collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread  (Read 920170 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation thread
« Reply #2340 on: June 26, 2019, 04:58:18 PM »
Man U just paid £50m for Wan Bissaka (SP)....£50m!!!!

I genuinely think the media  / sky have bumped this deal up and put loads of pressure on United to make a big signing - if so then good I hope it back fires in  spectacular fashion

£50 mil for a kid I doubt anyone has ever heard of is ridiculous. I am as impatient as the next person in wanting signings done but would rather be relegated again than fall into that stupid circus.

They glamourize how much transfers are and how much is being spent year on year on the TV shows then look puzzled when smaller teams are forced to copy the model and end up in trouble.

It is the single biggest reason for me to really not like the premiership

He has Garth Crooks to thank for some of that price tag for sure

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #2341 on: June 26, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
Just read that Ipswich have a sell on clause for Webster, which is why they seem to be taking the piss, if true.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2342 on: June 26, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »
Man U just paid £50m for Wan Bissaka (SP)....£50m!!!!

I genuinely think the media  / sky have bumped this deal up and put loads of pressure on United to make a big signing - if so then good I hope it back fires in  spectacular fashion

£50 mil for a kid I doubt anyone has ever heard of is ridiculous. I am as impatient as the next person in wanting signings done but would rather be relegated again than fall into that stupid circus.

They glamourize how much transfers are and how much is being spent year on year on the TV shows then look puzzled when smaller teams are forced to copy the model and end up in trouble.

It is the single biggest reason for me to really not like the premiership

He was excellent last season, probably overpriced but that's how it seems to be now. No different to some not knowing who Richarlison was before Everton bought him despite how good he often looked for Watford.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2343 on: June 26, 2019, 05:07:41 PM »
£50 mil for a kid I doubt anyone has ever heard of is ridiculous.

I reckon anyone with even a passing interest in football will have heard of him.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2344 on: June 26, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
Weren't Arsenal and Citeh rumoured to be prepared to pay forty or fifty million quid for Albion's Jonny Evans two or three years back? Personally I am surprised Maguire is still at Leicester. Another one Manure were apparently prepared to spend a fortune on last year.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2345 on: June 26, 2019, 05:33:27 PM »
I thought he looked a brilliant talent for Palace last season, and thought he would go for £30 ish million this summer. £50 million just shows the market has jumped again from where it was 12-18 months ago. 20% has gone onto every fee.

What I thought (30 million) and what the market would pay a year ago don't necessarily correlate. Bloody accountant types. Go for the numbers not the context.

You might want to recheck your working on that one!  That's 66.6% uplift.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2346 on: June 26, 2019, 05:50:13 PM »
Webster is alright but presumably the price should be similar to what Bournemouth gubbed out for Mepham from Brentford I.e. circa £16m. I am not sure we would necessarily fancy him anyway. Is he right footed?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2347 on: June 26, 2019, 05:55:12 PM »
The Championship clubs are all obviously shitting themselves about FFP, and so are trying to indulge in daylight robbery to sort their P&Ls out.  The danger with that of course, is that they put all potential buyers off, then they end up in trouble over their accounts.    £30m for Webster is absolutely nonsensical.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2348 on: June 26, 2019, 06:06:54 PM »
£50 mil for a kid I doubt anyone has ever heard of is ridiculous.

I reckon anyone with even a passing interest in football will have heard of him.

I genuinely hadn't heard of him until today.

I imagine I probably watched at least one Crystal Palace match last season but I don't remember it.

I also hadn't heard of Richarlison until he signed for Everton.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2349 on: June 26, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »
I really tuned out of the PL so me too. There’s loads of players who wouldn’t have the foggiest if they were worth the daft money being spent on them. £50m for a full back. Fucking hell.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2350 on: June 26, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »
As it goes on Obi Wan Bissaka, we asked about signing him. Then fucked off immediately when we were told what they were looking to screw Man Ure for. If we are willing to shell out a shitload on a full back it bodes well for forthcoming transfers though. It was never a formal bid, more a "do you reckon he might fancy and we would pay up x" question.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2351 on: June 26, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »
We've signed more players than any other PL club so far.  Quite a few haven't made a single signing yet. There's a lot more activity to come for all clubs.  Admittedly we need more rebuilding than most but we have a head start.  There are a lot of piss take fees being bandied around at the moment by selling clubs and a lot of other bluff and bluster.   When buyers refuse to bite or go elsewhere I suspect some better value will be available later in the window.
I'm just drawing conclusions based on very little here, but I reckon Stoke signing a new keeper's allowed us to move in for Butland, that's now been sorted and the last part - Kalinic moving back to France (hinted in papers) - is underway. Sarkic moving out on loan is part of that, cos we know our keepers for next season will be Butland, Steer & Nyland. We're probably confident of Kalinic going, with the £7m or whatever going to take the edge off the Butland fee.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2352 on: June 26, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »
In other random news, and this could be bollocks, Kodjia to Stoke might be one to look out for. I most definitely cannot vouch for the person who told me that so make of it what you wish but might tie in with the Butland chatter.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2353 on: June 26, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »
I hate this fucking market. "Inflated" doesn't quite cover it. Nonsensical and downright offensive at times is a bit closer perhaps

Offline manic-road

« Reply #2354 on: June 26, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »
I really tuned out of the PL so me too. There’s loads of players who wouldn’t have the foggiest if they were worth the daft money being spent on them. £50m for a full back. Fucking hell.

He had a good season at Palace but if you saw his performance in the U21s' against France last week you wouldn't have bid more than 500k.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal