collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by VillaTim
[Today at 09:48:16 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 09:46:01 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by The Edge
[Today at 09:37:36 PM]

Season Tickets by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:31:00 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Kits 24/25 by nigel
[Today at 08:53:25 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by VillaTim
[Today at 09:48:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 09:46:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by trinityoap
[Today at 09:44:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:43:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by robleflaneur
[Today at 09:41:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 09:41:35 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:40:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Clampy
[Today at 09:40:24 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 926812 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #3600 on: July 12, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »
Interesting signing......

Offline AllanW

« Reply #3601 on: July 12, 2019, 08:39:19 AM »
A word on continuity or squads adjusting to change from one season to another.

Team lineups change every year, often twice a year now in line with transfer windows. Everyone expects it. Because players are human there is an adjustment process involved but good club coaches and managements factor this adjustment process into their training and team management work. They have to, it’s a matter of life and death to them being a results-oriented business; the quicker and more completely they help players through the adjustment process in a new country or with a new language or into a new place of work and into a new style and system of playing, the better for all concerned.

In our case this Summer we had a special problem; a surprise promotion was achieved by a team which included 4 or sometimes 5 loan-players coming together for an extraordinary run of form. So the Summer rebuild had to begin by replacing Mings, El Ghazi, Hause and Abraham because they were not ‘our’ players. Cleverly we replaced them with Mings, El Ghazi and Hause before adding Wesley. They almost literally cleared their lockers out, went on holiday and came back to work a few weeks later where they left off. Not a lot of adjusting to go on here apart from time spent looking at their newly-enlarged bank accounts.

Because we had taken the opportunity to clear the stables out (of some loyal and worthy horses and a couple of old nags) we also needed to add some squad depth to face a step up in league. So far we’ve added a further 3 players in Jota, Konsa and Targett although Luiz looks to be incoming as well. Of these guys half of them have played under Deano in the recent past and know him, his requirements and his style (and presumably like it) so you’d expect them to know pretty much what is expected of them and only have to adapt to the surrounding not so much to the actual work involved. They can be as confident as possible in their move because they will be playing in the same country under a manager they already know and respect. Okay you have to get used to the different colour scheme and some new staff but not a huge adjustment to make, I think.

Which only really leaves a thorough integration process to be needed for those coming from abroad; 3 guys if we include Luiz (Wesley and Guilbert). Not such a difficult job to handle for a big club like ours especially if they all speak English already and are young, ambitious and looking to make a real mark.

I have no trouble believing that the adaptation process is a hard necessity but equally have no worries that the deeply human and sympathetic person that Deano is will already have planned to address this challenge and make a success of it.

Offline frank black

« Reply #3602 on: July 12, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »
Work permit required?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3603 on: July 12, 2019, 08:40:58 AM »
A word on continuity or squads adjusting to change from one season to another.

Team lineups change every year, often twice a year now in line with transfer windows. Everyone expects it. Because players are human there is an adjustment process involved but good club coaches and managements factor this adjustment process into their training and team management work. They have to, it’s a matter of life and death to them being a results-oriented business; the quicker and more completely they help players through the adjustment process in a new country or with a new language or into a new place of work and into a new style and system of playing, the better for all concerned.

In our case this Summer we had a special problem; a surprise promotion was achieved by a team which included 4 or sometimes 5 loan-players coming together for an extraordinary run of form. So the Summer rebuild had to begin by replacing Mings, El Ghazi, Hause and Abraham because they were not ‘our’ players. Cleverly we replaced them with Mings, El Ghazi and Hause before adding Wesley. They almost literally cleared their lockers out, went on holiday and came back to work a few weeks later where they left off. Not a lot of adjusting to go on here apart from time spent looking at their newly-enlarged bank accounts.

Because we had taken the opportunity to clear the stables out (of some loyal and worthy horses and a couple of old nags) we also needed to add some squad depth to face a step up in league. So far we’ve added a further 3 players in Jota, Konsa and Targett although Luiz looks to be incoming as well. Of these guys half of them have played under Deano in the recent past and know him, his requirements and his style (and presumably like it) so you’d expect them to know pretty much what is expected of them and only have to adapt to the surrounding not so much to the actual work involved. They can be as confident as possible in their move because they will be playing in the same country under a manager they already know and respect. Okay you have to get used to the different colour scheme and some new staff but not a huge adjustment to make, I think.

Which only really leaves a thorough integration process to be needed for those coming from abroad; 3 guys if we include Luiz (Wesley and Guilbert). Not such a difficult job to handle for a big club like ours especially if they all speak English already and are young, ambitious and looking to make a real mark.

I have no trouble believing that the adaptation process is a hard necessity but equally have no worries that the deeply human and sympathetic person that Deano is will already have planned to address this challenge and make a success of it.

Is this the Reader's Digest version?

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3604 on: July 12, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »
A word!

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3605 on: July 12, 2019, 08:44:31 AM »

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #3606 on: July 12, 2019, 08:44:52 AM »
Surely a "buy-back clause only means that they have first option, IF we decide to sell, and must at least match any other offers?

Offline frank black

« Reply #3607 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »
Buy back Man city example, doesn’t look like they are overly generous, apparently PSV wanted 20 mil from other clubs

“Man City re-sign left-back Angelino from PSV after activating £5.3m buy-back clause“

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #3608 on: July 12, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »
Yeah as soon as I saw buy back I assumed a figure way below likely market rate otherwise what’s the point?

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #3609 on: July 12, 2019, 08:50:43 AM »
This is hilarious. I expected us to spend a bit of cash but this is far beyond what I’d hoped for.

My thoughts exactly. I'm enjoying this 😎👍
I have to admit I am ambivalent. Yes, these are interesting and exciting times to be a Villa fan but I have to admit to a certain amount of "ring twitch" at the money we are spending. Maybe it's my innate brummie miseryarsedness and I am highly confident that Smith is not Harry "Meltyface" Redknapp but I would hate for us to "do a Portsmouth"

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3610 on: July 12, 2019, 08:53:30 AM »
This is hilarious. I expected us to spend a bit of cash but this is far beyond what I’d hoped for.

My thoughts exactly. I'm enjoying this 😎👍
I have to admit I am ambivalent. Yes, these are interesting and exciting times to be a Villa fan but I have to admit to a certain amount of "ring twitch" at the money we are spending. Maybe it's my innate brummie miseryarsedness and I am highly confident that Smith is not Harry "Meltyface" Redknapp but I would hate for us to "do a Portsmouth"

No, I feel the same. Some of these acquisitions could really go either way... have to trust Dean knows what he's doing, he's given us no reason to doubt in the past, but we are buying a lot of inexperienced players at the moment.

Offline frank black

« Reply #3611 on: July 12, 2019, 08:54:27 AM »
Apparently he didn’t have enough points for a work permit. But by transferring him he gains the required points. I must assume the buy back is going to be circa £17.5 mil and if he’s good he goes back next summer. Oh well let’s hope he does his bit.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3612 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »
Apparently he didn’t have enough points for a work permit. But by transferring him he gains the required points. I must assume the buy back is going to be circa £17.5 mil and if he’s good he goes back next summer. Oh well let’s hope he does his bit.

So it's a loan then ;)

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3613 on: July 12, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »
I would not have thought a buy back clause means citeh can just come in a buy him if he plays well for us.
I would imagine they get the ability to buy him back at an agreed price should villa decide they want to sell, and of course if the player wants to move.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3614 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:47 AM »
We're pinning a lot of hope on these type of signings hitting the ground running when there's not much PL experience in any of them. I just hope it doesn't take six months for them to gel when we're already mired in the relegation zone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal