to him early.  Colin is a better manager than Bruce and will play to his strengths.  Needs a run of games but is absolutely a championship player. I wonder if there is a swap deal for your keeper going on here?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4352 on: July 19, 2019, 10:29:19 PM »
scott hogan being linked to us . what's your thoughts on him and could do he a job under warnock ?
Lacks basic technique, easily shrugged off the ball and striuggles to make a 5 yard pass, no real pace not good in the air.
Apparently a poacher. that likes to play off the shoulder not that we saw any evidence of that.
I think #20 million should secure his services ;)

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #4353 on: July 19, 2019, 10:47:53 PM »

He'll certainly do a good job for the right team.

Chesterfield perhaps?

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #4354 on: July 19, 2019, 10:57:31 PM »

He'll certainly do a good job for the right team.

Chesterfield perhaps?

Chesterfield ?

Yes please !!!

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #4355 on: July 19, 2019, 11:03:15 PM »
Jordan Veretout has just joined Roma.

He'd be fucking ace in this Smith team wouldn't he.

I don't know what team you support

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4356 on: July 19, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »
more to the point as a long ball merchant team would he fit in ?  zahorre has gone to WBA for 8 million what a waste of money they are wasting . the easiest 8 million we will ever get !

he makes lots of good intelligent runs in behind the defence...

Not digging you out as I've heard a few people say this in relation to Hogan, but his goal return for us suggests otherwise.

Intelligent runs/  movement etc would be similar to what Abraham was doing last year.  Even with 20 + goals a season, TA was taking stick at the time for missing big chances. But he was getting in the right positions/ timing his runs to miss them in the first place.

Hogan was playing behind the likes of Grealish, Albert and Sondgrass in his first full season and Grealish, McGinn and El Ghazi last year. There are plenty of Villa forwards in fairly recent history who could complain about a lack of service. He isn't one of them.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4357 on: July 19, 2019, 11:57:15 PM »
Hogan did absolutely naff all for us at considerable expense, often looking clueless.  Yes conditions were tough at times but that's when good players step up.  He just went further into his shell.

His performance against Swansea in the cup game was one of the most pitiful displays I've ever witnessed. The team were terrible all round, but I'm convinced that as a 42 year old Sunday footballer I could have made more impact.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4358 on: July 20, 2019, 12:36:40 AM »

I think he could do a job under certain circumstanced. Cardiff under Warnock present none of those circumstances.

Edit: we aren't getting rid of him without paying him off. Stick him on the bench and see if he can take his chance, if he gets one.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:38:21 AM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #4359 on: July 20, 2019, 01:18:31 AM »
Hogan did absolutely naff all for us at considerable expense, often looking clueless.  Yes conditions were tough at times but that's when good players step up.  He just went further into his shell.

His performance against Swansea in the cup game was one of the most pitiful displays I've ever witnessed. The team were terrible all round, but I'm convinced that as a 42 year old Sunday footballer I could have made more impact.

I had such high hopes for him but ultimately he is an incredible waste of space on the pitch and team sheet. He genuinely offers nothing as a striker. He doesn’t get involved in build up and he can’t play short and quick. He can’t beat the last defender on through balls with pace and he’s non existent in the air.

He has been a great disappointment. He needs to go back down to the lower levels and regain his confidence. He’s just poor and has never shown any sign of momentum or had a performance that forced the managers hand to put him in the team the next week. Just poor.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4360 on: July 20, 2019, 01:33:04 AM »

I had such high hopes for him but ultimately he is an incredible waste of space on the pitch and team sheet. He genuinely offers nothing as a striker. He doesn’t get involved in build up and he can’t play short and quick. He can’t beat the last defender on through balls with pace and he’s non existent in the air.

He has been a great disappointment. He needs to go back down to the lower levels and regain his confidence. He’s just poor and has never shown any sign of momentum or had a performance that forced the managers hand to put him in the team the next week. Just poor.

He's never been given a chance. The way Bruce played was the opposite of how he needs to play. I mean, I suspect that he's as shit as he seems, but he did hit some form when Agnew came in. We'll never sell him so we might as well try to use him if we can.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4361 on: July 20, 2019, 01:34:46 AM »

he makes lots of good intelligent runs in behind the defence...

Not digging you out as I've heard a few people say this in relation to Hogan, but his goal return for us suggests otherwise.

Intelligent runs/  movement etc would be similar to what Abraham was doing last year.  Even with 20 + goals a season, TA was taking stick at the time for missing big chances. But he was getting in the right positions/ timing his runs to miss them in the first place.

Hogan was playing behind the likes of Grealish, Albert and Sondgrass in his first full season and Grealish, McGinn and El Ghazi last year. There are plenty of Villa forwards in fairly recent history who could complain about a lack of service. He isn't one of them.

He did have good players feeding him, but not the sort of manager that would have them working on it in training and I think that's the big problem. I don't think Hogan has ever been on the same page as most of the rest of our team (I'm not blaming any of the players for that) and it's made him very tentative. He got a little run of games in 17/18 and started to show some hints but nothing like enough and then Bruce replaced him with Grabban and whatever positives there were disappeared again.

I think if he goes somewhere as the main man in attack and they work on feeding him in training he'll score goals. I'm not sure that's Cardiff under Warnock and I'm also not sure it would be enough for anyone looking to trouble the promotion/play off picture. I do know he's definitely not premier league class though, you need to be much more capable of playing for the team and getting involved in build up to be successful there.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4362 on: July 20, 2019, 03:20:57 AM »
I watched him pretty closely the other night and his movement was terrible. Hardly making diagonal runs, pretty much straight down the middle. Had one half chance all night and against very average defending he should have offered a lot more. It’s amazing how much he has fallen off given how decent he looked at Brentford.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 03:22:38 AM by Toronto Villa »

Offline KRS

« Reply #4363 on: July 20, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »
For one reason or another, it quite simply hasn’t worked out for him at Villa. It’s best for both the player and the club that he is sold and we move on.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #4364 on: July 20, 2019, 07:09:27 AM »
Phil ‘return of the dark ages’ McNulty says we are not interested in Sturridge.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal