collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:26:32 PM]

Season Tickets by simboy
[Today at 02:02:28 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by London Villan
[Today at 01:36:33 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Si
[Today at 01:22:56 PM]

The Holte’s Last Stand by Stu82
[Today at 01:02:13 PM]

Championship Memories by Stu82
[Today at 12:57:32 PM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by thick_mike
[Today at 12:53:40 PM]

Kits 24/25 by Monty
[Today at 12:00:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 926890 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #2400 on: June 27, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
Do you think we were too hasty to release the likes of Jedi / Whelan etc without direct replacements coming in or do we think it is all part of the cunning plan.

I am not really bothered about any of the other players released as the only one I think that would have been a starter (Tammy) has been replaced almost immediately. Obviously Mings we should sign but I think this is more Bournemouth trying to play hard ball to get a little more cash so I am hopeful it is only detail that's holding it up.

But the DM role is pivotal to our improvement

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #2401 on: June 27, 2019, 01:17:50 PM »
Can't understand people's arses flapping when it's still June. Some people just love being miserable.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2402 on: June 27, 2019, 01:19:43 PM »
Can't understand people's arses flapping when it's still June. Some people just love being miserable.

Obviously nothing is decided yet. However I have to say, even with a few additions, at the level we've been shopping I can well see next season turning into a struggle.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2403 on: June 27, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »
Some rumours of Kalinic to Nantes with Valentin Rongier coming to us. Skilful midfielder

We should take him on a temporary basis. It would be great to see 'The Loan Rongier' in a Villa shirt. Hi Ho Aston Villa!

If we go down that route we would also need to sign David Silva.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2404 on: June 27, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »

You cheery barsteward.  I am happy being sad.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2405 on: June 27, 2019, 01:44:23 PM »
I understand people getting a bit twitchy but I also think Villa fans in general have a bit of a habit of over-estimating how good other teams are (I guess it's natural brummie pessimism). Norwich won't be anything like as effective in the premier league, Sheffield Utd look pretty weak and then Brighton, Bournemouth, Newcastle (as it stands) and Burnley all look pretty average as well.

I don't think we need to do a huge amount of business to be better than most of those if we can get the team working as we want, and I trust Smith and the coaches to do that part after the improvement we saw last season.

This is what I meant when I asked what 'competitive' means on the Mings thread, does it mean being the best of that group of teams or does it mean pushing on further to challenging people like West Ham, Everton and Wolves for the top 8? I assume no one is genuinely thinking any higher than that.  For me personally it means not being worried about relegation at Easter for next season, we all know that it's a big step up and that Bruce left us with a mess of a squad that will take some time to fix so staying up without too much drama is as far as I'm willing to look.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2406 on: June 27, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »

Obviously nothing is decided yet. However I have to say, even with a few additions, at the level we've been shopping I can well see next season turning into a struggle.

It's still pretty early in the transfer window, and at this stage the only signings I would expect to see happen at those lesser known players moving up a level or two (where there's not a huge amount of transfer competition), and players moving for very big money (where there's not a huge amount of competition, but for different reasons).  Most of the parallel moves between top tier clubs are only likely to start once the merry-go-round gets underway. I would guess our preferred DM is perhaps in this bracket - so unlikely to move unless his club can secure a replacement, which requires movement in the market as a whole.

I would LOVE to see everyone signed before pre-season gets underway, but the reality is that this will only happen if their club doesn't want them, or they don't care/worry about getting replacements.  Yes, we're in the premier league again, but we're not shopping at the top of the food chain, so the chances are a few moves will have to take place before we get the chance to secure our preferred targets.

I'll start to worry a little if we get to the end of July and still don't have a first choice DM replacement for Jedi/Whelan.

Offline jcsutv

« Reply #2407 on: June 27, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
Smith is not Bruce. I’m confident he will go into the season with the right number of players in the right positions. After last summer it’s understandable that some are twitchy, but I think we are in good hands with Deano.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #2408 on: June 27, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
I understand people getting a bit twitchy but I also think Villa fans in general have a bit of a habit of over-estimating how good other teams are (I guess it's natural brummie pessimism). Norwich won't be anything like as effective in the premier league, Sheffield Utd look pretty weak and then Brighton, Bournemouth, Newcastle (as it stands) and Burnley all look pretty average as well.
And they'll all be strengthening just as we are.  They may or may not achieve that better than we do.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2409 on: June 27, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
I'm willing to offer £10 million plus Hogan.

Have we got a deal?
I think that's a fair offer however I would include a box, full box, of Balti Chicken Pukka Pies.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #2410 on: June 27, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »
Do you think we were too hasty to release the likes of Jedi / Whelan etc without direct replacements coming in or do we think it is all part of the cunning plan.

I am not really bothered about any of the other players released as the only one I think that would have been a starter (Tammy) has been replaced almost immediately. Obviously Mings we should sign but I think this is more Bournemouth trying to play hard ball to get a little more cash so I am hopeful it is only detail that's holding it up.

But the DM role is pivotal to our improvement

I really thought we would give Whelan another year, so that we didn't suggests they are confident of replacing him, or he had something else on the table.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2411 on: June 27, 2019, 02:19:17 PM »
do we think any of the kids will step up ?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #2412 on: June 27, 2019, 02:25:25 PM »
do we think any of the kids will step up ?
I'm afraid not.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2413 on: June 27, 2019, 02:38:06 PM »
I'm willing to offer £10 million plus Hogan.

Have we got a deal?
I think that's a fair offer however I would include a box, full box, of Balti Chicken Pukka Pies.

No deal, sorry. I want them.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #2414 on: June 27, 2019, 02:40:31 PM »

You cheery barsteward.  I am happy being sad.

Have you got sunshine in a bag?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal